“Pleasantly suprised with a last minute trip!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Culloden House Motel

Culloden House Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Montauk
Culloden House Motel
Ranked #35 of 39 Hotels in Montauk
new york city
“Pleasantly suprised with a last minute trip!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2010

It is not easy to find a room last minute during the high season on Montauk and we did! The Culloden House was less expensive than the more "trendy" options, but very comfortable and accommodating. Charming from the start, greeted with a smile and given room#20 in the Soundview portion of the motel. The room was one of only two on Soundview Road with a great shared deck. The room was very clean and comfortable. At first we thought it was too far to Main St. but it was just a 10min, $8 cab ride away(for 2). There wasa lot to do locally, restaurants on the water (Gossman's Dock), just ok, but an amazing view of Montauk Harbor, and a convenient deli one block away for coffee, breakfast, and groceries. All in all a great stay! Plus, a couple of beaches (not on any map) nearby.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank elvartha

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Farmingdale, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2010

We planned a weekend trip to Montauk at the last minute - the Monday before the Friday we wanted to arrive. I did a lot of research online before choosing this place, because Montauk can be EXPENSIVE. Culloden House wound up being just what we were looking for.

First of all, most places in Montauk require a minimum stay of 2-4 nights during the "Peak season." We happened to choose the last weekend of the "Pre-peak-season," which is the last weekend of June, just before 4th of July weekend. When I called another place in the area, not only did they have the minimum two-night stay, but the two nights had to be Saturday and Sunday night. Since neither of us could get off from work for Monday, we said, "Thanks, but no thanks."
Culloden House had vacancy and took a deposit from me over the phone. Their rates were a tad more expensive than it stated on their website at $190 per night (incl. tax), and when I quoted those rates, the woman on the phone said, "Those are our 2009 rates." That bothered me, because that's sort of like there being a price tag on an item in the supermarket... they can't say "That was last week's price," they have to give it to you for that price. Anyway, we were so desperate for the trip, that I booked anyway.

I really had no idea what to expect, but the room itself turned out to be really nice. What I mean by really nice is it was very spacious and clean. We chose the room with the King Size bed, versus the two full-size beds for the same rate, and we were assigned room #17. We were on the second floor and it had a nice view off the porch in front of our room. There was a very well-working air conditioner and small, but clean bathroom. The sink/vanity were outside the room, which we thought sort of strange, but it turned out to be very convenient, so one of us was able to use the sink while the other, the bathroom. There was also a TV in the room, which was very small. We never turned it on once, because we didn't really spend any time in the room other than for sleeping.
What was even better than the room itself, was its location. We drove there and really only got in the car if we wanted to go into town or to Montauk State Point. The rest of the time, we were able to walk to Gosman's for dinner, Manucci's for Breakfast Buffet and this nice little public beach on the harbor side literally around the corner from our room. At night, we brought a bottle of wine and a blanket there and just looked out over the water. Some kids came by and asked if it was okay if they started a small fire pit in the sand, which we were fine with. It was a very small area, but it was fine for us.
If you wanted to go to the beach on the ocean side, you only had to drive about 3-4 miles to get there. We parked near the beach there and walked into town to see the gift shops and have dinner at East Northeast. The sunset there was amazing, as well.
Overall, Culloden House Motel was a very convenient and affordable place for us to stay to enjoy our vacation. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who doesn't plan to spend a ton of time in their room, but still wants a comfortable, safe place to sleep.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank csteen85
philadelphia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2010

It's tough finding something in Montauk for under $100 during the shoulder season, and this hotel fit the bill. Basic accommodations, decent size room, location in outside of the town center, by the harbor. We were on bikes, next time we'd stay somewhere more centrally located. The main drawback was the noise - the walls I paper thin and I mean paper. We heard constant trudging around upstairs, an endless argument, which I can repeat point by point, next door, and the banter of a pack of fairly guys seemingly from every direction. I don't know how unlucky we might have been re the day's guests, but the same guests at a different hotel might not have been as intrusive, again, due to the lack of any soundproofing. The other minor problem was a wet carpet in the area of the fridge, which was not fixed expeditiously. I wouldn't NOT recommend this hotel, but because of the noise, wouldn't recommend it either.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
L.I.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2010

Stayed two years in a row and will go back for a third. Nice room, nice view and close to Gosman's and other dining and shopping. A drive from the center of Montauk but the area is quiet and peaceful. Close to the Sound and good swimming!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
NORTH FORK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2009

Spent the night recently at Culloden House before a Striped Bass trip in Montauk. Stayed overnight in order to get up early and right to the boats and dock. Is it this the place for a roamntic weekend or a family vacation ? i dont think so but if you're looking for a bed and shower and domt care about decor or updated wallpaper this is the place. Reasonable and convenient to the sound. If you wnat to be near the ocean this is not the place you want. I found my room to be clean and tidy. Montauk is overpriced for the accomodations they offer. This is the place to lay your head, sleep, wake up, shower and hit the beach again, Beautiful L I Sound beaches,

Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
NYC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2008

First time I have written a review for a place I have not stayed. Unfortunately, the unnecessarily rude manner of the woman who answered the phone when I called about the possibility of a reservation made me feel it was necessary to do so. I am both amazed and shocked at the rude manner in which I was treated by a "customer service professional". You can be assured that I will not be calling again.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Check in / front desk
1 Thank 2cents2travel

Travelers are raving about these Montauk hotels

New york
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2008

Great service and beach permits avaiable! Stayed with my wife and the value was great. I have stayed at Royal Atlantic that place is horriable conjested and crazy beach everyone and his brother way overpriced as are several other properties we have stayed at out there!!!!!. Culloden House was all that we needed walking distance to resturants so you don't have to drink and drive!
The the gal that cleaned the rooms and front desk couldn't have been nicer. I booked for August 24th and 25th again. That speaks volumes in my book. I travel for business it's not the Marriott or Hyatt but nothing out there is! Very confortable...

Kevin

• Liked — The way i was treated
  • Disliked — Nothing not to like
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple