“Got illin' when we should have been chillin'” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Surf Club Resort

Surf Club Resort
Ranked #10 of 39 Hotels in Montauk
Huntington, New York
“Got illin' when we should have been chillin'”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2009

This place is in SERIOUS need of re-modeling. Our room was shabby, not at all what was expected. Yes, the location is great but who cares if the accommodations are sickening?!
For the prices they charge they should be able to afford some renovations. Look elsewhere in Montauk which is a great spot to chill.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Dreaming

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Astoria, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed for 3 nights towards the end of August at The Surf Club, and really enjoyed our time there! From reading previous unhappy reviews, I was a bit wary of what to expect, but we really did not have a bad experience at all. We rented a 1-br garden view duplex, #9 (but you could actually see some of the ocean from our bedroom window), and the trip started off on a good foot when Bill, the General manager, was very amenable to being flexible on his minimum stay policy. We were able to stay for 3 nights (not 4) at a reduced rate. I know the economy is suffering right now, but this was still a nice deal, and frankly, what made it affordable for us.

We took advantage of the fully stocked kitchen (stovetop, oven, full fridge/freezer, dishes, utensils, cookery, tea kettle, glasses) and cooked every breakfast and lunch for ourselves. We also cooked two dinners at home (one with fresh flounder from Gosman's Fish Market), and had a lovely dinner on the Docks at Dave's Grill.

The bed was perfectly comfortable, as was the living room. Flat-screen TV downstairs; older, smaller model upstairs. No DVD player in either room, sadly. Unlike another reader, we had cable TV and HBO on both televisions. No wi-fi either, but that is okay, because The Surf Club does not advertise that it has wifi at all. Within walking distance to the Main St. area, and steps from the gorgeous beach (we checked out beach towels and umbrellas from poolside, and enjoyed some time down by the waves). One tiny thing: the screen insert in the front screen door was loose, so we couldn't keep the front door open to get a breeze, for fear of letting in mosquitoes, etc. But that's a tiny detail!

They do not take advance credit card bookings: You have to pay in full, upfront, but they do take personal checks (no hassle of getting a money order). Don't worry....it'll be worth it.

We thoroughly enjoyed our time there, and have already discussed returning next year and bringing another couple or two with us. Thanks, Surf Club!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lucybaby77
ny
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2009

1st off I would like to say I never wrote a review before. We checked in around 6pm ran off to dinner came back and slept the next morning we woke up to the bed being infested with ants as well as the dressers. I go to use my laptop and I swear to you i had ants crawling out of it i completely panicked we were only there for a weekend stay we had an oceanfront 1bdrm duplex rate of $750/night what a joke. My 14 month old child found ant treaps on the floor and he tried to eat them i immediately contacted management they said oh we can come and spray bug spray and put more traps down i said wow you think i want my child around this stuff you could have let me know you had a bug problem. I only feed my child organic food, orangic milk and organic body products to use and they wanted to spray bug spray around him NO WAY. I immediately packed everything and ran out of there after just arriving the night before we were lucky to get a room at gurneys which was beautiful. That is the most horrible experience ever! We tried to get a refund and spoke to management they denied have bug problems and refused a refund they said we could get a future stay what a JOKE i would never return there EVER!! please do not stay there if you have young children espcially i was mortified by this experience.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank Jm M
Brooklyn, NY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2009

My wife and I recently went to The Surf Club for 5 nights with our 8 month old daughter, hoping to have a lovely vacation. Let me start by saying I have NEVER bothered to write a review for a hotel (or much else) before. But the unbelievably shoddy experience we had, combined with the outrageous cost, prompted me to try and help other unsuspecting travelers avoid this (frankly) dump...

First of all, it's important to know we paid over $600 per night - over $3,000 for 5 nights - for our 'ocean-front one bedroom suite' so I have to say I was expecting something with a little bit of luxury. Instead, we arrived to find a small, claustrophobic duplex that felt like it had the cleanliness of a used campervan. I swear there were dead bugs in the window-sills (not kidding) and the carpets hadn't been cleaned for several years, so with an 8 month old daughter it was kind of difficult to know where we might put her down to play - how about nowhere? On inspection of the bathroom, we discovered the ceiling was COVERED in mold (no joke.) Of course I called the reception straight away and told them we weren't happy. After about 16 hours (including one uncomfortable night) and quite a few more phone calls and visits to reception - with noone taking much interest in our problem, or even seeming very surprised by it! - I will say the Manager finally stepped it up and gave us another room - a bigger room that was (slightly) cleaner. That gesture was the one, positive thing that happened to us the entire week, so hats off him for that...

Since they did at least make an effort to (finally) solve our problem, I seriously considered not sharing our lousy experience online. BUT at the end of the day, my conscience won't allow me to remain silent about this place. The location is the only possible justification for it being way over-priced. The hotel is in major need of upgrading - including the slightly better room we ended up in. And you get the sense that, because it's clearly very popular and busy, they just don't feel like they need to make any effort apart from basically giving you a roof over your head.

In the end, because of the inconvenience we went through, the Manager offered us a free night on 'our next visit.' I didn't have the heart to tell him my next availability is in One Million Years. In fact, we actually left a day early to come home - leaving our $600 per night room for the bugs to live it up.

I wish I could be nicer about this place, since they did at least make an effort - after quite a bit of foot-stomping. But these sites are incredibly helpful when travelers give their honest opinions to other travelers. And to give my honest opinion, wild horses couldn't drag me back to The Surf Club in Montauk...

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
7 Thank brooklyngordonboy
Huntington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2009

I have stayed at the Surf Club in the past and have always enjoyed my stay. I wish I could say that I had the same experience with my most recent visit. The location is fabulous - right on the beach and an easy walk into town, but this is about all that is has going for it. The rooms are getting older and are not being updated and maintained. The bathroom sink had a crack, the rugs were old, dirty and worn, the screen door and shades kept getting stuck and the downstairs sofa bed was impossible to sleep on. The most offensive problem was that the room was extremely musty and reeked of mold and mildew. This is a real problem for anyone with allergies. We actually left a day early, even though we had to pay in full up front. It is odd that in this day and age credit cards are not accepted. Montauk is a great place for a vacation if you are looking for some R&R. Most of the hotels in town and on the beach are rundown and old. The Surf Club has always been a nice alternative in the past, but I am sad to say that this is no longer the case.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MaggieOOO
Northport, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2009

It cost over $500.00 a nite you must stay 4 nights which we were fine with the cost and time had it been what is advertised. There is no HBO and There is no WIFI traveling with a teenager they need the internet. They said if i had a cord i could use the telephone line dial-up for 10.00 a day. It was private and quite those were the good things. People were lighting bonfires on the beach so you had to shut your windows the smoke filled our rooms. The bed was extremely worn out very uncomfortable! The place was very small though it has two floors they were tight. It would be ok for a couple. It was musty. We don't get away often we work alot so for us to finally get away i was so sad and felt ripped off. DONT GO IT COST $ 2137.00 FOR 4 SAD NIGHTS AND THERES NOTHING YOU CAN DO THERES NO REFUND!!! Buyer Beware!!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank linnie43
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2009

My young son and I went to the Surf Club for a short vacation get-a-away. Everything about our stay was perfect. Easy and friendly check in...clean and efficient duplexes...great pool...steps to the beach, with includes poolside assistance to bring towels, beach chairs and umbrellas to the beach...within walking distance to town. We had a great time and made some everlasting memories. We will be back every year!!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family