“Our honeymoon”
Review of Sands Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Montauk
Sands Motel
Ranked #31 of 39 Hotels in Montauk
Reviewed June 5, 2013

My husband and I were married on April 17, 1965 and we spent our first night together in this Motel. We stayed in a room on the second floor and as you're looking at the Motel from the front, it was the first room on the left. We hope to stay there again on our next visit. The owner was very, very nice to both of us and I understand from our last visit there, that his son now has taken ownership. Love it and can't wait to stay there again in the near future.

Room Tip: I would like to stay in the same room that we had on our honeymoon, but I'm sure that any room i...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
di2254, Owner at Sands Motel, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

Thank you for writing your memories of our motel. Our grandparents were actually here in 1965 along with my uncle. Our parents and my siblings came out to begin helping in 1971 when my grandfather took ill so this is third generation that is here now. On behalf of my brother and sister, we look forward to meeting you when you come to Montauk

There are newer reviews for Sands Motel

Reviewed September 17, 2012

Onsite Safety/Security: Justifiably unregistered non-paying guests pay for services so there are no freeloaders or unknowns using of property! Location: Quiet. Excellent beach across the road, very easy walking to town shops, supermarket. Rooms: Simple, clean, comfortable. Staff: Helpful, professional. Highly Recommend: Will return!! Value: Great for the money!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank JANEDAY18
Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

Good room little outdated the owners not that friendly of the hotel great location for the beach and restaurants overall good for a weekend get away . I would come back if the price was a little better .We rented the deluxe suite and was far form deluxe ...For 200 a night I expected a nicer place but the view form the room made up for what the room was lacking ..

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank arnie r
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Overpriced. Poorly maintained. Non-responsive staff (office failed to check messages & return calls). If I hadn't needed a room for a last minute job, I wouldn't have even checked in. The only positive thing I can say is that it's right on the beach. So are a lot of other motels. Don't waste your time or money on the Sands.

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank E_William_G
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Stayed for one night before the start of Labor Day Weekend, we booked another resort nearby for Fri-Mon and decided to head out a day earlier and wanted a more economical option for the Thursday night so I chose the Sands. We had a standard room with a balcony and partial ocean view, the room was small and very very outdated, bathroom same. The location and grounds are excellent; propane bbq grill available for guest usage and you are in the center of everything, beach is across the road and a nice pool in back of hotel which is unfortunately situated on a busy intersection. we stayed in the main building where the office is, it appears the newer building across the street seems much nicer and the balconies have more privacy, our balcony felt like a "communal balcony" as thin wood planks divide them apart from eachother.

My honest rating would be 2.5 but I will curve up it up to 3 b/c overall I do think its a decent place and my assessment was based on the main building in an out-dated room and only for one night which I dont think I would have been able to endure for ANY LONGER THAN THAT, but I do think my experience would have been better having stayed in the other building or a newer/larger room.

Room Tip: Dont book room 25
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mlw0915
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed in the suites located across the street from motel office over 3 nights labor day weekend. We read reviews saying how they charge you for extra people etc, considering this was already over $1000 for the weekend we were worried if we had extra people. Upon check out we realized they were indeed spying on us, counting the number of guests on our balcony at once! I feel that for paying this amount of money you should not by spying on your guests who most likely will invite friends over to sit out side and drink coffee none the less. Especially when the room is moldy and the white stucco ceiling near the A/C is black with dust. But the best part is that the toilet in the bathroom above us was leaking down into our bathroom, dripping onto our heads as we used our own toilet. Needless to say Disgusting. AKA don't throw stones if you live in a glass house Sands Management! We were all under the age of 27 so for our purposes of sleeping, running across to the beach, and walking down the block to the village, bars, etc. The location was perfect! Would I recommend it? Considering all of the other places there are, I would say try someplace else first, being spied on and dripped on is not ideal for a vacation... but it worked for us this weekend.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 2, 2012

We just got back from 5 days at the Sands. The rooms were extremely clean as well as the pool. It was our 2nd time there and would continue going back. Unlike some of the others who wrote reviews we found the staff to be friendly. Some more then others It is well worth the price

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family