“Best location...Mediocre Quality”

Surf Club Resort
Ranked #13 of 39 Hotels in Montauk
“Best location...Mediocre Quality”
Reviewed May 28, 2011

Staying here at the SurfClub for memorial day weekend 2011. So far I can tell you that this resort has the best location in Montauk. That's about all for the pro's.

As for the cons...I'm in an oceanfront 1 bedroom duplex and although I can see the ocean, I do not see the beach. I dint think you can see a sand beach from any of the units. All you see is high grass and then ocean which in my opinion is terrible. If you look at their website you would think you can see the full beach from your oceanfront units.

Anyway, to the room. It was small, not clean and overall not comfortable. They must have an ant problem because ants are scattered around the unit floors. When I checked in yesterday I noticed a large insect caught in a web in the corner of the room.

So yea, that's my experience so far.
If you still decide to stay at this place you should not spend the extra money on an oceanfront unit because like I said, it's more of a bay view. I associate a sand beach with ocean when I think oceanfront, maybe that's just me.

Consider the rates solely for the location.

So far I like Panoramic View's accommodations better. At least I could walk around my unit barefoot and not have to kill any insects.

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank Jimmyblaze

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
nj
Reviewed October 20, 2010

My family recently returned from a great long weekend at the Surf Club in Montauk, NY. We stayed in a 2 bedroom loft unit. The offseason rates are very reasonable. The room was clean and had plenty of space for a family of 4. The small full kitchen was a little dated, but everything worked fine. Wireless internet was available. The location is terrific, right on the beach and a short walk to restaurants and stores in the village. The grounds looked nice, the 2 tennis courts appeared to be in great shape. The pool had recently closed for the season.
The entire staff was very nice and friendly (Bill the manager, front desk staff, cleaning crew, etc). We arrived late, after the office had closed. We had no problem getting into our room, but could not get the wireless internet to function. We left a message with the hotel office. Within minutes one of the staff stopped by our room and assisted us. We are looking forward to our next stay at the Surf Club.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank njsnowboard
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed June 7, 2010

After scouring websites for weeks trying to find an affordable, clean hotel in Montauk that was on the beach, my husband and I found Surf Club at the last minute and are so happy we did. We stayed in an oceanfront duplex that was not totally modern (the mattress could have been a little more comfortable), but very clean, and had any amenity we could have asked for: full kitchen, private deck, bath/shower, two TVs (which we never turned on), and best of all - quiet! Other than the ocean, we didn't hear a peep all weekend. (Given the number of families who were also vacationing there, I was really surprised about that.) We spent most of our time at the beach, but also enjoyed the pool, which has plenty of lounge chairs. My one gripe is that they don't also have these full-body, reclining lounge chairs for the beach. Instead, they have shorter chairs, which can be carried down from the pool. These were okay, but at 8 months pregnant, I would have been a lot more comfortable if I had been able to stretch out a little more. Overall, this is a great pick for a relaxing getaway in Montauk if you plan to eat in and do as little as possible. We will be back!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jensen33
Clearwater, Florida
Reviewed May 11, 2010

When we got there, there was no hot water or heat or air! We missed our dinner reservations because we could not shower. They put us in another unit that had construction at 8:00am!!! It woke everyone up until we called and complained. They made no adjustments, just take it or leave it. Don't stay there unless they GUARANTEE satisfaction. It's worth only $79 per night to me.......

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank denis046
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 24, 2010

last year we came here for a weekend and loved it. this year we came back and wanted the same room - coming during off season is an excellent deal and we got an ocean view room for under $100, almost unheard of out here. however, the hot water wasn't running, so the maintenance guy came and turned it on, but a few hours later it still wouldn't work. we called the front desk and he gave us a few keys to other rooms to take our pick of which one we liked - including an ocean front room which was double the price, free of charge. no questions asked. we will definitely be coming back a 3rd time next year.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank fsshi
Huntington, New York
Reviewed December 7, 2009

This place is in SERIOUS need of re-modeling. Our room was shabby, not at all what was expected. Yes, the location is great but who cares if the accommodations are sickening?!
For the prices they charge they should be able to afford some renovations. Look elsewhere in Montauk which is a great spot to chill.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Dreaming
Astoria, NY
Reviewed September 1, 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed for 3 nights towards the end of August at The Surf Club, and really enjoyed our time there! From reading previous unhappy reviews, I was a bit wary of what to expect, but we really did not have a bad experience at all. We rented a 1-br garden view duplex, #9 (but you could actually see some of the ocean from our bedroom window), and the trip started off on a good foot when Bill, the General manager, was very amenable to being flexible on his minimum stay policy. We were able to stay for 3 nights (not 4) at a reduced rate. I know the economy is suffering right now, but this was still a nice deal, and frankly, what made it affordable for us.

We took advantage of the fully stocked kitchen (stovetop, oven, full fridge/freezer, dishes, utensils, cookery, tea kettle, glasses) and cooked every breakfast and lunch for ourselves. We also cooked two dinners at home (one with fresh flounder from Gosman's Fish Market), and had a lovely dinner on the Docks at Dave's Grill.

The bed was perfectly comfortable, as was the living room. Flat-screen TV downstairs; older, smaller model upstairs. No DVD player in either room, sadly. Unlike another reader, we had cable TV and HBO on both televisions. No wi-fi either, but that is okay, because The Surf Club does not advertise that it has wifi at all. Within walking distance to the Main St. area, and steps from the gorgeous beach (we checked out beach towels and umbrellas from poolside, and enjoyed some time down by the waves). One tiny thing: the screen insert in the front screen door was loose, so we couldn't keep the front door open to get a breeze, for fear of letting in mosquitoes, etc. But that's a tiny detail!

They do not take advance credit card bookings: You have to pay in full, upfront, but they do take personal checks (no hassle of getting a money order). Don't worry....it'll be worth it.

We thoroughly enjoyed our time there, and have already discussed returning next year and bringing another couple or two with us. Thanks, Surf Club!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple