“Delightful”

Ranked #1 of 38 Hotels in Montauk
Putnam Valley, New York
“Delightful”
Reviewed July 11, 2007

We live in NY, so we are familiar with Montauk and other hotels.
My husband and I stayed for 3 nights here and were thoroughly pleased with the facility.
The property was very clean and our room was well appointed. We had room #3, which was a suite accomodation, perfect for 2 people and included a whirlpool bath, which came in handy after cycling all day!
The maid service was excellant as was the atmosphere of the 17 room, 2 floor motel. No pool, but who needs one, when you're only a few feet away from the ocean?
No noise heard at all and the other guests kept a low profile.
The owner/manager was so delightful and very knowledgeable of the area. She takes great pride in her property.
Would we return again.............you bet ya!!!!!

• Liked — location, cleanliness,friendly manger
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank doubletrip

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
NY
Reviewed July 2, 2007

I booked last minute, as I always have to, as my husband is a NYC police officer and it's very difficult to get away. I was given a very good last minte rate of $175 and was told by Ginny that when we arrived that even though our room may not be ready just come and enjoy the beach. She called our cellphone when the room was ready around 1:30. The beach is directly across the street. Another hotel of a similar name, "The Ocean Beach Resort" is directly across the street from the Ocean Resort Inn but it is on the beach. They also had room available last minute also but they wanted $100 more than Ginny. I could not fathom spending that kind of money just to be 65 feeet closer. The room was very clean, but small. We had a little problem with the shower (Stall) that the hot and cold water would not mix, but after playing with the knobs I was able to get it to work. She had free chairs and Umbrella's (brand new) and beach towels. We made use of these. Town was so close, we even had pizza delivered right to the beach by Pizza Village, which is like a block and a half away from the motel. The entire place was very clean and Ginny would greet you by name. I only stayed one night, and although we had neighbors of all ages, I did'nt hear any noise - It was very quite. We made a Bonfire on the beach and you can drink wine or beer with no problems on the beach - Montauk was very relaxed - no beaches by us in Western Suffolk County would allow that. The stars were so bright and we saw the Moon rise over the water (it was big and orange, actually kinda of spooky). I did ask Ginny for a rate on a stay in about two weeks (July 15-18)for 3 days and the rate of $245 per night was way more than I could afford. The Ocean Beach Resort on the Ocean was asking around the same price and but they have a pool and a snack bar and they are water front. So I could not book with her at that price. I will call back and maybe something less expensive will open up. The $175 rate was fair for the season and the location, but with no pool or bar, snack bar, it's about the most I could see paying. We had lunch at Gurneys Inn (sandwhiches $9.50) and they wanted $1500 for two nights for a Studio, $1900 for a Ocean front suite for three nights (July 15-18). I could not fathom spending that much, the place was not as nice as Marriott resorts and the service we experienced was very bad. The servers were speaking spanish to each other constantly ( I am spanish and feel that people think your speaking about them when you speak a different language in front of them, and most times they are!). You couldn't get a smile out of any of them. It was very disappointing. Nice location but the people and surroundings just not on par of $700 a night. Over all the reviews of the Ocean Reosrt Inn are on the money, I wish the price was $175 or so as that would keep me coming back. I will try in August when the water will be warmer. The water was only 67 degrees and to cold to enjoy. This place was a good find and I hope to be able to return.

• Liked — It was clean and reasonable for the location and amenities.
  • Disliked — No pool and the advanced booking price was too expensive for the lack of pool and ocena front location.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
8 Thank asigosailing
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 2, 2007

just got back from a last minute saturday night in Montauk. we were 2 couples and paid $165 per room. pleased to find a place that would do a single night stay on a weekend. our room was a regular size but our peeps room was quite large (room 1), both were on the ground floor. the rooms were really clean and fresh - my super picky sister even said so! Ginny is nice and really helpful. the location is perfect for town and the beach - you can manage without a car if you are content to stay local, everything you need is in walking distance (yes mr johns pancakes were good!) and there are cabs. nice touches such as beach towels and chairs avaliable, also a bbq and lounging area.
i have only good things to say but keep in mind if you haven't visited before, Montauk is not the ritzy Hamptons you see on "[--]and the city". it has a very different feel, it is a "regular" beach resort and the low key motels reflect that. it is amazing value for the Hamptons.

• Liked — location and kind manager
  • Disliked — it was exactly as expected
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
6 Thank fishgirl20
shampoo47
Reviewed May 31, 2007

Stayed during memorial day weekend. Traffic going there was crazy but the stay was absolutely wonderful. The staff was very friendly, especially Ginny, who's very accomodating, honest and helpful. The rooms were impeccably clean and comfortable. There was a picnic table right outside my room so we ate dinner outdoors almost everynight . WOuld definitly recommend this place and go back in the future.

• Stayed May 2007
6 Thank shampoo47
San Francisco
Reviewed May 21, 2007

The Ocean Resort Inn was a very nice clean place to stay. There was a very nice kick back area for lounging with hammoks, swings, and BBQ's. The Staff was great. It was very warm and cozy. We traveled all the way from San Francsico to stay at this hotel to attend a wedding. I reccomend this hotel to anyone who is visiting Montauk.
Overall 110% quality, with 100% comfort.

• Liked — friendly workers
  • Disliked — nothing at all
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank candigurl0044
Islip, NY
Reviewed April 30, 2007

The Ocean Resort Inn was one of the nicest places I've stayed in Montauk. Not only did Ginny, the inn keeper, make our stay as pleasurable as possible but the cleanliness of the room and renovated bathroom did too. The courtyard was full of lounge chairs, hammocks and bar-b-ques which only added to its excellence. It was also a quick walk to town which was very convenient. I highly recommend this jewel to anybody traveling out to Montauk.

• Liked — The cleanliness.
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TeaganW
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed April 7, 2007

Like others, I saw the great reviews and booked this hotel - and was a little disappointed. Not vacation-ruining disappointed, just not jumping up and down, thrilled with the accommodations.

The good: The room was definitely spotless, bathroom had all new fixtures, so no problems there. It was very small, however, but not all the rooms are that small - we booked at the last minute, and Ginny admitted that the only room she had left was very small. So that was OK.

The not so good: My biggest problem with it was that the a/c, while it kept the place cool, didn't quite keep it from feeling really humid. In fact, all of Montauk felt really humid that week, no matter where we went, but I wished the room had been a little more comfortable.

The truth: Also, the hotel, or motel, is a nice, clean seaside motel and nothing more. This is not the Marriot or the Hilton on the beach, neither of which you can find in Montauk anyway. It's nothing special looking, not ugly, not beautiful, just well-kept and freshly painted, which is more than you can say for most of the hotels in Montauk. In fact, I think the best feature of this motel is that I couldn't find a single place in Montauk that looked better - most were much much worse, looking shabby and run-down and like they'd been built in the 70's and never updated.

There is no ocean view, by the way, at this motel. Maybe if you go out on the porch and stand on tip-toe, MAYBE you can see a little blue, but that's it. Not that it matters, and it really doesn't in Montauk.

So basically I cannot in fact say that this is not the best place in Montauk, just that it's more functional than luxurious, sort of like a Hampton Inn, so don't think that the rave reviews mean you'll be staying in some extravagant hotel. It's a great value, not necessarily a great hotel.

• Liked — Clean and updated
  • Disliked — Room felt humid, although a/c worked.
  • Stayed August 2005, traveled as a couple