“THE BEST PLACE FOR A REUNION”
Review of Sole East Beach

Sole East Beach
Ranked #34 of 39 Hotels in Montauk
Coral Springs, Florida
“THE BEST PLACE FOR A REUNION”
Reviewed October 25, 2010

I organized a high school reunion which took place this past weekend. I cannot begin to tell you how thriled we were with the he location. I knew exactly what I was looking for....quaint, intimate and fun. Every person that attended told me that we picked the perfect location. Our original thought was to walk into town after the parties ended each evening. WE NEVER LEFT THE HOTEL. Everything we needed was right there. The food was excellent, outside area was cozy and comfortable, the firepit with smores made a great ending to the evening, the video screen was a perfect to show our montage, golf course was minutes away for those who wanted to play, the lounge was fun and the staff could not be any nicer. I would higly recommend Sole East/Beach for any type of group event. You won't be sorry.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
NY, NY
Reviewed October 12, 2010

We decided to stay at Sole East Beach during our one night trip to Montauk this summer. I was extremely pleased with the size of the room and the close location to the beach. Plenty of parking available as well. The bathrooms were a little outdated, but everything was clean. One of the nicer places to stay in Montauk.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
West Islip, New York
Reviewed October 8, 2010

As soon as I came out here the front desk people were really helpful. They upgraded my room because I told them it was my birthday and I was having a party there. They had Dave the owner/mgr come out who agreed to the upgrade even though the hotel was full. The lobby was setup like a very beachy surf-oriented environment. The surfboards actually had wax on them so it means they probably used them and they are not just for show.
They organized an outside dinner for me and all my friends all alone in the garden, fully serviced, and personalized to just me and my group. Service was amazing and the food was awesome.
It was one of the best birthdays I ever had. The DJ they had was awesome, we ended up having a dance party all night and even though we were wild the management/staff were totally cool.
Spent the next day eating poolside since they had service and drinks to the beds. Brought the food and drinks right to our beds.
Overall I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Montauk.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed September 26, 2010

All in all, this place is not the worst place I've ever stayed. But, it does not live up the expectations set by the website, which mostly has pictures of the Sole East, which is the sibling hotel to this place.

The Sole Beach is basically a dumpy beachside motel that had been given a new coat of paint and a duvet cover on the bed. The room itself was clean and the beds were okay. Although, the bedside lamp was rusted and not bright enough to read in bed. Plus, the room itself had a rather musty smell. But the bathroom is what really pushed it over the edge to unacceptable. The vanity area, toilet and shower looked as though they had not been updated since the 1960s. The toilet flushed only 50% of the time. One wall of the shower was made of some sort of plastic sheeting and the tiled parts were mildewed. The sink was rusted, mildewed and just generally appeared to have not been well cleaned in a long time.

The location itself was not too bad. It's across the street from the beach and walkable into town. Although, the website had given the impression that it was on the beach.

I will give the management props for their handling of the situation. When we requested to check out a day early, the management met our request and told us that they are planning to do further updates.

Overall, I get that Montauk is supposed to be laid back and I would probably not have had a problem with this hotel if it were $100 less per night. But at nearly $300 per night, I was expecting something a little more luxe (or at least with a decent bathroom and lighting). If you want to stay here, I would suggest asking if the place has been further renovated or making sure you're getting a good deal on the room.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Montauk hotels

New York City, New York
Reviewed September 22, 2010

I went to the Tom's shoe event in August at Sole East which was an amazing experience. I stayed for dinner with a couple of coworkers and the food was delicious with great music, we actually learned to Voli! That night I stayed at the rooms down the road with a few co-workers. The room was nicely decorated and extremely relaxing. The beach is across the road which was extremely convenient. I live only a few hours away, the essence my stay made this a fantastic night away.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
US
Reviewed August 30, 2010

The design and copy on the Web site portrays this place as a slick boutique hotel with cutting edge design, but in reality, it's a Nixon/Carter-era motel with a vaguely mod/minimalist coat of paint and some new furniture (including comfy beds). The rooms have been updated, though they're still just average overall. And the bathroom in ours didn't appear to have been updated much since Watergate. Cable TV and coffee maker in the room. That said, most of the other beach motels in town looked far shabbier, so it's all relative. A bartender in town asked us where we were staying and how much we paid and pronounced it a pretty good deal. We considered other motels nearby and were ultimately pretty happy we stayed where we did once we saw the neighboring properties. Location is hard to beat - can walk to the beach and town restaurants/bars/shops quickly. No pool, but wouldn't you rather take a dip in the great big ocean across the street?

A little puzzled by the knocks on the staff in other reviews. We found them to be helpful and knowledgeable, plus they were nice, mellow folks with personality. So if you're expecting business traveler hotel bellhop service with staffers falling over themselves to carry your bags, this is not the place for you. A couple of services they offer you should take advantage of. They'll give you a free ride to/from the train, in whatever random car they have available. They rent bikes too, and at better rates than the bike and surf shops in town.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Middletown, NJ
Reviewed August 4, 2010

Montauk great, Sole East Beach terrible. This is not to be confused with Sole East Resort which seems a little better (for even more money). I traveled with a group and all of us had complaints. The lock on the room doors not working, shower would instantly turn scalding, mediocre air conditioning in late July, rooms not clean, bathrooms not renovated since the '50s (toilet paper holder falling off wall), strange smell in rooms. But I'm leaving the worst for last, the attitude and service level of the staff. Terrible. Avoid this place at all costs.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple