“spacious and beautiful views”
Review of Sun 'N' Sound

Sun 'N' Sound
Ranked #25 of 39 Hotels in Montauk
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I spent several days here and must say that I was very impressed with the size of the rooms and the attention to detail by the staff. the room I stayed was more like a suite and the bedroom was separate from the living room and had a tv in each room along with a full kitchen. the room was immaculate and the staff maintained them that way. there is a pool if you are not a beach person and it is only a short walk to the dock area and restaurants. the view is beautiful at sunset and is photo op worthy. great place to bring the kids also.

Room Tip: ask for an upper level room if available
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank bill m

Reviewed June 17, 2013

We enjoyed our brief stay at this quiet & pretty location on Block Island Sound, far from the traffic in town. Efficiency units provide flexibility with meals. There is an unheated pool & no microwave oven. Walls are quite thin.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Jimbo_Queens_NewYork
Reviewed October 1, 2012

This is a cute place in a beautiful location- as long as your expectations are realistic. It's not going to have the beauty of a 4 or 5 star place, but it's not a complete disaster either. I stayed on a Friday and Saturday night with my husband and kids. The motel appeared to be full or close to it, but thankfully was very quiet.

The Good- We had the waterfront queen loft. The view was beautiful. When they say a room is waterfront it is literally on the water. The outside seemed to be very well maintained. The pool looked like it was actually still open, which was surprising for the end of September, and looked clean. The pool is in the parking lot with no view. The room had a small but full kitchen, and that was actually clean. All of our dishes, utensils, the stove, etc appeared to be clean.

Could be better- Maintenance inside the rooms is lacking. The first sight that greeted us when we walked in were several large stains on the carpet. I'm not saying no one ever attempted to clean them, but a waterfront hotel that attracts people looking to fish and cook in their rooms should invest in a tile floor. The couch just had that "do you really want to sit here" look. We immediately opened up the bed and covered the entire thing with sheets for the kids. No weird smell coming from it or anything, just looked like it had been there since the 80s and had seen better days. The queen bed upstairs had this thin wicker headboard that had been nailed in the wall. However, it had actually been pulled out so the headboard had several long rusty nails sticking out of it. (I alerted the desk about this upon checkout so hopefully that has been resolved.)
The maid service was decent. I think the problems are more due to the need of a serious update than anything else. No matter how much the staff cleans, they can't make an old carpet look new, or make me feel like I should actually trust the colorful 80s style motel bedspread. I never actually met any staff- the front desk is limited to 9-5, but my phone contact with them for check in/ check out was fine.
With a little investment, this place could be really great. I don't think Dune Resorts (the parent company) should try to make this place fancy, but a few updates inside could really make this place stand out. While I would stay here again, I will look into other options first.

Room Tip: As others have said- the loft rooms have skylights and are very bright in the morning. That was fin...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank jmack_10
Reviewed September 17, 2012

The best aspect of this motel is the large deck on the Block Island Sound, and the rooms that open onto it. It was gorgeous, and made up for all of the problems, but I don't think I'd stay here again.

The pool was also clean and refreshing, and a nice amenity.

However, the room was dirty. My wife and I noticed that the bottoms of our feet turned black from walking on the carpet barefoot. There were stains on the couch cushions. A couple of the dishes were dirty. I might have brought these problems up with the front desk, but it's only open from 9-5, and even then it was clear that I shouldn't bother--highly unlikely anything would get resolved.

The aforementioned patio was really great, but the furniture is old and dirty, and the table had a crack in it. Deck furniture could also use a serious upgrade. And in miscellany, the room had a coffee maker and coffee filters, but no coffee--seriously? Other problems: lamp broken and light bulbs burned out.

All in all, I'm sure you can do a lot worse in Montauk, and the view was amazing, but this motel has some maintenance problems and cleanliness issues.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Ben_from_Brooklyn
Reviewed July 18, 2012

This was such a nice place to stay, particularly during the crazy summer period that is Montauk! It was out of town situated on Block Island Sound and was so quite, incredibly clean and a great place to relax with the family. It is within walking distance to Viking Fast Ferry which goes to Block Island and walking distance to Gossmans, one of the nicest seafood restaurants I've eaten at! The internet can be a little difficult to get started but once up and running, is fine. The hotel owners/managers are really great and exceptionally helpful. Their front desk staff could learn a thing or two from them about being polite and courteous though.

Only downside is that the rooms are exceptionally bright VERY early in the morning and they leave the exterior lights on all night as well which is a little annoying but you get used to it!

Overall, would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: I don't think it matters where your room is this is just a great spot!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Reilly1716
Reviewed July 6, 2012

Had a great 3 days with my boyfriend....stayed in a studio ontthe bay and we had a full kitchen and a great deck on the water! Great staff and can't wait to make plans for next month.....very clean and got a beach pass from the front desk so I could use all the town beaches in Montauk...

Room Tip: Bay front studios are great for two or three people....had a queen bed with a twin pull out sofa
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Michelle P
Reviewed September 10, 2011

Our fourth of July stay at Sun and Sound was the best ever for the young people in my care this summer. They wanted to have a white party in the Hamptons like Diddy, so I set out to make it memorable for them. I booked Sun and Sound online because my niece loved the photo of the sunset and the balcony. I liked that they had a barbeque grill on the balcony so I was sold on that. I called the office the day before we got there to check for the policies of the hotel, because I was traveling with a group of young people I wanted to make sure that there would be no problems but the young lady on the phone was very vague about the policies. I don't blame her though I should have been clearer as to what we were planning but I think that the resort should have their policies listed on their website. When we got there I found out from the policy list that she gave me that "noise" was absolutely forbidden and I was expecting friends for the barbeque on the balcony. I seriously thought about canceling the reservation but she said they had already put it through on my credit card. I relented because I did not want to disappoint the young people and the young lady in the office was so pleasant and curious about what was going on. Needless to say, the office had a few complaints about the young people at the pool who were trying their best to not make "noise." We didn't even play music or anything at the barbeque because we were walking on "eggshells." All in All, the young people had a great time and said they would never forget it. A few of my friends said they would definitely go back there with their spouses because the view of the sunset was breathtaking and stole the show. They said it was the best July 4th ever! The next day I took the young people horseback riding at Deep Hollow Ranch and then we headed back home. I guess the resort caters to couples who want to get away from it all but I was very grateful that the ladies in the office handled the situation with care.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends