“Amazing place and atmosphere”
Review of The Surf Lodge

The Surf Lodge
Ranked #23 of 39 Hotels in Montauk
Reviewed August 7, 2012

I just spent the last weekend at Surf Lodge and had an amazing weekend. The place looks beautiful and different from anywhere else. Everything has been done for your comfort and pleasure. The design and details are taking you to an overall experience you won't forget. It feels like being somewhere else and helps to completely reconnect from the city.

Our room (like all of them I believe) had a stunning view on the lake. The inside of the room is very pretty and filled with lots of details making the decor very cozy summery and unique. The bathroom is very clean and modern, with a large wall of windows overlooking the lake. I was a bit concerned about the possible noise of the people coming to the restaurant and the evening event, but it was not an issue at all; we couldn’t hear anything.

The young staff is very helpful and available. The place has several amenities that I liked. We did some paddle boarding on the lake in front of the hotel and got bicycles to visit the area (dunes, fish markets, etc). I also surf so it was pretty convenient as Ditch Plains/Poles/Lighthouse (3 best surf spots in the area) are at a 10mn driving distance. I think there is also a fitness class on the deck by the lake in the morning but we didn’t try this one.

In the evening, we had friends over. Before dinner we had drinks on the deck and attended a great concert. The place was full but not too packed. I remember other times last year when it was very packed, but it seems this year management decided to limit the number of people so it stays comfortable. We had a big dinner at he restaurant, which was delicious and with great service.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 7, 2012

I stayed at the Surf Lodge last weekend and was completely blown away by the design, the service and the peaceful lake views that accompany each room.

I have been to the Surf Lodge several times for dinner or drinks, but it is a completely different experience to stay there. Right when you arrive, you feel welcome. You are greeted by the staff, giving you a personal key code to your room and daily activities around montauk (including the day's surf report!). Surfing is a big thing here (surf boards hang from the ceiling in the bar, classic surf movies play silently on a white screen in the lounge, and two brand new packages of surf board wax are placed on your pillows before you arrive).

We arrived late on Friday night, and wanted to relax in the room. The bartender sent us off with an ice bucket, bottle of local wine and 2 chilled glasses, which we enjoyed on our private terrace overlooking the lake. It is very peaceful and relaxing to just hang in the room, which is surprising quite and away from the noise of the restaurant and bar in the main house.

We had a terrific night's sleep in the huge king size comfy beds, which have plush white linens and tons pillows.

The next morning we had a delicious complementary breakfast in the restaurant, before heading out for the day to Ditch Plains to surf. The hotel is very conveniently located - only 5 minutes driving distance to one the best surfing beaches in Long Island.

At the end of our day, we headed back to enjoy a sunset drink on the deck of the outdoor bar, while taking in a free concert. It was the perfect end to a wonderful weekend before we returned to the city.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank heatherannetierney
Reviewed August 2, 2012

...after my first weekend (12 weeks ago), I am going every weekend I can. It is the only place where you think that you are on a island. You get from amazing food to a nice atmosphere the most relaxing weekend ever in ny.

The days are like paradise, paddle surfing on the lake, lounge music and nice people. The team is like a family, super nice and funny.

The night you get amazing food and dinner with always live music with a live act.

In few words...if you love lifestyle...chill...food and more....then it is the right place for you.

Enjoy!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank justlino
Reviewed July 31, 2012

We booked the hotel because it looked cool and had a lot to offer. Much to our surprise EVERYTHING is closed including the bar and retail shop on tuesday yet they charge the same room rate as other days. They should highlight this fact on their website.

• Stayed: July 2012
4  Thank LICanuck
Reviewed July 27, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for our first year anniversary at the end of June. After hearing a lot of mixed reviews we weren't sure how the stay was going to turn out. Our weekend at the surf lodge was one of the most pleasant I have ever had. The rooms are simple but fantastic and they have everything you need for a relaxing few days (including a hammock!!!!) My favourite thing about the room was waking up with the curtains open and being able to see the water, absolutely fab! On our first night we tried the new restaurant Byron. WOW! I had the calamari to start which was delicious, I wanted to order another one! Then I had the lobster roll. Again it was lovely, so fresh and simple but wonderful the same time. For dessert I had the banana bread. Get it. It is absolutely beautiful and to my delight when I was eating breakfast (included in the room) there was more banana bread waiting for me. Saturday night was crazy but not as bad as last year as the bar closes at 2 AM now. We really enjoyed the atmosphere by the deck and the sun set was beautiful. Abasolutely loved our stay here , friendly helpful staff, great vibes, music and food. What more could you ask for!

3  Thank Sarah R
Reviewed July 25, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay at the surflodge. staff was friendly, rooms were clean and I love love MTk. The one thing i think the hotel can improve is that if you happen to arrive late like we did on a weds at midnight you should let them know as the hotel front desk was closed so it took us a while to figure it out where the keys were. We had a great 3 days and for sure would go back. I am surprised about all the negative posts as this is a simple cute beach side hotel. good service, really nice food and athmosphere. it reminds me of home in spain. we loved it.

Room Tip: i would stay away from room # 1. too close to the road. we asked to move rooms in the morning and go...
1  Thank Marronesa
Reviewed June 16, 2012

I've stayed at Relaix & Chateau properties, The Ocean Club Paradise Island and funky beach spots for $40. on the beach in Jamaica. The setting and aesthetics of this "surf lodge" are nice but that is the only positive. I have never in my life experienced a more arrogant, self absorbed, clueless, rude staff at any hotel in my life. I get better treatment at Motel 6. My girlfriend and I were flabbergasted by the disgusting attitude of this staff that are 20 something, elitist, pothead, hipster wanna-be's. This is definitely a place to go to if you want to pay $275. for a broken down room with paper thin walls and the feeling of "as a guest you are invisible and entirely un-important." Hostess has obviously never worked in a hotel or been fired from anywhere else. Can't get a drink at 4pm from the 2 bars but the staff is slugging back shots in front of you laughing. When the bar finally decides to do you the favor of opening you pay $14. for a margarita in a tiny plastic cup and they tack on 20% gratuity for themselves. They don't bother at check in to tell you that there is a "sort of" breakfast available (berries and granola, coffee and TANG!) The Janis Joplin wanna-be hostess wearing sunglasses indoors on a rainy day is unable to put a "potential" guest on hold for 5 seconds while you stand there in front of her for 10 minutes wondering if there is breakfast available (hard to tell because the dishwashers come out of the kitchen and eat the food in front of the guests in their kitchen whites like animals. The paying guest in front of you is more important than a "potential" guest on the phone - it is called a HOLD button. When the hostess finally hangs up she acts as if we are inconveniencing her for asking if breakfast is included. This is while we were the only 2 people there and being completely ignored. I'm low maintenance but never in my life have had such a blatantly discourteous and unexpectedly dismissive treatment at any hotel ever. The staff at this hotel acts completely as though they are above and more important than the guests. A joke of a hotel. You couldn't pay me to go back. Plus not near the beach and no real surfers just some broken down hippie chic furniture. It takes more than a groovy Dick Dale soundtrack to make a hotel operate properly and these people seem like a bunch of rich brats who inherited a hotel and never worked a real job in their lives. Utter Disaster.

15  Thank Regalbeagle68