“Obscenely expensive but easily Montauk's best”
Review of Surf Club Resort

Surf Club Resort
Ranked #13 of 39 Hotels in Montauk
Reviewed August 12, 2007

It doesn't get any better than this place! The condo-style rooms are amazing and this place is literally on the beach. One night here costs more money than most used cars but if you're filthy rich enough to spend over $1000 to stay for 2 weekday nights then go for it. Service could be better but who cares in such a great place like this. The clientele tends to be pretty old and farty though so if you're young, don't expect to meet any vacation drinking buddies. I love coming here off season when you can get a room for a measly $80 per night. Surf Club is highly recommended if you can afford it.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank beedouble

Reviewed June 20, 2007

We stayed in one of the 1-bedroom beachfront units at the beginning of May (still low season so very reasonably priced). We were right on the beach and had a superb view, it's great being lulled to sleep by the sound of the waves. The unit was clean and well-furnished (apart from the kitchen having no cutlery!).

As it was early season we didn't use the pool or other facilities so can't comment on these.

The Motel is within easy walking distance of shops, bars and restaurants in the town centre.

Montauk is a great location, right at the end of Long Island. We didn't have a car (came on the LIRR train from NYC (Penn station) for a short break and got a cab from the station), you can hire bikes from the place opposite Strawberry Fields in the town centre (can't remember the name) and cycle out to the Lighthouse (highly recommended). A great place for a relaxing break, and there are other things you can do which we didn't have time for, such as horse riding and visiting the varous wineries in the area, plus you aren't too far from the Hamptons.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank A340
Reviewed December 26, 2006

The property was great. We visited in late September, which is off-season and therefore pretty empty. we booked a 1br ocean view - everything new, very private, beautiful view of the ocean. there's beach grass growing in front of the condo so the ocean view rooms don't allow you to walk directly out onto the beach, but you can do so through a main pathway on the property. The building is designed on an angle, which gave our room an added sense of privacy. The shared amenities were not so great - the gym/sauna were small and didn't looked cared for, so we decided not to try them. The pool was fine. The staff was not really friendly or helpful. They insisted we leave a $150 cash deposit for a beach access pass, which we thought was a little ridiculous and caused us to have to make a trip back to the atm in town after just coming from there. We would have been able to swallow that better if they weren't so bothered and unapologetic in telling us so. The location is great and you can walk right into town for dining, shopping, renting surfboards, bikes and kayaks. This is definitely one of the newest accomodations and is more upscale than others - most of the beachfront places are more so motels. As far as the service goes, it feels more like you're renting a condo than staying at a hotel, but it is clean, in a good location, and the rooms have everything you need. For off-season, I though it was rightly priced for what it is and I would stay there again in an ocean view room.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
7  Thank jimmoshack
Reviewed August 18, 2006

We have stayed at the Surf Club for the past ten years and it is unbelievable how nasty the management has become. I guess they figure that they can rent out the rooms anyway so why be nice or accomodating to anyone. We had so many problems with the plumbing in our room. We had a flood and both the kitchen and bathroom were out of commission for hours. Management did not feel that this warrented any type of compensation. When you pay more than $3500 for one week for basically nothing and you are unable to use your bathroom and have to go to dinner, you deserve SOMETHING in return. The location of the Surf Club is great. The rooms are clean but in no way luxurious. The prices are ridiculous. I am tired of being a loyal patron, year after year and being treated as if I OWE THEM SOMETHING. Next year I will try Royal Atlantic!!

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
8  Thank givthks
Reviewed August 14, 2006

We went to stay with friends this weekend in Montauk, Friday and Saturday evening. They booked us a room at the Surf Club so that the boat wouldn't be too crowded. We were there for two nights, with a room change between, so we saw two of the rooms. The first was an oceanview room. Very nice view of the beach, with nice wild rose plantings coming up to the little deck. This was good, since the room was nothing to write home about -- basically about your average Marriott grade of room, though with a kitchenette. Shower was tepid at best both in the evening and the next morning for both my husband and me (we waited in between thinking we'd let it warm up, to no avail.) The second room was a non-ocean view. It seemed to have been refurbished slightly more recently, though as with the first room, could have used new bedding. Cleanliness of both was good.

Where the hotel really falls short is on service, which is clueless and unhelpful They called Saturday morning about our room change, wanting us out of our first room. However, they wouldn't give us keys to the second room, since it wasn't ready. We asked if they would move our luggage, since we didn't want to leave it in our friends' car all day while we were out doing things. They replied that we could move it, and we explained that then they'd need to let us in the other room. But they couldn't do that, because it wasn't ready....and around and around on this. It ended up taking two calls and a trip to the office to get them to agree that they could move the luggage, and they still seemed confused why we would want to know our new room number.

The real killer was that I left a pair of earrings in the room when we checked out on Sunday. I didn't realize it until we got home to California. The office isn't 24 hours, which I can understand, so I called the next morning and asked them to check. 45 minutes later, no call back. I called again. They said that they'd try to get the maid out there. I explained that the earrings were a birthday gift, sentimental value, etc. (all true, btw). They'd try to get someone to check. After *another* two and a half hours (this is over three hours from the first call), I called back again. Uh, no, they hadn't found them -- and they were rude about it! I realize the chances of getting my earrings back were slim, but I at least expected a CALL back!

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
8  Thank supergirl_dc
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 25, 2004

I took my family to Montauk this summer and we stayed at the Surf Club.
We could not have had a better vacation! The staff was wonderful and the Manager, Maria could not have been more kind and welcoming upon our arrival. The rooms were clean and well kept and you can not beat the location and views!

We can't wait to go back next summer!

21  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
West Hartford, CT
Reviewed August 12, 2003

My family and I stayed at the Surf Club for a week in August 2003. We found these to be very reasonable condos with nice location on the beach. Very nice heated pool. Babysitting service if needed. Good cable and VCR for rainy afternoons. Short walk to town restaurants and stores (including two health food places--Joni's and Something Natural).Warning that "two bedroom condos" are actually one bedroom (i.e., a room with a door) and a *loft* that overlooks the living area. Queen bed in downstairs room, two twins in upstairs loft. Loft can get rather warm, even with the AC on downstairs. (My kids didn't mind.) From other visitors, I have heard that the Royal Atlantic condo's (nearby) include two bedrooms, both with doors, and are gorgeous, on the beach, with great views. Hard to get, though, since there are only 12 and I have heard they are booked a year in advance. The Surf Club has more units and worked out great for us.

40  Thank A TripAdvisor Member