“Excellent, backyard feel, you can hear the waves across the street!”

The Ocean Resort Inn
Ranked #1 of 39 Hotels in Montauk
Reviewed July 31, 2009

This is a wonderful, small hotel, with a B&B feel to it; the rooms are quaint and very clean. Plenty of space, good size closet, nice bathroom.
There is a lovely, peaceful center courtyard with picnic tables, grills, lounge chairs, tons of flowers and a homegrown veggie garden! It is surrounded by a tall hedge, so you have privacy from the street, and it feels like a backyard. Ginny, the manager is down to earth, kind and accommodating all while running a tight ship.

As for getting to the beach, you cross the street and walk right into the sand dune path to the beach. We sat on the deck outside our room in the Adirondack chairs listening to the waves, 100 feet away...so you can enjoy being near the sea even if it's raining.
They provide complimentary beach towels, chairs and umbrellas so you can set yourself up on the beach, and drop it all off at the end of the day. It's ideal!!

This is the BEST place to stay in Montauk, hands down.
We have already booked our next weekend here later in the summer.

1  Thank HouseRules

Reviewed July 30, 2009

I just got off of the phone with Ginny, the hotel manager, and am incensed! Though I am an avid TripAdvisor viewer, this is my first time actually writing a comment, and it is all because of this horrible woman!

I called, asking what her availability might be for the dates we're interested in a mini-vacation: a check in on a Saturday, with a check out on a Tuesday (3 nights, over a month away). She then proceeded to tell me that those dates might be a problem. I thought, "Okay, she's already booked, or doesn't have a room available for all 3 nights, I understand."

But then it gets better: she proceeded to tell me that she doesn't start bookings on a Saturday because then what about the Friday night. "Weekends are Friday, Saturday and Sunday," she said. I replied, "Well, not everybody's 'weekend' falls on those days. Some people don't have traditional days off." She remained adamant that that wasn't her problem, and was very blunt about how booking me on a Saturday would lose her money for another "weekend" booker, unless I wanted to pay for the Friday night as well, even though I wouldn't check in until Saturday!

If she had told me that there were no rooms available, that would've been fine. But the fact that she was discriminatory towards me simply because I don't have a "typical" workweek schedule - coupled with the rudeness in which she conveyed this information - has forced me to write this (more of a comment/warning, than a review). I had read the other terrible reviews - mostly all involving Ginny's attitude - and was hoping to be pleasantly proved wrong, since this place is rated #1. But sadly, that was not the case.

11  Thank lucybaby77
TerrorMontaukNY, General Manager at The Ocean Resort Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2009

This review was written based on a phone call received inquiring about a weekend stay. The reviewer has never stay at the property and was looking to stay starting on a Saturday. I informed the caller we have a 3 night minimun stay requirement on our weekends. I also informed caller that we do not start anyone on a Saturday but book Friday, Saturday and Sunday as our weekend. This has been house policy for as long as I have been general manage at this property 12 years. Caller stated that she could get a room starting on Saturday elsewhere but want to stay at our property because of all the great reviews. The caller became upset and stated she was going to write a bad reveiw and apparently she did.

Reviewed July 27, 2009

Montauk hotels are slim pickings for nice places...Ocean Resort Inn is the best of the lot...and Ginny is areat host. Very clean rooms, right next to the beach and town, free Wifi, beach chairs, towels, umbrellas and boogie boards. My only negative would be water temp in shower changes frequently...be careful but this is very common at beach motels.

Reviewed July 22, 2009

Stayed here for 4 nights in July. Mini-vacation -great weather helped. But Tripadvisor was right on the money again. Very clean (not always an easy task when you are across the street from the beach). Ginny was a very friendly and gracious host - gave me a good recommendation for a nice place for dinner (Harvest on Fort Pond - Fishbar is also good) . Grounds of the hotel have a barbecue, hammock, several sturdy swings for two (adults), outdoor shower, free beach chairs (in good shape), beach umbrellas and beach towels. Coffee maker, mini-fridge, free Wi-Fi A/C in room. We opted for the larger upper floor room with soaking jet tub. My wife used the tub once and said it was fine. View from upper floor was OK. Not sure I'd pay extra for that - but the extra space in the room was welcome for a four day stay.
Bed was comfy. Good closet space. Decent selection of channels on the TV.
I would echo the recommendation of one of the other reviewers - some type of black-out drapes/curtains would be an improvement over the floor-to-ceiling blinds. Drapes/curtains would afford more privacy but also keep out the light from the outside lights.
But all-in-all a great place near the beach, in a quiet part of town but within 3 blocks of main street. I would definitely recommend it and would stay there again.

Reviewed July 22, 2009

We had a wonderful stay. Clean, quiet, comfortable rooms with a pleasant, helpful staff. Thanks again Ginny! We'll see you soon!

Reviewed July 20, 2009

Yes it's one block away from the beach. But it's a short block, maybe 1 minute till your feet hit the beach. They provide beach towels, and beach chairs. Ice machine for your cooler. My suggestions is for thicker/fully covering window blinds. We were on the first floor and felt like people could easily look inside while we were "playing." Also the shower is very narrow, the water ended spraying passed the curtains.

You can walk to the main Montauk circle, but you still need a car for other sights and restaurants.

Reviewed July 18, 2009

Went back for our fifth time to Montauk and once again this is by far the best place to stay. Only needed to get in our car to go horse back riding and play golf.
Rooms are clean, have cable tv, we never need to pack our beach towels or chairs as Ginny in office always has extras. (at no cost unlike other places).
Just so laid back, love taking my nap on the hamack and swinging on the swings with my hubby late at night listining to the ocean.
I highly recommend to any one lloking to get away this is the perfect place.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple