“Rude, Expensive, Uninviting, and Somewhat Dingy”
Review of Sands Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Montauk
Sands Motel
Ranked #30 of 39 Hotels in Montauk
East Setauket, New York
“Rude, Expensive, Uninviting, and Somewhat Dingy”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Long story short; Go Somewhere Else!

Terrible hospitality, very rude
Management always seems to be “watching” you’re every move, very uncomfortable and weird.
Small dingy very aged rooms
Broken smelly refrigerator
Expensive ($300 + 35 (+tax) for any guest which steps foot on premise)
Great location… that’s about it

This place is the opposite of a diamond in the rough. I’m a long time Montauk weekender and make multiple trips per year for the; fishing, surfing, diving, hanging on the beach, food, nightlife, etc.

I stayed here with my fiancé and her friend recently and it may have been the worst hotel experience I have ever had. If it wasn’t for the excellent location, beautiful weather, and multitude of outdoor activities I probably would have left upon arrival.

I went to Montauk with loose plans of fishing and then potentially meeting my fiancé and staying the night. Well after I was done fishing I got word that she made it to town with friends and that she booked a room for the night at the Sands Motel ($300). I pulled into an empty hotel parking lot around 4PM and was immediately greeted in the lot by a pair of henchman looking guys with folded arms and stone face glares… I thought this was odd so I just kind of walked right by them up to the room.

When I walked into the room I immediately noticed how dingy it was; slight smell, poor lighting, extremely dated décor and brown carpets. The beds were OK though and the balcony was kind of nice. The bathroom was very tiny and they had an old navy type stand up shower. There was some weird ½ kitchenette with a broken refrigerator which also had a poor smell to it. But it’s Montauk and this is somewhat expected in an old hotel.

Well I got cleaned up and ready for dinner, we were in a good mood and both had a great day so far. When I walked to my car to put some of my gear away I was immediately bombarded by the men I saw previously and two women who I am guessing were the management? Anyways they started questioning and interrogating me, I told them I was a guest, and was going to stay with my finace and her friend for the night. They told me I was not registered so I had to leave the property immediately or pay them upwards of $40. I would have been fine paying this if they explained it to me in a respectful manner (although I thought $300/night was already more than enough). At the time I was a little confused and didn’t really understand what was going on… all I know is that they were extremely rude and brazen. Not the kind of stuff you want to deal with while on vacation. They accepted my $35+tax and then continued to give me an attitude. After I left the office the woman ran down my fiancé and started yelling at her about the room and the amount of guests, then she started to harass another friend we were with who was staying down the road at sole east, demanding she too pays $35+tax or leave the property. When I pay upwards of $340 per night I can invite whomever I want to hang out or use the bathroom thank you very much.

For the remainder of our stay it seemed like we were constantly being watched, every time we came back to the room or car they would greet us with a cold stare like we were doing something wrong. They were ALWAYS watching us. We’re fairly young 26-27 but not that young, and it’s not like we’re crazy party people or that we were trying to pack 10 people in the room like a flop house. The next day after the 11 AM check out we left the cars in the lot (which was empty) and went to the beach until 1 PM or so, it seemed like they didn’t like this either… we just avoided them and left.

My advice to the management is to get with the times! Montauk is a changing place and a lot of competition is popping up for better or worse. To be a successful business you need to treat your customer’s right! That’s obviously not the case for at least 50% of the folks that stay here (based on reviews). If you’ve had a bad experience with a customer than brush it off; most people who come to Montauk aren’t trying to trash your place and turn it into a flop house, they are there to enjoy themselves and catch some rest and relaxation. Good luck, because the beauty of the internet is that truth gets out.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank TomO300

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 9, 2012

The location of the hotel is quite good, 50 feet from the beach, parking on site. The rooms themselves are quite poor and the service and friendliness of the front desk staff leaves a lot to be desired. The rooms are dated, smell somewhat musty, old tv and air conditioning, old bed spreds, coarse sheets, stains on the carpets. The bathrooms are actually clean with clean towels, but a bit small. I agree that this motel would not be more than $40 a night anywhere else. If you want a spot near the beach but do not care about much else, you could stay here. If you expect anything else for your $250 a night, go to one of the many other hotels in the area. We prepaid two nights here but did not appreciate much about the rooms so we forfeited the second night (they told us we were checking out too late (which is fair I guess) so could therefore not get our money back as the sheets could not be changed since the maid had left; but, when I went back to the room to pick one of my belongings that I had forgotten, I found someone changing the sheets -- not much sincerity on that one and I'm guessing this was to try to rerent the room). We moved to the Royal Atlantic North for the second night. The Royal Atlantic was quite a bit nicer, more room, more hospitable staff, cleaner, etc. We have also previously stayed at the Sole Beach East, the Montauk Beach Club, just to name a few at similar price points and the Sands was by far the worst experience. I would stay away if you can and go to any other nearby hotel/motel that is available, they all have similar short walks to the beach.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Montauk hotels

Huntington, New York
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Great family run hotel... SAFE family friendly atmosphere
Friendly staff (everyone is ALWAYS SMILING), a hop to the beach, the pool is clean & the grounds are kept immaculate, the rooms are spotless & beds quite comfortable. Please do not let any of the negative reviews influence you, they are lies.
Thank you Sands Staff for making our vacation quite pleasurable, we will be back for years to come.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
di2254, Owner at Sands Motel, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Thank you for your review and we are so glad that you had a wonderful stay. We look forward to seeing you again!
Nantucket, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 3, 2012

First room service unlocks my door and walks in unannounced at 9am... Good thing we were dressed and had that second lock so they can't fully open it from the outside. Then when we went to breakfast, we put a "Do Not Disturb" sign on our door and when we returned our room was made and all the food and water we had for the beach that we placed in the refrigerator were all thrown out. This was all before the checkout time. And the "owner" had the audacity to argue back at me and laugh in my face. Never again. And the room smelled too.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Bob S
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed October 6, 2011

We stayed here the 1st week of August '11. If you really, truly love the beach then you can put up with almost anything to be a short walk to/from it. That's the case of the Sands. If you have a large group I would recommend blocking a bunch of rooms on the upper level. All of the decks outside the rooms on the upper level connect and make for a great party. Is the room pricey? Sure - but the distance to the beach negates any argument. The pool is great though the guy who manages the pool is a ticking time bomb - tread softly. A sense of humor would be totally lost on this guy. The remaining staff is devoid of expression beyond frowns and growls but who cares? Once you have your key why would you want to fraternize with them anyway? Oh, and it seems to me the average joe who vacations here is a cop or a fireman so save your high-brow Hamptons act for Amagansett. This is a regular guy kinda place.

Room Tip: 2nd floor preferable if you don't mind climbing stairs
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
8 Thank savinis
Long Island
Reviewed September 12, 2011

I stayed at the Sands Motel the last week of August. We rented two rooms. The first room was a 1st floor two queen bed efficiency. It was clean but did not have a pleasant smell. The rooms need updating, old carpet and dated dark paneling. The second room was on the 2nd floor and had a queen and a twin bed. It was clean and bright and had a nice balcony with a partial view of the ocean. The beach was across the street very accessible and a very short distance. The maintenance and room attendants were constantly busy cleaning and maintaining the property. The pool was kept immaculate. The check in/out employees were not very personable at all. No hello or anything. Not friendly. I would return the price was affordable and motel was clean. We spent most of our time out sightseeing, at the beach and the pool.

Room Tip: 2nd floor rooms are nicer. They are not dark and have alot of light and a balcony.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Debbie R
New York
Reviewed September 2, 2011

Leave all expectations for value at the entrance to Montauk. To be fair, we did come Labor Day Weekend but it hurts to drop $200 a night on a dump. Very musty and out dated but being right on the beach, I guess you don't have to try too hard. Oh, and their "queen" is really a full.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple