“Great Dinner!”

The Coast
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Reservations
Description: American, contemporary, freestyle cuisine & Sushi Bar. Locally Harvested Seafood,with always a few Hearty Meat Dishes, Vegan & Vegetarian Menu Options as well.
Kew Gardens, New York
“Great Dinner!”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

After trying to go someplace else only to find the kitchen closed, the bartender recommended The Coast as one of his favs. I wanted to go back and give him a hug for such a great recommendation!

The food was fantastic and I would have probably given it 5 stars, but the service wasn't necessarily 5 stars. Not to say we didn't get good, friendly service, but our waiter wasn't as engaged as he could have been. I must say that the guy delivering the food was super nice.

We started off with the Honey Siracha Wings served alongside a cucumber yogurt sauce and carrots. Delicious! The right amount of sweet and spicy, I wanted to eat the sauce up with a spoon; but I settled on the carrots to help with that.

The meal started off with a hit and it just kept going. The Pan Roasted Local Fish of the Day, which was Tile Fish was served with a red quinoa salad, fried artichoke bottom and a roasted yellow tomato pesto; it was a fabulous dish. The fish was cooked perfectly and all the flavors balanced each other out and the fried artichoke made the dish just about perfect. Once of the specials were pan seared scallops over spinach orzo with a hint of truffle oil. Another fabulous dish.

When I heard that most of the dessert menu was home-made, I just had to try something...the chocolate peanut butter pie, was totally divine and outstanding. A light peanut butter cream over a layer of chocolate ganache on top of a graham cracker crust, it was totally indulgent.

It was a wonderful meal that exceeded my expectations.

• Visited May 2013

Brooklyn, New York
“Where's the Salt???”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Thankfully we started with a fresh sushi roll, but the "less sodium" soy sauce should have been a predictor of what was to come. We felt exploited after paying $26 for a bland, vegetarian pasta dish and even worse for $27 for the tasteless, fried "coconut" shrimp and boring potato wedges I could have gotten anywhere at a grill. All I could taste was overcooked shrimp covered in blah breading. The curry salad was basically stringed veggies tossed in curry and mayonaise.

$10 overpriced for the flavor and simply being in Montauk. If you don't mind dropping $100+ on a dinner for two (like we did), I would suggest driving into the Hampton's instead.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank 1happycamper75
Connecticut
“Love it!!! Will be a favorite!!”
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Ambiance - check

Great menu- check

Food preparation - check

Attentive service - check

Be back again? - double check

• Visited December 2012
West Hempstead, New York, United States
“new in MTK”
Reviewed October 24, 2012

what a great store. lovely people, great service ...varies menu from steaks to sushi...all good. nice spacing in between tables so not too crowded. Beautiful bar hold about 10. Live acoustic on weekends. I like this place alot...went back 3x in 8 days.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Charles D
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“The Coast rocks...”
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Our visit was in October 2012. We ate here on the reccomendation of our innkeeper in MTK. We arrived a little after they had closed for orders but accomodated us...respect ! The wait staff were attentive.I had one of their speciality sushi rolls (sorry cant remember which one) and DH had the coast burger...was asked as to how he wanted this cooked.My sushi was prepared by the chef in full view of the resto.The decor and ambience was lovely and so more importantly was the food.At the bar area there is a TV with sports channels (Yankees were playing !) We came away with a real good feeling on our first night in MTK.Many thanks to the curteous staff/chef who made us feel this way.I wish this new resto good luck for the future...would I recco...most certainly.

• Visited October 2012