“Good food, decent service”

Harvest on Fort Pond
Ranked #1 of 105 Restaurants in Montauk
Cuisines: Italian, American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Kids, Scenic view, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Commack, NY
“Good food, decent service”
Reviewed August 29, 2008

Although this place is pricey, you at least feel like your money is well spent, as the portions are huge. We ordered a swordfish special which was out of this world and a fusilli with scallops and mushrooms dish that I kept waiting for the taste to hit my tongue, but alas, never did. Also try the garlic fries - they are amazing. We actually ended up spending the least amount of money here than we did at any of the other restaurants in and around the area, even though this is supposedly the crown jewel of Montauk. No complaints here about that. Just don't expect amazing service here, or anywhere in Montauk for that matter. You are a captive audience there, and most restaurateurs and shop-owners know it.

2 Thank boomer775

Long Island, NY
“Extremely Dissapointed”
Reviewed August 29, 2008

First off, let me say that my husband and I have been here before so we knew what to expect as far as large portions, etc. We did not mind this because we figured that we would just take home the leftovers -- my husband is an RN and works overnight so leftovers=easy meals for him. We had not been here in over a year, and I would say that this place has definately taken a turn for the worse.

We live on LI, so we decided to take the train out to Montauk and make a day out of it and have dinner here. The trains are few in far between, and we were able to only get a 6:15 reservation but our train didn't leave to go home until 10:30. When we arrived at Harvest, a gentlemen was haggling with the hostess to get a table even though he didn't have a reservation...he assured her that he and his family would not linger and that they were good tippers. I am sure that he 'greased her palm' because they were seated before us.

When we were seated, we told the waitress that we did not want to rush through dinner--first because we had time to kill and when a restaurant has portions such as this, I like to take my time and pick that way I don't fill up. I hate when restaurants bring you one course after another, it doesn't allow you to enjoy your food. When we went to order, we only wanted to order appetizers first and then see how full we were to decide what else we wanted. Our waitress told us that since this is their busy time, the kitchen cannot handle these types of orders...HELLO, isn't this supposed to be a well above average restaurant and your kitchen can handle this? We told her to come back because we hadn't even looked at entrees yet.

When she came back, we told her that we would like the dates stuffed with ricotta and mussels for apps, and the mixed seafood bruschetta and farfalle with sausage and peas for our entrees. She suggested that because the mussels and mixed seafood were similar, that we change one--we told her we would subsitute the mussels for the rare tuna for an appetizer.

Our appetizers came very quickly and the dates and tuna were very good. As soon as we were finishing these our entrees came -- nothing like giving us some room to breathe. However, we got mussels, not mixed seafood and the pasta. When the waitress finally stopped to see how we were enjoying our meal, I commented that I think there was a mistake and we didn't get our mixed seafood. Her response 'Well, if this is what you got, then it must have been what you ordered' and walked away...so much for customer service. Also, I have to say, the mussels were inedible--they were under cooked and probably the worse I have ever had, and this is the one thing I love to order out because they are a pain to make at home. When the waitress came back to see if we wanted to take home our leftovers, I said yes to everything but the mussels, she asked why and I told her....she offered to take them off the bill and said she would tell the kitchen, which was probably the only professional thing that she did.

Our entire meal took under an hour. When we left, the gentleman and his family that didn't have a reservation were still lingering and taking their time. They had the same waitress as us...go figure. One other thing I did not like was the amount of children, this place seems to be a place that you would want to leave your kids at home, yet there were several children under 7 running all over the place. Don't know if it's because now this has become and extension of the hamptons and these people just don't care or what. Oh, and BTW, we are good tippers, and still for some reason chose to tip 20+%.

Overall, most of the food was good, but the overall experience was awful. I do not think that we will be rushing back here any time soon. For great mussels, visit Edgewater in Southampton.

3 Thank J_and_K_ny
nyc
“poor service mediocre food”
Reviewed August 23, 2008

we had been to the Harvest many times before but this will be our last time. we made a reservation and when we arrived the three of of us were seated at a table for two. This would not have been suitable at any restaurant, but with these big portions, this would not be comfortable. the hostess told us we would have to wait 40 minutes. i asked for the manager who found a table for us. we finally ordered - our salad and pasta came, but no main dish. the waitress claimed i never ordered it! Instead she brought dessert - the meal cost $100 and we only had one glass of wine. REALLY a rip off. I guess that the large crowds mean poor service and high prices. After a while i don't think this place will be people's favorite any more. Oh and by the way, the penne was in a sauce which tasted very familiarlike Campbell's cream of mushroom soup.

1 Thank doxie88
“A magnificent setting - outdoor dining or indoor”
Reviewed August 17, 2008

We were told "not to miss" this restaurant and we are so happy that we dined there. There were 6 of us and we wanted to have our dinner outside (no reservations taken for the patio) so we had quite a wait for a table, but it was well worth it. If you want to eat inside, you should make your reservation 10 days in advance to get the time that you want.
The patio is designed so that you are surrounded with beautiful flowers and herbs. The food selections were original and all six of us truly enjoyed our choices.
We loved it and can't wait to return.

1 Thank Quiltbee
Queens, NY
“My favorite place in Montauk for an all around enjoyable dinner!!”
Reviewed July 13, 2008

7.5 of us (my 4 year old nephew) had dinner here and ordered an appetizer and 3 entrees. The Pasta Bolognese, Chicken, and Spaghetti and shrimp. The Pasta Bolognese was the absolute best and the others followed close behind. The atmosphere at the outside table was very comfortable for a July summer evening. Service was top knotch and prompt. This is just the kind of resturant for a beach town where you can feel you are at a five star establishment.

2 Thank ComputerGuyDave