“Great as expected and more...”

The Ocean Resort Inn
Ranked #1 of 38 Hotels in Montauk
Bayside, NY
“Great as expected and more...”
Reviewed October 7, 2009

Having read many reviews of various hotels and inns at Montauk online, I was impressed with the reviews of The Ocean Resort Inn and decided to spend a weekend there with my girlfriend. The rooms were indeed very clean and comfortable. The Wifi there was useful for me to do a little bit of work.

What impressed me most beyond my expectations, however, was how amenable Ginny was to an unforeseen situation that I fell into before my trip.

Just 5 days before my trip, I spoke with Ginny and explained my situation and told her that I might not be able to make it there. Ginny went out of her way to help me with some motherly advice and since I had already paid the deposit via money order, she offered to leave credit in my name for a room through the following year if I couldn't make it. Throughout my entire ordeal, I sensed genuine concern for me as a person and not just a customer. That's the kind of care you get from proprietor-owned places. Ginny truly went out of her way to look out for me.

Fortunately, my situation worked out and I was able to make it the past weekend for a great time out.

When I made my reservation, they did not take credit cards but you can mail in a check or money order.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
New Jersey
Reviewed October 2, 2009

Place was very clean and the maid service was good. Seconds away from the beach. However, I would watch out when dealing with the owner of the inn - Ginny. Seemingly jovial when we first checked in (something seemed off though), I got an earful when confronting her about our whirlpool not working the next day. She went on a rant about drugs she was on and telling me I had no respect when clearly she was the only one yelling. She tried to kick us out and dared me to find another place to stay during the Labor Day weekend. I was calm about the whole matter and just decided to drop it. The following day I received an apology from her (and another time afterwards) and some credit back but was it really worth being scolded like I was 12 years old? I don't think so.

Also, I also experienced similar issues as other posts mentioned. The temperature of the showers were inconsistent moving from hot to cold (we stayed on the 2nd floor). Also, the bed was creaky and old. It probably could have been replaced but after my first confrontation with Ginny, I decided it was best to leave the "loose cannon" of an owner alone. They did have free Wi-Fi but our room didn't have a great signal and I was forced to just rely on my cell phone.

I will definitely come back to Montauk again but not at Ginny's Inn. I can see why people rave about this place but to me, it wasn't worth it.

4 Thank 2Tour4Fun
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 30, 2009

Spent 2 nights here last weekend for the Hampton marathon. Motel is in a good location in Montauk. It's across the street from the beach. There are only 2 floors and maybe about 17 rooms in total. They even provided us with beach chairs & towels. The room has a microwave, small fridge & coffee maker. Free wifi was a plus! Bathroom has everything you need: shampoo,conditioner,shower cap & soap. I've stayed at Atlantic Terrace last year and they didn't have any of this besides soap. The only thing I had a problem with, was the shower. One night it was fine but the next morning it was horrible. As I was taking a shower, the water temperture went from scolding hot to freezing cold. This would happen every couple of minutes. I guess they don't want you to take a long shower! Other than that, Ocean Resort Inn is a charming place especially the front of the motel. Ginny is great!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank Aloha_BeachBum
New York City
Reviewed September 25, 2009

Went with old friends for a "get together". The motel is cute, homey and friendly. The rooms were immaculate and the added little extras made your stay very pleasant. Picnic tables, swings, hammock, barbarque available - to get together for friendly gathering before dinner. The staff, Ginny, Lynn, Idaly and Diane, were courteous, friendly and helpful. The beach, restaurants and local attractions readily accessible. Would definitely stay again and would recommend for all.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
NY
Reviewed September 23, 2009

Our stay at the Ocean Resort was very comfortable, the room very clean and kept that way by the housekeeping staff each day. The owner and her assistant were very polite and helpful. We had a fairly good size fridge and a microwave as well as coffee maker and fresh coffee packets each day so you can do your own breakfast if you like. The location is very handy to both the town and the beach. As with any beach town, especially one easily reached from a major metro area by train, your experience will vary by the season, weather and exact room booked but we found the whole area great in Sept and the Ocean Resort a great choice.

1 Thank TravelSmith
New York, NY
Reviewed September 20, 2009

The ocean view is just about perfect and most everything is within walking distance (shops, bars, resturants, beach). The staff is great, rooms are clean and spacious. The best part is the peace and quiet and only being across the street from the beach.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank cpc666
New York
Reviewed August 26, 2009

I am really surprised at all the great reviews I read about Ocean Resort Inn, and was really disappointed in my stay. You should know that they have major issues with the showers at this place. Water pressure and temperature were a big issue. The shower stall was so tiny that you had to jump out every 30 seconds because you would get scalded and then frozen constantly. We took showers at all different times during the day throughout our stay, and each one was worse than the next. The bed was so bad, it was like sleeping on rocks. It seemed to me like once they had my money, they really didn't care about anything else - and could not care less if we came back for another stay. But boy, did they want that check quickly - or else!! The room was clean - which is what you would expect for any hotel or resort, the location is great (but there are plenty of other places close by), and they had free high speed internet, which is nice too - but the shower thing and the bed really put a damper on my vacation. I would rather have slept and showered on the beach.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple