“Great Fun”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
New York City, New York
“Great Fun”
Reviewed August 23, 2012

I've always loved coming here.. It is small in size, but large in quality.. Food is great at a reasonable price, and it is just fun to be here.. I've been coming here for many years, and will bring friends whenever they are here for a visit.. Everyone loves it's casual atmosphere and it is just a great place to hang out..

Westport, Connecticut
“Never, ever in my life...”
Reviewed August 22, 2012

...Have I been treated so rudely by someone in the hospitality business (yes, that's what it is called, dear friends at The Dock). My family and I arrived here late in the afternoon for lunch on a Tuesday. We were told by the waitress that there were no kid menus and the restaurant did not have high chairs (we have twin boys who are 2 and 1/2), both of which were fine with us. We took our seats at a table in the corner of the restaurant and our boys sat on the bench adjacent to the window. We were telling our kids about the menu and one of my boys stood up on the bench but was not loud or disorderly in any way. At that moment the waitress arrived to take our drink order and, right behind her, a man who leaned over her, literally ripped the menu from my husband's hands and told us, "this is not going to work." So to all you restaurants out there who don't want kids and families, listen up: We parents with young kids GET IT but there is absolutely NO EXCUSE for being rude to anyone who comes into your establishment to spend their money. Pathetic!!

• Visited August 2012
3 Thank WalkerWine
Columbia, California
“Eating at the Dock of the Bay, wasting time...”
Reviewed July 16, 2012

(A little homage to the Otis Redding song)

After driving for hours, we asked the locals about the best sit-down place to eat. "If you don't need a view, go to the Dock" was the refrain from many. So instead of some plastic new places facing the water, we went to the locals' joint.

Dark, dingy, woody, fun interior. Insulting signs about cell phones and kids; we loved them. My phone went off and I was afraid I would get kicked out. A good policy!

Service was rushed, simple and not real helpful, but that was OK. The problem was the food. Honestly, the food was the worst of our vacation. Runny cold slaw, overcooked fish, basic fair and too pricey for what it was.

I love locals' joints with atmosphere and history, but next time I would go next door to the newish created wharf complex, pay less and get better food choices. The also have some great views.

Sorry Dock team; we really wanted to love your place. We even waited an hour outside for you to open.

2 Thank travelinman_CA
Windsor, Vermont
“Lots of "no" and "don't" in this place but food was good.”
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Spent the day in Montauk with family including two young children. Unfortunately we had tried to go to two other restaurants in town that were not open for lunch, so by then the kids were a bit cranky. Three carloads of people were trying to figure out where we all were, so my brother unwittingly walked into The Dock making final arrangements on his cell phone with me. A man promptly yelled at him to take it outside. That sets the tone to our lunch.

Our server was kind and joked a bit about all the rules to set us at ease. Fortunately a few snacks and a camera were available to the kids until lunch arrived. That kept them quiet for the right amount of time.

I had a veggie wrap with sundried tomatoes on the specials board that was very good and what I needed. Most others in the family had hamburgers or hotdogs and were all pleased with their meals.

The atmosphere was good and the food was great...we were all hungry! I would go here again, but I would keep in mind that cell phones are silenced and not taken out. Children will need to have their restaurant manners intact...take snacks if you need to.

2 Thank ArloBeagleMom
West Windsor
“Great Tuna Melt”
Reviewed June 27, 2012

We had the tuna melt sandwich ....made with a good size piece of grilled tuna on an english muffin and it was awesome!

• Visited June 2012