“A Nice Winter Weekend Getaway at the Manor”
Review of Montauk Manor

and 1 more site!
Montauk Manor
Philadelphia, PA
“A Nice Winter Weekend Getaway at the Manor”
Reviewed March 2, 2011

We jumped on the chance to stay at the Manor in February due to its cheapest rates of the year since it was the offseason. We arrived several hours before check-in but were able to get into our room around noon, which was a nice surprise. The front desk said its not the norm., but it helped that we booked a suite beforehand (I assume several rooms were available and/or not in use).

The lobby of the Manor was beautiful, a real warm feeling to it with plenty of charm. Things changed abruptly as we entered the hallway to our room. The hallways are drab and dim and my hope was our room would not be the same. We were ecstatic upon entering our suite (room 213). It was very nicely decorated and clean and had one the the biggest balconies at Montauk Manor. Since each room is owned by someone different, its sort of luck of the draw to what style and decor is hidden behind any door, so I can see how some reviewers here can post something negative about a room, if they happened to get a lousy, unkept room. In a way, its sort of a crapshoot. I would assume the suites (more expensive) have a better chance of being nicer overall rooms, but that's just a guess.

Based on the room map at the Manor, many rooms on the 2nd and 3rd floors have balconies of some sort, while rooms on levels 1 and 4 offered few, if any.

I checked out the indoor pool/fitness area and both looked nice. The grounds of the Manor were well kept as well, I can imagine in the summer them being very appealing with the outdoor pool and tennis courts.

There is a restaurant accessible through the lobby. Instead of heading down there, we ordered "room service" from it, which ended up being more like "take-out" as it was delivered in a plastic bag and in cheap plastic containers. That was a definite disappointment and I would recommend against "room service" for this reason. The food was nothing to write home about either, especially for the amount of money we paid.

We will definetely be making a return trip to the Manor in the next year, but it will likely again be during the winter months as summer rates are a bit out of our price range.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Pars1978

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Bay Shore, New York
Reviewed February 15, 2011

What a great romantic getaway for my boyfriend and I. When we got into our room, we were blown away by how nice it was-reminded me of a small beach house cottage!! Two floors with Kitchen(fridge, stove, butcher block, dishwater and a full stocked utensil drawer, Dinning area, Great big living room area with flat screen tv, two bathrooms and a loft bedroom upstairs. What a comfortable sleep too-awoke to a sunny view over the water, so beautiful! There are also DVDs for free rentals at the front desk-perfect for a lazy night!!! There is also free shuttle service to local restaurants-what a plus!!!!

Dealt with Donna Marco in sales-she's the best! Helped me create my dream vacation for a february weekend, from the perfect room to advice on dinner and hiking etc.

Breakfast in bed was also delish!

Don't even think twice-go stay at the Montauk Manor! You won't regret it!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kelsey18
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 18, 2010

Went to Montauk for my Bachelor party before getting married. Had a fun time at the manor with some of my friends. We especially enjoyed tennis and the many restaurants in the area. The hotel is pretty close to the train station, but you need to drive to the beach. Don't miss the Memory Motel.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Sayville, New York
Reviewed October 10, 2010

enjoyed our stay here at Montauk Manor, indoor pool was 84 degrees -wonderful and so was the hot tub very relaxing. Bedroom suite was very comfy & felt like home. Beautiful view from any side of the hotel. The fall decorations were fantastic inside & out!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Smithtown, New York
Reviewed October 3, 2010

My wife and I decided to take a last minute trip to Montauk for the Labor Day weekend. I expected to shell out a few bucks for booking last minute and finding a place that would have us for just three nights instead of the required 4 that most places enforced. However, I was blown away at the cost. Almost $1000 for the three nights at the Manor. We wanted to be in Montauk for the weekend, but it was quite the bitter pill to swallow.

Location:
Just so it's clear, the Montauk Manor is nowhere near the beach area. It is located about two miles away, so you do need a car to get to the beach. They do have a shuttle as well, but I wasn't aware of the schedule and since we had a car, we just drove to the beach.

Check In Process:
I thought this place was truly a hotel, but its not. People actually own the condos in the building and then rent them out. However, there is a hotel feel, since there is a front desk, a huge atrium / lobby area. Check in process was smooth an easy and the person at the front desk was very friendly and gave us a lot of information. Front desk was also very helpful in providing me a DVD when it was a rainy day and they also gave us a free pass to park at the beach.

Room:
As impressive the atrium / lobby area is, that quickly changed walking down one of the hallways to our room. It was very dark and dingy, and needed to be brightened up a bit. I do not know if this is the norm throughout the facility. The room itself was on the main level, and I was surprised at the layout of the room, which was a small loft type room. The room was very narrow and felt a bit cramped. There was a small kitchenette when you first walk in, a living area towards the rear, and then single bedroom was upstairs along with the bathroom. For the price I paid, I expected a LOT more, but the room was clean and comfortable and we were at the beach, so it was fine. Another annoyance was that our room was on the east side of the Manor, and the trash truck would make a LOT of noise picking up the trash in the early morning. That sucked. If you get a room at the is place, insist that it either be on the west end or south end of the facility. Also, on one of the nights, I could clearly hear activity in the neighboring room. While it was brief, it was an annoyance.

Dining Room:
While we didn't dine here, the dining room looked very elegant and we heard from other guests that the food is good.

Pool Area:
Pool is a decent size and clean, however, I only spent a few moments here as our goal was to get to the beach.

Other observations:
Parking is free, which is a plus, and there are tennis courts and spots to lock up your bikes. The appearance of the manor is beautiful and there is a lovely area outside where you can sit and watch the sunrise or sunset. The Manor is situated up on a hill and you have a great wide angle view of Montauk and the water.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dolphin80
NYC
Reviewed October 3, 2010

Pros:
Great location, 4-5 minute drive from downtown Montauk (on the hill above Surf Lodge)
Big hotel, grand lobby
Big room with fridge
Lots of staff everywhere, all very very friendly
Great views from Room 319 but small windows
One of few places in Montauk with a hot tub
Outdoor pool was great

Cons:
OLD hotel, hallways are in definite need of an upgrade
Only 2 elevators (that i saw) so it could be a wait if hotel is crowded
Unless you are lucky enough to get one of the 10 parking spots up front, parking is a 3-4 minute walk away
No mini-bar in room

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 29, 2010

My husband and I stayed here the first weekend in September. While the room was clean and adequate, it was not worth the price at all. The appearance of the place is fancy, but the reality is that it is a do-it-yourself hotel with very few amenities and not close to the beach or town. There are much better places to stay down on the beach that cost much less. There are no bell hops to help with the luggage. You have to wait for a luggage cart and do it yourself. The restaurant is unimpressive. The atmosphere is dull and feels a bit like a boarding house or old, run down New York City apartment building.

We had an ocean view room, which it turns out overlooks the parking lot. We were kept up by the car traffic, the squeaky luggage cart, people checking in and out and groups of people coming in late from the bars. I informed the management of our uncomfortable stay and all of the disturbances and they really didn't seem to care--very poor customer service.

Save your money and stay at a motel on the beach--it will be less expensive and no frills, but you will be able to walk to the beach and not be stranded up on the hill in an overpriced, disappointing boarding house.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank megonyc
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montauk
Gurney's Montauk Resort & Seawater Spa
Royal Atlantic Beach Resorts
Montauk Blue Hotel
Montauk Blue Hotel
#10 of 38 in Montauk

Been to Montauk Manor? Share your experiences!