“Don't come on Tuesdays!”
Review of The Surf Lodge

The Surf Lodge
Ranked #22 of 39 Hotels in Montauk
Reviewed July 31, 2012

We booked the hotel because it looked cool and had a lot to offer. Much to our surprise EVERYTHING is closed including the bar and retail shop on tuesday yet they charge the same room rate as other days. They should highlight this fact on their website.

• Stayed: July 2012
4  Thank LICanuck
There are newer reviews for The Surf Lodge

Reviewed July 27, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for our first year anniversary at the end of June. After hearing a lot of mixed reviews we weren't sure how the stay was going to turn out. Our weekend at the surf lodge was one of the most pleasant I have ever had. The rooms are simple but fantastic and they have everything you need for a relaxing few days (including a hammock!!!!) My favourite thing about the room was waking up with the curtains open and being able to see the water, absolutely fab! On our first night we tried the new restaurant Byron. WOW! I had the calamari to start which was delicious, I wanted to order another one! Then I had the lobster roll. Again it was lovely, so fresh and simple but wonderful the same time. For dessert I had the banana bread. Get it. It is absolutely beautiful and to my delight when I was eating breakfast (included in the room) there was more banana bread waiting for me. Saturday night was crazy but not as bad as last year as the bar closes at 2 AM now. We really enjoyed the atmosphere by the deck and the sun set was beautiful. Abasolutely loved our stay here , friendly helpful staff, great vibes, music and food. What more could you ask for!

3  Thank Sarah R
Reviewed July 25, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay at the surflodge. staff was friendly, rooms were clean and I love love MTk. The one thing i think the hotel can improve is that if you happen to arrive late like we did on a weds at midnight you should let them know as the hotel front desk was closed so it took us a while to figure it out where the keys were. We had a great 3 days and for sure would go back. I am surprised about all the negative posts as this is a simple cute beach side hotel. good service, really nice food and athmosphere. it reminds me of home in spain. we loved it.

Room Tip: i would stay away from room # 1. too close to the road. we asked to move rooms in the morning and go...
1  Thank Marronesa
Reviewed June 16, 2012

I've stayed at Relaix & Chateau properties, The Ocean Club Paradise Island and funky beach spots for $40. on the beach in Jamaica. The setting and aesthetics of this "surf lodge" are nice but that is the only positive. I have never in my life experienced a more arrogant, self absorbed, clueless, rude staff at any hotel in my life. I get better treatment at Motel 6. My girlfriend and I were flabbergasted by the disgusting attitude of this staff that are 20 something, elitist, pothead, hipster wanna-be's. This is definitely a place to go to if you want to pay $275. for a broken down room with paper thin walls and the feeling of "as a guest you are invisible and entirely un-important." Hostess has obviously never worked in a hotel or been fired from anywhere else. Can't get a drink at 4pm from the 2 bars but the staff is slugging back shots in front of you laughing. When the bar finally decides to do you the favor of opening you pay $14. for a margarita in a tiny plastic cup and they tack on 20% gratuity for themselves. They don't bother at check in to tell you that there is a "sort of" breakfast available (berries and granola, coffee and TANG!) The Janis Joplin wanna-be hostess wearing sunglasses indoors on a rainy day is unable to put a "potential" guest on hold for 5 seconds while you stand there in front of her for 10 minutes wondering if there is breakfast available (hard to tell because the dishwashers come out of the kitchen and eat the food in front of the guests in their kitchen whites like animals. The paying guest in front of you is more important than a "potential" guest on the phone - it is called a HOLD button. When the hostess finally hangs up she acts as if we are inconveniencing her for asking if breakfast is included. This is while we were the only 2 people there and being completely ignored. I'm low maintenance but never in my life have had such a blatantly discourteous and unexpectedly dismissive treatment at any hotel ever. The staff at this hotel acts completely as though they are above and more important than the guests. A joke of a hotel. You couldn't pay me to go back. Plus not near the beach and no real surfers just some broken down hippie chic furniture. It takes more than a groovy Dick Dale soundtrack to make a hotel operate properly and these people seem like a bunch of rich brats who inherited a hotel and never worked a real job in their lives. Utter Disaster.

15  Thank Regalbeagle68
Reviewed June 11, 2012

The Surf Lodge rooms were exactly as pictured - we stayed in room 19 on the second floor (two queen room) for two nights. It was spacious with a little kitchen area and a balcony with two chairs and a hammock over looking the pond. The Surf Lodge is pet friendly (for $100 per stay) and they also allow them over in the sand pit area, which we didn't do, but the hotel kindly informed us of. Parking on Saturday evening, of course, was a bit of a nightmare, but you are provided with a parking pass so they'll allow you back into the parking lot, and the attendants help you find a "space."

The restaurant on site, Byron, has a lot of hype and overall was pretty good but a bit overpriced. For brunch try the french toast, for dinner the stuffed lobster and endless summer cocktail. Note that sitting outside at night gets chilly, but they do have a limited number of blankets on hand.

Can't say much about the beaches in Montauk as we kept commuting back to Bridgehampton to go to Sag Main Beach where the pups are allowed until July 1st (and we have a parking pass). The beach there has beautiful clear blue water right now (much nicer than last summer).

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank petfriendlytravels
Reviewed September 12, 2011

the room was dirty, the facilities tired and worn and the mabulance carting out a passed out drunk sunday morning an added addition

Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
9  Thank frequenttravelusa
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We decided to go to Montauk at the last minute this past weekend and found a room at the Surf Lodge. Conveniently located within walking distance of the train, we go to the hotel and checked in. The rooms are awesome. We walked in and found a reasonably sized room with an efficiency kitchen. The bed faced sliding glass doors that look out onto the large pond. Open the doors and you have a small balcony with a hammock.
After checking in we rented two stand up paddle boards from the hotel and jumped right in the water.
We enjoyed our stay and would definitely go back.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple