“so much fun”

Ranked #27 of 39 Hotels in Montauk
New York City, New York
“so much fun”
Reviewed June 20, 2012

My family and I came out for a week so I could do the shark tournament. Wow!!! Never saw anything like it what an event, I was happy to be a part of it this year. The guys a Royal Atlantic told me about it last year when I stayed there. So I booked the rooms from then when we arrived they remembered me and my family, I was impressed they must meet thousands of people a year. The service and rooms were wonderful what a view. I love that they are right on the ocean. We loved the personalized customer service the staff is aces in my book.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
new york, ny
Reviewed June 18, 2012

They baited and switched us. Paid for a reg room - but upon arrival they couldn't find our confirmation and they only thing they had avail was the condo at triple the price. Being 4 hours from home - we had no choice. We were bamboozled. Don't stay here. These ppl are crooks.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
7 Thank traveljunkienyc
Steve K, Manager at Royal Atlantic Beach Resorts, responded to this review, June 19, 2012
Dear traveljunkienys
I would like to thank you for your valued feedback and hope that once settled in, you enjoyed your stay.
I would like to apologize for any confusion there may have been with regard to your reservation. Unfortunately a deposit is required for all reservations. Our records indicate that a fax deposit form was faxed to you on May 31 which was not returned to authorize a deposit. On June 6th, your reservation was cancelled due to no deposit - if this is incorrect, please contact our office I would be happy to discuss this matter further.
As for the price difference of your stay, the Beach house was the last accommodation in the hotel, after your reserving it, we were sold out. Due to the confusion of not receiving your deposit, a 15% discount was extended at check-in.
Management

Travelers are raving about these Montauk hotels

Reviewed June 17, 2012

stayed at this resort 15 years ago every year for years and was always happy. went back this year with all grown kids for a fishing trip for one night. the place has changed. no families all partying kids on beach and all night long fighting outside our windows. the towels are paper thin, no amenities at all. they told us the rooms were completely renovated and they were the same as 15 years ago, same burners, wallpapers, bathroom! springs through the back on the sofa bed, no fan in bathroom , a/c didnt work, just was so differant from what we remembered. montauk has changed. would never stay in town again or at thgroyal atlantic. right next to the sloppy tuna and had sloppy drunk jerry springer like action all night outside our rooms!! what a shame.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank eastend1978
Long Island City, New York, United States
Reviewed June 13, 2012

DO NOT STAY HERE! My husband stayed here for a bachelor party this past weekend. His IPAD was STOLEN out of his room. Management/front desk were not helpful and frankly did not care. We know for a fact it was stolen by the hotel staff 2 days later the IPAD was turned on at the hotel and we were able to locate it. We called the front desk again with proof that the IPAD was on the property and again the front desk was not helpful and pretty much made it seem like I was making this up. PLEASE DO NOT STAY HERE, IF YOU WANT TO LEAVE WITH EVERYTHING YOU CAME WITH. I like to believe in good people but good people do not work here!

There was one person who was helpful - Liz the bartender, you can drink there but do not stay there!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank ZoeR1024
Laurel, New York
Reviewed May 15, 2012

I am in the service industry in the Hamptons and take a week off before our season begins every year to mentally prepare myself for the onslaught of entitlement that attacks that area every summer. This year, I chose the Royal Atlantic. Ocean front room, private little deck off the room that steps down into the sand, immaculate. Staff was happy, friendly,full of suggestions and totally accomodating. I was a bit nervous after reading the reviews of people that posted but I know others who have stayed here and were quite happy so I decided to book it. Montauk is NOT the hamptons....if you are looking for the hamptons it's not the place for you. It's beautiful, quiet, relaxing, no pressure, no heirs, no BS. Just a nice place to unwind with your butt in a chair, toes in the sand, sun on your face, waves crashing, people strolling, laid back kind of place. That's it!!! Royal Atlantic treated us beautifully and am planning on booking again in October and next year!!

Room Tip: Ocean front is unbeatable
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank suzJol
New City, New York
Reviewed April 17, 2012

We booked this trip under a special for "ocean view room" for $80 a night off season. We arrived and got our keys, went into the room to find the beds ripped apart (not seen by room service yet?) I would have called the desk to complain on this but looked around first, checked the private deck to see the view.. pulled back the curtains to see... a view of the empty pool and a deserted pool deck. Okay. So we go back to the desk and explain that we booked ocean view, show our confirmation and the clerk says it IS ocean view. If we go onto the deck, lean over and look the the far right we will see the ocean. Really? If we wanted ocean FRONT that would be an additional $52 a night. We expresed that we felt miss-led to no avail. They werent budging, they didnt feel bad. So that sent us off in a huff. Aside of that, it did the job. Its totally NO FRILLS. Paper bathmat, scratchy tiny towels, the only bathroom product is bar soap, no shampoo, lotion, etc. If you forget something, they dont have anything to offer you. The beds were comfy, the sheets had stains in them (like old iron burn marks) It has a small kitchenette with plates and such, a griddle, minifridge, microwave. The TV service is terrible. They offer maybe 15 channels, one of which is HBO but their service is awful, the screen shakes continually. If you are just looking for a crash pad on the beach, this is fine. You are 10 steps from the beach. But if you like a little bit more of a luxe experience, keep looking. I dont think we would stay there again. Also, off season, their restaurant is CLOSED. No breakfast, no room service, so you are on your own for all meals.

Room Tip: If you want a DIRECT view of the ocean, book ocean FRONT not ocean VIEW so you dont experience the d...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Long Island, NY
Reviewed February 7, 2012

Stayed at the 1 Bedroom "Suite" for one night in Feb 2012, cost was $80, $92 with Taxes. Mind you, this is the OFF off-season, so everything was quiet and I did not explore much of the property. Where I stayed was called Royal Atlantic North and reserved a 1 bedroom "suite", which was across the street from the beach and main hotel. The room itself was backwards and definitely was NOT a 1 Bedroom suite, in that the "bedroom" was accessed immediately upon opening the door to the room. It it were high season and you are sharing this room with several others, then a few problems would arise. First of all, being so close to the front door, the bed is also subjected to all outside noises and in Montauk this could range from small children early in the morning to drunken groups VERY early in the morning. Also, the only bathroom in the unit is right next to the bed, so anybody needing to use the bathroom will have to be careful not to distrub anybody in the bed. The bed itself was comfortable enough, but might be tight for 2 if you're used to sleeping in a King. There was a separate 32" flatscreen in the "bedroom". You then walk through the kitchen area to get to the living room part of the suite. The kitchen was adequate with electric burner tops, small oven and basic kitchen utensils. There were a few pots & pans, silverware, glasses and dishes, but I would recommend bringing whatever you need if you plan on cooking. The fridge was definitely big enough to accomodate the needs of a family for a week with plenty of extra room for beer. In fact, unless you definitely would be bringing a cooler to the beach/parks, I would say that you wouldn't even need to bring a cooler, the fridge is not quite full size, but it's no Dorm room fridge either. The "living" room was sufficient, but small. It had a full size pull out couch, but I did not sample it. I think 4 or more adults in this room would be cramped. The is a round table with room for 4 chairs and a deck overlooking the pool. I stayed in room 233 which was right in the corner, so the deck overlooking the pool was also looking right into the deck of the adjacent room (think 90* angle) Also, if you require the privacy of a bedroom, this room is not for you. I have no idea of the amenities of this property, as it was dead of winter when I was here, but Wi-Fi was great, quick easy walking distance to Village, Laundry, groceries and ample parking. However, I think charging $325-340 a night for this room is ridiculous, but it is supply and demand and I guess if that's what they are charging, then that must be what people are paying. I was happy paying $92, maybe double that for in season, but almost 4x in summer is nuts(for me). Please feel free to email with any specific questions about this property or the Village of Montauk and I'll do my best to help. (golfnut1266@aol.com).

One side note about gasoline. It is crazy expensive in Montauk in Summer so I would recommend topping off your tank before you even reach the Hamptons. If you're coming out on Long Island Expressway (LIE of I-495), then I would recommend getting off at exit 63, North Ocean Ave) and getting immediately to your right where there is a Gulf gas station. This also allows easy access back to the LIE. Also, forget about what MapQuest or your GPS tells you, if you are coming out in summer, esp on a Friday, plan on it taking triple the time your directions tell you. Traffic through the Hamptons getting to Montauk is HORRENDOUS in summer.

Happy Travels.

Tim

Room Tip: I would ask for an upstairs room away from the Parking lot...maybe ask for the West end to reduce fo...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo