“Defreakinglightful !!!”

Ranked #9 of 39 Hotels in Montauk
New Jersey
“Defreakinglightful !!!”
Reviewed June 23, 2011

My husband and I are frequent travellers and needed a quick getaway away closer than Casablanca. I'd spent time on eastern Long Island in the past and hoped we'd find a place that would please us. After viewing the usual blah, blah, blah about various locations, we decided on the Montauk Manor. We were hoping for good....we found
a miracle. The Manor...... Oh God! It was wonderful. From the toe in the door - to the trunk closing on departure... spectacular....unbeatable location, grounds, accomodation, beach 2 minutes away with day-long beach pass, sweet town, great food (yummy lobster/crab shacks/pancake house)...from day 1 it was all fun, fun, fun. I won't belabor the issue, but it is absoutely the best-kept secret on the east coast with pricing almost as good as staying with your parents. Before leaving we made reservations to return in September. Can't wait.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank impacked

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 19, 2011

My husband and I attempted to stay here for a weekend with my parents in a two bedroom suite but we barely made it through the night! There are two devastating flaws in Montauk Manor's two bedroom suites, the primary one being the most obvious: It is not a two bedroom! The second bedroom is actually a loft with no door and only a low wall separating it from the main area of the suite. If you have any kind of modesty at all this could make for a very awkward stay.

We could have probably toughed it out in the fake-two bedroom loft, however, if it weren't for this second, absolutely unforgivable flaw: There is a skylight directly over the bed. We groaned when we saw it and, as predicted, we were woken at 4:30 am by blinding sunlight shining directly in our eyes. There were no blinds and no way we could possibly get any sleep. Not good.

Groggily we went down to reception to complain and experienced possibly the rudest customer service ever. The woman at the desk had absolutely no sympathy for us. When we asked to change rooms my mother was told, very rudely, that she would lose the discount she received on booking the suite. At this point we really didn't care about that and were much more concerned with getting decent rooms we could actually sleep in. All we received from the receptionist was hostility, however. She said, "We never got any complaints before about the skylight." Which, if you know anything at all about customer service, is the last thing you should ever say to a guest. She then said the manager would call us in our suite so we went back upstairs to wait.

In the end they did refund that night's stay but never offered any kind of apology or regret that we were leaving their establishment quite disgruntled. We grabbed two rooms at Ocean Beach Resort and stayed there the rest of the weekend, which was lovely and very relaxing!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank RRRAAARRR
Huntington, New York
Reviewed June 14, 2011

My wife and I stayed in a one bedroom deluxe suite for two nights and we have to say it was a beautiful room, very clean and comfortable, great touch with the bedroom upstairs, staff was great, loved everything about the place except the "Tre Bella" restaurant, (food was not good), aside from that, what a great environment! We being picky people, loved Montauk Manor and would recommend it to anyone! Loved our stay!!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 12, 2011

First off I have to say the value is oustanding. You can read all the other reviews about the view and all everything that makes The Montauk Manor AMAZING. I have to say the staff was FANTASTIC! Polite, professional and little perks they gave at the MONTAUK MANOR are great! First is that they will shuttle you around Montauk so park your car and rely on the shuttle to take care of your travelling needs. To the beach, restaurants or anywhere you would like to go in Montauk they will give you a ride. It is so relaxing to let the driver take you where you need to go without the hassle of finding a place to park or directions etc.
Secondly they have a restauant in the Manor and an indoor pool. We just returned (today) and the weather wasn't too great but we still had fun! You can "rent" movies, games etc from the from desk free of charge (as long as you return them). These little things make the manor a great place to go above and beyond the spectacular rooms and view. We will definitely return!

Room Tip: call Hotel directly.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank ourmiraclechris
Long Island City, New York
Reviewed June 10, 2011

The Montauk Manor is great. It is clean, has a great staff and beautiful views, sunrises and sunsets of the Sound. The staff is friendly, accomodating and ,especially Michele, Janice, Andrea & Kathy.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank winniethepooh070
Panama City Beach, Florida
Reviewed June 7, 2011

What a beautiful view! Our room is bright and cheerful,could use a little updating but very clean and inviting! The grounds are so peaceful. Staff friendly, Patrick the lifeguard at the pool was very attentive and kind and even gave my kids swimmies to try out. A wonderful stay!

• Stayed June 2011
Long Island City, New York
Reviewed May 31, 2011

I booked the room last minute for Memorial Day weekend. Was told over the phone that we would have a private balcony as that is what I wanted for after the two babies went to bed. When I got there, they first wanted to put me in a smoking room!! After I said that was not acceptable, they put me in a room with stairs. (again, not something I want with a 10 month old trying to get up and down the stairs. When I called the front desk they said I had agreed to a smoking two level room. I had to argue with them to get another room (without a balcony). They kept saying I "misunderstood" when I made the reservation. Save your money and go elsewhere. It does not live up to the hype!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family