“Watch out!!”

Ranked #34 of 39 Hotels in Montauk
Argentina
“Watch out!!”
Reviewed April 24, 2011

Completely overpriced, staff is horribly rude and the bathrooms are terrible.
We booked online for the other resort on 90 second st. And they sent us to this motel.
We paid a cheaper price online and charged us almost $100 more when arrived!
The heat didn't work and light bulbs either. Do NOT stay here!!

• Stayed April 2011
1 Thank Marielacs

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Newmarket, New Hampshire
Reviewed November 24, 2010

My fiance and I stayed her while visiting a friend. It was off season and the town was very quiet. The hotel is clearly an older one but has been nicely renovated. The rooms are a great size and very nicely appointment with modern furnishings and accents. The bathrooms are a throwback to the 60's but everything worked perfectly. The location is excellent. It is right across from the beach and there is ample parking. The staff was courteous and extraordinarily laid back, but this is a beach community and a nice change from the fast paced reality that most of us are part of. I would highly recommend staying here or up at the Sole East Resort property. Each are lovely and a great value.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Coral Springs, Florida
Reviewed October 25, 2010

I organized a high school reunion which took place this past weekend. I cannot begin to tell you how thriled we were with the he location. I knew exactly what I was looking for....quaint, intimate and fun. Every person that attended told me that we picked the perfect location. Our original thought was to walk into town after the parties ended each evening. WE NEVER LEFT THE HOTEL. Everything we needed was right there. The food was excellent, outside area was cozy and comfortable, the firepit with smores made a great ending to the evening, the video screen was a perfect to show our montage, golf course was minutes away for those who wanted to play, the lounge was fun and the staff could not be any nicer. I would higly recommend Sole East/Beach for any type of group event. You won't be sorry.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
NY, NY
Reviewed October 12, 2010

We decided to stay at Sole East Beach during our one night trip to Montauk this summer. I was extremely pleased with the size of the room and the close location to the beach. Plenty of parking available as well. The bathrooms were a little outdated, but everything was clean. One of the nicer places to stay in Montauk.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
West Islip, New York
Reviewed October 8, 2010

As soon as I came out here the front desk people were really helpful. They upgraded my room because I told them it was my birthday and I was having a party there. They had Dave the owner/mgr come out who agreed to the upgrade even though the hotel was full. The lobby was setup like a very beachy surf-oriented environment. The surfboards actually had wax on them so it means they probably used them and they are not just for show.
They organized an outside dinner for me and all my friends all alone in the garden, fully serviced, and personalized to just me and my group. Service was amazing and the food was awesome.
It was one of the best birthdays I ever had. The DJ they had was awesome, we ended up having a dance party all night and even though we were wild the management/staff were totally cool.
Spent the next day eating poolside since they had service and drinks to the beds. Brought the food and drinks right to our beds.
Overall I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Montauk.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed September 26, 2010

All in all, this place is not the worst place I've ever stayed. But, it does not live up the expectations set by the website, which mostly has pictures of the Sole East, which is the sibling hotel to this place.

The Sole Beach is basically a dumpy beachside motel that had been given a new coat of paint and a duvet cover on the bed. The room itself was clean and the beds were okay. Although, the bedside lamp was rusted and not bright enough to read in bed. Plus, the room itself had a rather musty smell. But the bathroom is what really pushed it over the edge to unacceptable. The vanity area, toilet and shower looked as though they had not been updated since the 1960s. The toilet flushed only 50% of the time. One wall of the shower was made of some sort of plastic sheeting and the tiled parts were mildewed. The sink was rusted, mildewed and just generally appeared to have not been well cleaned in a long time.

The location itself was not too bad. It's across the street from the beach and walkable into town. Although, the website had given the impression that it was on the beach.

I will give the management props for their handling of the situation. When we requested to check out a day early, the management met our request and told us that they are planning to do further updates.

Overall, I get that Montauk is supposed to be laid back and I would probably not have had a problem with this hotel if it were $100 less per night. But at nearly $300 per night, I was expecting something a little more luxe (or at least with a decent bathroom and lighting). If you want to stay here, I would suggest asking if the place has been further renovated or making sure you're getting a good deal on the room.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Montauk hotels

New York City, New York
Reviewed September 22, 2010

I went to the Tom's shoe event in August at Sole East which was an amazing experience. I stayed for dinner with a couple of coworkers and the food was delicious with great music, we actually learned to Voli! That night I stayed at the rooms down the road with a few co-workers. The room was nicely decorated and extremely relaxing. The beach is across the road which was extremely convenient. I live only a few hours away, the essence my stay made this a fantastic night away.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business