“Not a dinner place”

Rick's Crabby Cowboy Cafe
Ranked #36 of 105 Restaurants in Montauk
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night
Description: A casual Seafood and BBQ famiily restaurant for friends and parties. Outdoor bar, firepits, s'mores. Great for large parties. Home of montauk pearl oysters, local striped bass and clams. Pulled pork, ribs, bbq chicken. World famous onion rings. Indoor and Outdoor Dining.
Brooklyn, New York, United States
“Not a dinner place”
Reviewed June 24, 2012

More of a lunch menu. Servings are small. Price is moderate. When paying bill w/cc,server took a very long time returning w/card. Had to go to the front and question the tardiness.Fish is Fresh! (better be)

Visited June 2012

Chappaqua, NY
“Fun but quirky”
Reviewed September 12, 2011

The food here is fresh and casual; the staff helpful and attentive; the owner -- well quirky but nice (as long as you behave -- which we did -- he yelled at a customer who appeared to offer some constructive criticism -- so if your here -- ride the wave). The decor is nothing to look at, and there's nothing hip or sceney here, but the view is really nice, and its great great family place, with big tables and ample outdoor dining. The cowboy refers to the barbeque menu, which is offered in addition to traditional seafood offerings which are okay, nothing special. There was live music, in the form of a guitar player both times we were there. Most unusual is that the establishment has several open operating fire pits with chairs surrounding, in which guest may purchase smore fixings and proceed to prepare their own smores (which predictably the kids LOVED). We were two families with kids and it worked well for us (the kids could spill their waters, and generally behave pretty poorly, and no one seemed to notice.) I wouldn't come here on a date.

Waterford Ireland
“Pretty, young ,Staff & very willing to do anythig for you, Food delicious”
Reviewed August 27, 2011

I had the most wonderful meal here tonight. I arrived late for my booking and the staff were so cocerned for me that everything was ok with me , they were so kind & keeping the kitchen open for me. I had the tastiest Calamari ever for starter, & for my main course I had shredded pork, it would melt in your mouth so soft & a portion of delicious onion rings. Big portions, loads to eat. Rick the owner came over to say Hello & was so nice, very Proud of his restaurand & puts a lot of work into it.
The waitresses are so lovely too, leave them a nice tip. I will be back again.

1 Thank DeeWaterfordIreland
NY
“Family dining at it's best!”
Reviewed August 14, 2011

Eating in Montauk is usually a tough experience for me since I have been to most eateries in town and surrounding areas until I went to Ricks Crabby Cowboy Cafe. I almost didn't go since a group of friends of mine went the night before and had a terrible experience with the owner yelling at them to move their vehicle. I guess parking was difficult that night and they decided not to return. So since I was invited, I said let's give it a go. We had no trouble parking and it is located directly across the street from the airport. It was very causal so heels are not a requirement. It also sits on a marina so you have a lovely view of the boats as they float by. The seating was on picnic like tables with room for 8 people with chairs. We began with appetizers. Go for the onion rings. Really good! We had a nice sized group so we went with differnt things on the menu from shellfish, fish, hamburgers to caesar salads with chicken. To our very pleasant surprise, all the food was excellent. Not one complaint about the food or service. You are able to sit around fire pits and make s'mores. Not sure what the charge for that is but the kids as well as the adults will love it. The airplanes fly low and loud but it is a thrill. We enjoyed the food as well as the service. Make sure you cover your self with bug spray because the mosquitos were biting our ankles. Over all the experience was very good. We did notice one thing, the owner did come around to find out who was parked in the wrong spot and ordered that patron in the middle of his meal to move his vehicle pronto! I guess he doesn't like people parking in a certain area which clearly is NOT marked with "do not park here". A hint Mr. Owner.

1 Thank Montaukbeachgoer
Florida, New York
“what a dump”
Reviewed August 12, 2011

I took a last minute party of eight to dinner and could not get a reservation anywhere in town. someone told me about this place and i should have never listened. when we got there it was half empty during prime time. The first thing that the person that sat us kept saying was that they did not accept credit cards only cash. No way i had enough cash in my pocket for a party of eight. I had to borrow money from the people I was taking to dinner. The food was horrible. We ordered steamers and a number of them were not opened. The fish was not close to being fresh. I enjoy drinking bottled water and they did not have any. The worst was the nasty owner of the place. a family nears us complained to the waitress that the kitchen brought out their main courses while they were still eating their first course. He asked that the dinners be brought back to the kitchen and served later. a few minutes later a bunch of people came charging out of the kitchen with their main courses asking rudely what the problem was. One person explained what the issue was and then said if you are in a hurry to go home please let him know now. With that a big guy in a filty shirt and hair all over the place ( i later found out he is the owner and chef) burst through to the front of the pack and starts screaming at this family and tells them to leave the restaurant. I have never sen anything like that in my life. Stay away

3 Thank jett from flori... l