“A great place to have drink ,not to stay”
Review of The Surf Lodge

The Surf Lodge
Ranked #21 of 39 Hotels in Montauk
Reviewed September 5, 2012

The view from the room is very nice rooms are not worthing the money though.It is so over crowded during week end that it is difficult to move around A certainly great place to hang although not to stay.

Reviewed September 2, 2012

I had long anticipated a trip to this hipster spot, which looks amazing and peaceful on line. What we found was a completely over-crowded, run-down venue with an incredibly rude staff. Drinks were good, but the 20-30 minute wait for a round of over-priced drinks was only outdone by the hour-long-plus wait for a completely inadequate bathroom (bring your own Lysol). The lack of bathrooms resulted in people sneaking to the property fringes to relieve themselves - a classy spectical for those seeking a romantic or family-friendly experience. The shabby chic/beach-cool decor has interesting elements, but in totallity, the property is nothing more than an Ikea-inspired, early-Ian-Shragger wannabe that needs a thorough cleaning. The view of our friend's guest room was wonderful, other than the utility plant on the other side of the bay, but the room itself was less than minimalistic and also needed a good cleaning. We were happy we stayed elsewhere. If you are going to eat at Byron, try to sit on the outdoor patio, which is nice and protects you from the Hamptons frat party/circus in the outside bar/ beach. This is ground zero for those that desperately want to be cool and don't mind being treated like a farm animal in the process. Those looking for a great experience should look elsewhere and avoid the Surf Lodge.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Juan V
Reviewed August 7, 2012

I just spent the last weekend at Surf Lodge and had an amazing weekend. The place looks beautiful and different from anywhere else. Everything has been done for your comfort and pleasure. The design and details are taking you to an overall experience you won't forget. It feels like being somewhere else and helps to completely reconnect from the city.

Our room (like all of them I believe) had a stunning view on the lake. The inside of the room is very pretty and filled with lots of details making the decor very cozy summery and unique. The bathroom is very clean and modern, with a large wall of windows overlooking the lake. I was a bit concerned about the possible noise of the people coming to the restaurant and the evening event, but it was not an issue at all; we couldn’t hear anything.

The young staff is very helpful and available. The place has several amenities that I liked. We did some paddle boarding on the lake in front of the hotel and got bicycles to visit the area (dunes, fish markets, etc). I also surf so it was pretty convenient as Ditch Plains/Poles/Lighthouse (3 best surf spots in the area) are at a 10mn driving distance. I think there is also a fitness class on the deck by the lake in the morning but we didn’t try this one.

In the evening, we had friends over. Before dinner we had drinks on the deck and attended a great concert. The place was full but not too packed. I remember other times last year when it was very packed, but it seems this year management decided to limit the number of people so it stays comfortable. We had a big dinner at he restaurant, which was delicious and with great service.

Reviewed August 7, 2012

I stayed at the Surf Lodge last weekend and was completely blown away by the design, the service and the peaceful lake views that accompany each room.

I have been to the Surf Lodge several times for dinner or drinks, but it is a completely different experience to stay there. Right when you arrive, you feel welcome. You are greeted by the staff, giving you a personal key code to your room and daily activities around montauk (including the day's surf report!). Surfing is a big thing here (surf boards hang from the ceiling in the bar, classic surf movies play silently on a white screen in the lounge, and two brand new packages of surf board wax are placed on your pillows before you arrive).

We arrived late on Friday night, and wanted to relax in the room. The bartender sent us off with an ice bucket, bottle of local wine and 2 chilled glasses, which we enjoyed on our private terrace overlooking the lake. It is very peaceful and relaxing to just hang in the room, which is surprising quite and away from the noise of the restaurant and bar in the main house.

We had a terrific night's sleep in the huge king size comfy beds, which have plush white linens and tons pillows.

The next morning we had a delicious complementary breakfast in the restaurant, before heading out for the day to Ditch Plains to surf. The hotel is very conveniently located - only 5 minutes driving distance to one the best surfing beaches in Long Island.

At the end of our day, we headed back to enjoy a sunset drink on the deck of the outdoor bar, while taking in a free concert. It was the perfect end to a wonderful weekend before we returned to the city.

2  Thank heatherannetierney
Reviewed August 2, 2012

...after my first weekend (12 weeks ago), I am going every weekend I can. It is the only place where you think that you are on a island. You get from amazing food to a nice atmosphere the most relaxing weekend ever in ny.

The days are like paradise, paddle surfing on the lake, lounge music and nice people. The team is like a family, super nice and funny.

The night you get amazing food and dinner with always live music with a live act.

In few words...if you love lifestyle...chill...food and more....then it is the right place for you.

Enjoy!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank justlino
Reviewed July 31, 2012

We booked the hotel because it looked cool and had a lot to offer. Much to our surprise EVERYTHING is closed including the bar and retail shop on tuesday yet they charge the same room rate as other days. They should highlight this fact on their website.

• Stayed: July 2012
4  Thank LICanuck
Reviewed July 27, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for our first year anniversary at the end of June. After hearing a lot of mixed reviews we weren't sure how the stay was going to turn out. Our weekend at the surf lodge was one of the most pleasant I have ever had. The rooms are simple but fantastic and they have everything you need for a relaxing few days (including a hammock!!!!) My favourite thing about the room was waking up with the curtains open and being able to see the water, absolutely fab! On our first night we tried the new restaurant Byron. WOW! I had the calamari to start which was delicious, I wanted to order another one! Then I had the lobster roll. Again it was lovely, so fresh and simple but wonderful the same time. For dessert I had the banana bread. Get it. It is absolutely beautiful and to my delight when I was eating breakfast (included in the room) there was more banana bread waiting for me. Saturday night was crazy but not as bad as last year as the bar closes at 2 AM now. We really enjoyed the atmosphere by the deck and the sun set was beautiful. Abasolutely loved our stay here , friendly helpful staff, great vibes, music and food. What more could you ask for!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple