“Perfect” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 39 Hotels in Montauk
New York, NY
“Perfect”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2009

I spent alot of time researching a place to stay in Montauk that was clean and appropriate for a family with a young child-the Surf Club is definitely that place. We rented a 1 bedroom, ocean front duplex for a week in June. It was perfect.

The unit was very clean. It had a full kitchen (with dishwasher) and was stocked with everything you could need (paper towels, sponge, soap, dish towel, coffee maker w/filters, dishes-pots-utensils, etc.). Flat screen TV's upstairs and down-the downstairs one had a VCR and DVD player. The bed was not that uncomfortable-I was expecting worse. The resort had towels, chairs and umbrellas that you could use for the beach. The pool was very clean and warm. My husband used the steam bath a number of times.

The views from our unit were breathtaking-if you can I would def. say go for the ocean front room. The ocean was so loud, you could hear it through the closed windows. I would love to go back in the future. We had an issue with keeping our daughter off the stairs (she is 1) because they were hard to block and she could climb through the wood railings on the deck, but other than that it was a perfect place to stay with young children. We walked to town everyday. We stayed on a pretty quiet week, so I don't know how noisy/crowded it is during peak season. I could see that parking might be an issue. We noticed alot of surfers parking in the lot and walking to the beach. Staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank Mauibreeze

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Plainview, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2008

We stayed at the Surf Club with two other families the week after labor day. We have a 3 year old son and an 11 month old daughter. The accommodations were perfect. There were so many kids at the property and beach access is next to the pool. We were so relaxed shortly after our arrival. My husband & I agreed this would be our new spot. The walk to town is so close too. We are definitely going back next year....planning another trip with the same two families and more friends want to be included. Already loving our experience- a few hours after checkout (we were still at the property using the pool)- I realized I was not wearing my diamond wedding band. I remembered wearing it the night before. It was definitely somewhere in the bedroom. I notified the front desk and they searched the room. The promised they would check with the cleaning staff the next day and if it was there- they would find it. I didn't have much faith. But- the next day I received a phone call saying they found the ring! The cleaning staff did an extensive search!!! I was speechless! We had such an amazing experience- even before the ring incident. I highly recommend the Surf Club. Their efforts and integrity really put this hotel in a league of their own.

• Liked — Beach is on the property
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank JZGold
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2008

Location, Location, Location. When you want the beach, this is what you want, and generally you will put up with a few inconveniences.

Pros: (Stay beachfront, if possible, and yes, it is worth the extra money)

Location (obviously.)
Great deck facing the beach and large enough for a table, 4 chairs and a lounge chair. Great views from living area and bedroom. Easy walk down to the beach. And the beach is gorgeous. You can walk for miles.

Cleanliness. Our unit was newly furnished, including carpeting. After reading other reviews, I think we just lucked out. Bathroom was a good size and stocked with great towels and very clean.

Pool, cabana, tennis courts available.

Montauk village a few streets away. Location again.

Restaurants: Lobsters, steamers, mussels - rec. Gosmans. It may be touristy, but it's still excellent and reasonable. And beachy, in a good way.

Cons:

THE BED is Bad - really bad. My husband said he hadn't slept in a bed that bad since he lived in a fraternity house 40 years ago. If there had been a Bed, Bath and Beyond nearby, I would have bought an eggcrate mattress pad. Next time I'll pack one.

Unit. It's small but fine for a small family or 4 really close friends. The kitchen has everything but counter space. We ate every breakfast and a couple of lunches there, but it was just my husband and I. I can't imagine contending with children in that tiny space, but everyone does it since it is a family resort. And the only bathroom is upstairs.

Price. It is expensive, but it is the nicest place in Montauk.

We love the area. It's not the Hamptons. It's the beach town I remember as a child. Think wooden screen doors that slam, old- fashioned stores and plenty of ice cream. Perfect summer vacation!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Bed, Small kitchen area
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank 4bwp
Westchester, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2008

The Surf club is an excellent family resort. The rooms are small, but stocked with everything you need for a great family vacation. The staff is kind and accomodating. The proximity to town, beach and pool, is second to none. I will always book my Montauk trip at the Surf Club.

• Liked — the location to Beach and Town
  • Disliked — the rooms are very nice, but a bit small
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank lovethebeach094
Pelham N.Y.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2008

The Surf Club is absolutely the best place to stay in Montauk.
I've stayed at quite a few places in the past 20 years in Montauk,
but the Surf Club is truly the best..
The satff led by manager Maria Del Vecchio could not have been nicer. The front desk staff were extremely warm and welcoming, the cleaning crew was extremely dilligent and hard working, and the beach staff were incredible.
My family took a "group vaction" (nine families) and we all stayed at the Surf Club. The staff, facilities, and family friendliness
of this resort made it the best vacation ever. ALL 9 families have already booked for next year! This place is AMAZING.

• Stayed August 2008
2 Thank Jerrypower
long island, ny
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2008

We stayed in a one bedroom duplex poolside/oceanview, but we could barely see the ocean; clean updated rooms; kitchens are stocked with everything you need except the food; beds and pillows are ok, but not great; bathrooms are spacious and clean and stocked with nice towels which is rare; great location - walking distance to town; towels, chairs and umbrellas available for the beach and pool which was very convenient; office staff was friendly and helpful with restaurant recommendations; our kids were happy and it was a huge step up from the Royal Atlantic where we normally stay; no restaurant or food onsite except for snack machines, but Nick's and the Royal Atlantic poolside grill are a short walk for lunch. We would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Disliked — beds
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank maryn1144
new york
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2008

Considering this spontaneous trip, a 1 night stay, the hotel room was acceptable, functional and clean. ~$350 for the night. Anyways, upon checkin @ 8:30pm the night clerk said 11am was checkout. I asked if there could be a deal to leave later in the afternoon. "No problem", she indicated that it was not reservered for the next day and that we could leave between 2-3pm, to "clean-up". There were very few cars in the lot. I'm thinking economic times are tough people can't afford vacations. After rising early for breakfast, and some beach sun, we returned to shower & pack gear into the car. Confused cleaning staff said we where supposed to leave and we left to drop off keys. I now notice full parking lots!! At the front desk, the day clerk doesn't believe that the night clerk told us we could leave beetween 2-3pm. "That's impossible!" She's getting very defensive, loud and rude says that my credit card is being charged an additional $75, for leaving late. Yes, front desk notices clearly indicate 11am, not my credit card receipt though. LESSON LEARNED: Get things in clear writing...staff was very defensive and loud.

• Liked — clean
  • Disliked — front desk
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple