“Clean, Convenient, and Cheap without being cheap”

Culloden House Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Montauk
Culloden House Motel
Ranked #33 of 38 Hotels in Montauk
new york city
“Clean, Convenient, and Cheap without being cheap”
Reviewed July 12, 2012

With Montauk's transformation in the past four years the true town it was to many people is a tougher find. Culloden House though is what Montauk was and in places if you look, still is. Real walking distance to Gosman's, 5 minute cab ride into town, and right next to the north side beach. Two steps out the door of my room I could see the channel marker blinking.

The rooms are clean, the tv's small as well as the spotless bathroom stocked with clean, new towels. This isn't a posh resort but the perfect spot to crash after a long day fishing, stay the night before to hit the sunrise surf, or just have a place to put your head down after a long Montauk day.

More than one of the best values out there, Culloden House is a piece of Montauk that made it the town it is.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank nymike

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 31, 2011

I stayed there with some friends during 2011's Montauk Triathlon because the Harborside was booked out. It's clean, close to the beach. But a little bit of a walk (probably over 10 min) to where the restaurants are clustered. (By the way, West Lake Clam Chowder House, best fish sandwich ever had, so fresh, and the staff/owner are awesome. We went there for dinner 2 nights in a row, highly recommend). Harborside motel and the Snug Harbor is within shorter walking distance to those restaurants. We all in all had a good stay. The only problem is the thin wall. I had to be in bed by 9:30 to be up early for the triathlon, and I forgot my ear plugs, I could hear upstairs walking around, and probably got 5hours of sleep total. I also needed a refund because they made a mistake in the room rates. I read reviews before that people had problems with that, I had to be very tactic about it - They were the most co-operative about that. But truth be told, I got my re-fund without any problem.

Room Tip: Maybe upstairs room be better for the noise.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 12, 2011

I've been here two years in a row. It's a bit out of the way from the main beach and town, but it's quiet and close to the marina and shops and restaurants at Gosman's Dock. The rooms are simple and the blankets dated, but the most important thing is that it's clean. They have rooms with stoves and sinks if you're inclined to cook. TVs aren't big, but they have cable. It's definitely a great deal for the price particularly in Montauk in the summer.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank leeinnyc84
Southbury, Connecticut
Reviewed August 6, 2011

After reading some good reviews on this motel, my husband and I decided to give it a try. It was a pleasant surprise. Like much of Montauk which is pricey and run down, The Culloden was clean, up to date and well maintained inside and out. We hope to return soon.

Room Tip: #25 in The Soundviewer
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
Reviewed May 31, 2011

We stay in Montauk several times a year from May to September and decided on Thursday before Memorial Day weekend that we wanted a quick escape. It was my husband, myself and my 8 year old child. Only trouble was we could not do the 3 night minimum most places required. Trish at Culloden House answered the phone with a smile, had a great way about her and immediately I felt comfortable booking this Harbor area motel. She did not require a 3 night minimum and the rates were great ($100/night) for Memorial Day weekend. The motel does not have a pool but is across the street from the ocean (access about 200 feet down the road). We were assigned room 20 which has an ocean view (there is another motel across the street). Room was clean and bright. It had a refrigerator. We brought our travel coffee maker. One short block to a great market/deli (expensive but good egg sandwiches and lunch wraps). We got food there each morning and walked over to the beach to enjoy it. There is a BBQ area and tables and large ice maker. The next door neighbor was a heavy snorer and my husband did hear that in the morning but it did not negatively effect trip. Others commented about thin walls in previous posts. They probably are thin but for the price and the cleanliness, it was worth it. Walk to Gosman's Dock for dinner and Ben & Jerry's for Ice Cream. Normally we stay in a little more expensive property but get an efficiency and cook every meal. This time we were able to eat dinner out both nights with the savings from the hotel. For a mom, this was worth it! ***Added bonus, they have beach parking passes to loan out FREE (they return your $20 deposit when you return pass). This was a super extra bonus for us as we like to go the beach by Ditch Plains but do not have parking pass to do so. Other motels charge a per day rate to use the pass but here it was no charge. Basic room with drawers for your clothing, small table for 2, a new clean shower and plenty of towels, color TV and FREE Wi-Fi. You really can't go wrong for the price at Culloden House Motel.

Room Tip: Ask for room 20 if you need a little extra space
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank ebayfan
new york city
Reviewed August 15, 2010

It is not easy to find a room last minute during the high season on Montauk and we did! The Culloden House was less expensive than the more "trendy" options, but very comfortable and accommodating. Charming from the start, greeted with a smile and given room#20 in the Soundview portion of the motel. The room was one of only two on Soundview Road with a great shared deck. The room was very clean and comfortable. At first we thought it was too far to Main St. but it was just a 10min, $8 cab ride away(for 2). There wasa lot to do locally, restaurants on the water (Gossman's Dock), just ok, but an amazing view of Montauk Harbor, and a convenient deli one block away for coffee, breakfast, and groceries. All in all a great stay! Plus, a couple of beaches (not on any map) nearby.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank elvartha
Farmingdale, New York
Reviewed July 2, 2010

We planned a weekend trip to Montauk at the last minute - the Monday before the Friday we wanted to arrive. I did a lot of research online before choosing this place, because Montauk can be EXPENSIVE. Culloden House wound up being just what we were looking for.

First of all, most places in Montauk require a minimum stay of 2-4 nights during the "Peak season." We happened to choose the last weekend of the "Pre-peak-season," which is the last weekend of June, just before 4th of July weekend. When I called another place in the area, not only did they have the minimum two-night stay, but the two nights had to be Saturday and Sunday night. Since neither of us could get off from work for Monday, we said, "Thanks, but no thanks."
Culloden House had vacancy and took a deposit from me over the phone. Their rates were a tad more expensive than it stated on their website at $190 per night (incl. tax), and when I quoted those rates, the woman on the phone said, "Those are our 2009 rates." That bothered me, because that's sort of like there being a price tag on an item in the supermarket... they can't say "That was last week's price," they have to give it to you for that price. Anyway, we were so desperate for the trip, that I booked anyway.

I really had no idea what to expect, but the room itself turned out to be really nice. What I mean by really nice is it was very spacious and clean. We chose the room with the King Size bed, versus the two full-size beds for the same rate, and we were assigned room #17. We were on the second floor and it had a nice view off the porch in front of our room. There was a very well-working air conditioner and small, but clean bathroom. The sink/vanity were outside the room, which we thought sort of strange, but it turned out to be very convenient, so one of us was able to use the sink while the other, the bathroom. There was also a TV in the room, which was very small. We never turned it on once, because we didn't really spend any time in the room other than for sleeping.
What was even better than the room itself, was its location. We drove there and really only got in the car if we wanted to go into town or to Montauk State Point. The rest of the time, we were able to walk to Gosman's for dinner, Manucci's for Breakfast Buffet and this nice little public beach on the harbor side literally around the corner from our room. At night, we brought a bottle of wine and a blanket there and just looked out over the water. Some kids came by and asked if it was okay if they started a small fire pit in the sand, which we were fine with. It was a very small area, but it was fine for us.
If you wanted to go to the beach on the ocean side, you only had to drive about 3-4 miles to get there. We parked near the beach there and walked into town to see the gift shops and have dinner at East Northeast. The sunset there was amazing, as well.
Overall, Culloden House Motel was a very convenient and affordable place for us to stay to enjoy our vacation. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who doesn't plan to spend a ton of time in their room, but still wants a comfortable, safe place to sleep.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple