“4:15pm 100 calls”

Cuisines: American
Kerhonkson
“4:15pm 100 calls”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

The 100 calls are worth the reward...really good food. Julie & Dave consistently provide top notch food and a great atmosphere. The chocolate bag tops it all off!

Visited July 2013

New YOrk
“Expensive and not worth it”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Dave's Grill is a nice enough restaurant, but very overpriced. The outside area where we waited for our table was very pretty, but once inside the dining area was just ok, and the chairs were extremely uncomfortable. Normally I would not comment on something so trivial as chairs, but since the prices on menu were quite expensive, thought at least they would provide a more comfortable seat. My husband had the grouper, which he said was very good, but the portion was small and only came with a small vegetable relish, he left hungry after paying $38 for his entreee. I had the fish and chips, which was ok, but the fish was overcooked so dry. Our appetizers were both very good, but also pricey. I realize Montauk is overall an expensive place to visit, but the prices charged at Dave's Grill are way to high for the food. Must say the service was excellent, our waiter was very friendly and attentive.

Visited June 2013
Guilford
“Inflexible”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

The food was great - the service was efficient. We ordered a modified entre and the chef/owner would not provide us with a few asparagus as an accompaniment. Food cost? We spend $90 per head. Feeling - Nickled and Dimed.

• Visited June 2013
Long Island, New York
“Fabulous Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

We ate at Dave's Grill on a whim after browsing our Zagat guide on the beach today. Called at 4:30 pm on this Sunday and were offered a 6 or 8:30 reservation for two, took the 8:30. After hanging up and discussing with my hubby how hungry we actually were, we called back for the 6pm which was no longer available even though only 5 minutes had passed! We were offered and took the 5:45. So, reservations recommended.

From the outside the place is nothing special aside from it's location right on the harbor, always nice. Upon entering there is a screened in porch/enclosed deck area with plastic walls that I assume roll up when nicer weather hits and the season really begins. We were led into the regular dining room, small but nice, simple and nautical with a cramped but cozy bar behind with maybe 10 stools. Restaurant is small. Service was quick and pleasant.

The food...oh my. Coconut shrimp and quesadilla for appetizers. Shrimp was a tiny order, only 3 but was fresh as anything and delicious with two sauces. Quesadilla featured goat cheese and Vidalia onion with avocado, so tasty. Bread was crusty and piping hot and our server offered small plates of freely poured nice olive oil for dipping. Everything on the menu sounded so good, we needed help choosing and our server gladly led us in a wonderful direction. My husband opted for the stuffed half lobster. As a rule I never get stuffed seafood as I have found most places charge high $ for flavored breadcrumbs and cheap seafood flavor. Not here. The breadcrumbs had to be homemade. Stuffing was so fresh and full of flavor and LOBSTER. so much lobster. Fries were hand cut and delicious, frying oil must have been clean and new. Cole slaw was the best my hubby had ever had. I chose the Dave's signature cioppino. I was on the fence about ordering an essential stew (I love pasta, risotto...carbs) so followed the server's advice and added a bit of linguine. Oh my. Lobster and calamari and mussels and clams and a couple of different kinds of fish, all in an amazingly flavorful seafood broth/tomato reduction. It was absolutely fantastic. Everything on our plates was so fresh and delicious, just perfect. Nothing was left to be desired. My husband regretfully made room for dessert with the Crisp Du Jour, apple/rhubarb/strawberry, which he loved. Crust is a homemade oatmeal concoction that is to die for with Hagen daaz vanilla on top. Even the coffee was delicious.

As ranting a review as I know this is, the place deserves it. Just amazing. We will undoubtedly return and will continue to sing it's praises if even after one visit...everything was so top notch that we won't hesitate to base our opinion on a single visit.

Our two apps, bottle of Sauvignon blanc (south Africa $45- no wine on wine list below $45) two entrees, two coffees and one dessert ($11 crisp) came to $190. Not cheap especially for a dining experience that wasn't fancy (especially considering the fact that servers take it upon themselves to tie plastic lobster bibs around your neck whether you request it or not) but in our opinion, worth every penny for the freshest and tastiest seafood around.

• Visited June 2013
Huntington, New York
“Fabulous dining experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

Heard great things about Dave's and considered ourselves lucky to score a phone reservation. This turned out to be one of our top dining experiences! Great location on the dock near the harbor. Food was excellent, loved the decor. The cool vibe and terrific energy are apparent right when you walk in. Ordered the baked stuffed half lobster and swordfish, both were delicious. Chat with hostess/owner nice finish to a wonderful evening. Yes it was tough to make a reservation, but well worth the effort. Can't wait to return on our next visit to Montauk.

• Visited October 2012