“Horrible!!!!!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hither House Cottages by the Ocean

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Montauk
Hither House Cottages by the Ocean
“Horrible!!!!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2004

Hither House is horrible!! The rooms are not at all what they show online. Dont be fooled like I was. We paid 1300 dollars and it was gross.They have nerve to charge that much!! The shower has 5ft. celings, the beds are so uncomfortable and the walls have spider webs.And you are not allowed vistors, not even for 5 min. So if you have friends at another hotel, they can not come there to say hello! They are not allowed on the property!!The people that own that place are mean, unprofessinal and rude!I have stayed at many hotels and never been treated so bad in my life.
YES, it was great to have my dog there, BUT I will never stay there again. They say they have many returning guests. Who ever stays there is out of there mind.Dont go, its a waste of money and soo far from the ocean, you cant even see it.Put it this way, I would not even let me dog sit on the couches!! Thats how dirty they were. They need to buy new beds/furniture, learn how to decorate, get a maid and most of all new owners for me to ever step foot in their door again!! By far one of the worst places in Montauk. My next visit will be in Oct. 2004, and it will not be at the hither house!!

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2004

I have been going to Montauk for the past 5 years and have stayed at many hotels , this by far was the worst experience of my stays anywhere!! first of all the rooms are nothing like what they show on their web site, so don't be fooled, they are old, dirty , and smelled very musty. the ceiling in the shower was so low my husband who is 5'10 and to kneel down to wash his hair. the management was extremely rude.
Our friends who were staying at another hotel near by dropped us off and decided to come in and sit out side with us for 20 minutes and the manager came and told us they had to leave we were not allowed to have any visitors. I can understand if they were sleeping there but all we were doing was talking outside our hotel room and he was so rude and told us if they didn't leave he would evict us and call the cops, after spending 1200 on this disgusting place then we were threaten. I have a dog and I love bringing her places but I will never be bringing her back to the hither house. These people were rude, the place was horrible, and its no where near the beach, if you look at a distance you can see water but you have to drive a while before you can get to the beach. Trust me if you are thinking of staying here DON"T there is not 1 nice thing I can say about this hotel.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Montauk hotels

Glen Head, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2004

I stayed there 2 years ago in a one bedroom unit. The owners are very nice. The cottage was up to date and very clean. We stayed with our dog. They are very pet friendly. We were close enough to the beaches and town and really enjoyed our stay. I highly recommend this property. On the weekend they set out a nice continental breafast under the gazabo. I am returning this weekend!! Go for it especially if you are traveling with your dog!

2 Thank Seektravel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2003

Just returned from Hither Hills Cottages for 5 days. It is pet friendly & my Golden Retriever had a great time. The staff is wonderful; helpful, friendly,always available. The cottages are clean,well kept & very nice for a place that allows pets. There are 8 cottages & everyone had a pet. I have to admit I was expecting a run down not very clean place but it was great. Wen & Lou were so nice. I've already planned a week in July 2004.

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member