“Damn, lots of fun”

Ranked #22 of 39 Hotels in Montauk
new york
“Damn, lots of fun”
Reviewed July 15, 2011

Did a weekend with my girl and felt like I was a kid again. This place was super fun and hip. Rooms were a little on the small side but a great palce to chill away from the crowd. I will try to make this a place I visit every summer. We needed a cab to get into town but were able to one easily with the help of security guy named Roger. Very cool and funny guy hope he is there next time. you go brother.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank compucombo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Reviewed July 11, 2011

I have to admit I was a little worried based on the reviews below but my weekend at The Surf Lodge was perfect! The hotel is just super cute and there is always something going on. When we arrived on Friday the weather was overcast and about to rain so we took the time to get settled in the hotel, check out the restaurant, bar and the adorable little boutique that was there. Lucy, who was working in the shop, was just so personable and sweet.

Friday night we went ate the in the restaurant and the food was delicious! The scene was young and fun. I ordered the burger and it was perfect. We had a few drinks at the bar that night but it started to pour and we headed back to the room.

Saturday was just a perfect day. We woke up early and headed out to the beach. After spending most of the day at the beach we went back to the hotel and sat on our balcony and hung out there while we had some drinks. The hammock was great and just very relaxing. We went down to the bar and sat outside while we had some drinks. They were getting set up for the night but there was a good crowd, weather was great and drinks were cold.

We then decided to head over to Rushmeyer's for dinner and drinks. That was equally as good and enjoyable as Surf Lodge.

The overall experience was great. We were excited for a low key, chill weekend out of the city and we got it! I cannot wait to go back to Surf Lodge and Rushmeyer's again this summer. It was everything I hoped it would be.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mariss57
Rumson, New Jersey
Reviewed May 23, 2011

I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone no matter what you're looking for. Everyone I dealt with here was downright rude. On top of that, they are extremely unorganized and unprofessional. I almost think they try to make their customers feel uncomfortable just to make a point that they can do that and get away with it.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank njshore35

Travelers are raving about these Montauk hotels

Reviewed May 19, 2011

Our room smelled like a sewer, the bed was filthy, the room needed painting. When I complained to the manager I received a perfunctory reply that did not address the problem, it is my opinion that no one [cares]. The staff is too cool to even bother to talk to us. The Surf lodge is a nightclub with rooms for drunk folks to sleep. Stay away from this place. The music was blasting at 4am.

Room Tip: as far away from the loud bar.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank PamG6
Reviewed September 5, 2010

I caught a cancellation over Hurricane Earl Labor Day weekend and jumped on it. Only after booking my stay did I start reading the "Amityville In The Hamptons" reviews that were piling up here. Digging down a bit, I found a lot of glowing reviews too. Oddly polar. And puzzling.

Ultimately, how much you'll like Surf Lodge depends a lot on who you are. If you ever enjoyed an Ace Hotel or Sunset Beach or Schrager joint, you're probably going to really love it. If you prefer the fastidious surround and napkin-folding-into-swan personal attention of a Four Seasons, this isn't for you.

First the rooms. Awesome. Not huge. But well appointed. Hard-woods. River rock shower floors. Uber hip. With a bed facing a double sliding glass door that leads to a sun deck literally inches off Fort Pond. Everything clean and neat. Nice fluffy towels. Frette linens. Malin + Goetz toiletries. If you can schlep a few beach chairs, unhook the hammock, set them up on your sun deck and get your drink on. Awesome. Chill. Surprisingly quiet. Never heard a peep from the neighbors. One tip: As for the rooms on the end (1 -5) and you'll be pleasantly out of the earshot of the weekend zoo that accumulates in the lobby. Bugs? We found a few beetles in the bathroom. Nothing to get worked up about. You're literally right on a lake. Just keep your screen doors shut and you'll be fine.

The staff. A transient culture of friendly surfer-types who work to feed their wave habit. Not necessarily top-shelf pros in the hospitality business. But nice. Helpful. Fun. All that. Again, if you need an attentive trail of suck-ups, this isn't your hotel.

Restaurant? Great. Had a crab, popcorn and blueberry ceviche. Odd. But it worked. Fish was good. If you've only got one dinner to burn in Montauk, I'd go with Harvest. But apart from that, definitely worth a visit. Opens at 5. Get there early and skip the crowds on weekends.

Continental breakfast? Pretty much just coffee and croissants. My recco? Get your coffee. Wake up. And take the short (10 minute) walk to town to have breakfast at Joni's .

The late-night bar scene? Couldn't say. We steered clear. Mixed ourselves Ketel/soda's and watched the sun set over Fort Pond. Which is what I'd strongly reccomend. I gather a lot of the negative press Surf Lodge gets is from the Land Rover/Beemer set that descends on the bar on weekends. Not my cup of tea either. But the brilliant part of Surf Lodge is that it's designed to let you choose your own path. The room is a great place to chill. The location is close to town. The views are great. It's noveau surf. Casual. But sleek. But always relaxed.

I read that the bad reviews were a well-organized tyranny by locals trying to "Karl-Rove" this place. I hope that's not true. It's well conceived and well executed. I'll definitely re-visit.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
8 Thank markkoelfgen
Reviewed August 24, 2010

The core competency of The Surf Lodge is deception. The hotel looks much bigger and more attractive online than it really is. We stayed there this past weekend and were very disappointed. Going into it we knew this was a no frills option and opted to give it a shot due to the location and strong social scene. Honesty you don’t need to stay here for this! We weren’t expecting the Four Seasons but thought standards would be at least up to a moderate chain like Hilton. While the restaurant was better than expected (we had very low expectations) and the relaxed bar scene fun, the hotel was dismal. I’m very familiar with Hamptons hotel prices but this place takes the cake – when paying over $350 a night I expect cleanliness, fresh towels, a working TV and phone… none were on offer.

The staff, while friendly, is definitely hired more for their looks (hipster surf vibe) than any real talent. The girl checking us in had the rate wrong. When we got to the room we found the iPod speaker was broken and the towels were stained. There are no phones in the rooms which wouldn’t be an issue except that we had no way to call the reception and ask about the towels – calling the main number on my cell phone was pointless… just goes to voicemail. Several small things over the course of the weekend added up – no cable just basic TV, waiting for ever for someone to fix a broken toilet (clearly the staff was more concerned about the bar crowd) and awful service at breakfast are examples. The hotel provides a limited continental breakfast (coffee, juice, croissants, fruit and yogurt) but on both mornings we had to ask repeatedly for napkins, glasses and plates. Every though it was the weekend, the beach shuttle service was not operational.

In short if you’re going to The Surf Lodge for dinner and would prefer not to drive home and don’t mind spending $350 for a motel, this is the spot for you. I wouldn’t recommend this to anyone used to better quality hotels – guidebooks that list The Surf Lodge as ‘luxury’ are very much misguided.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank Opinion001
Long Beach, New York
Reviewed August 10, 2010

please dont add to the epidemic of hamptonites coming to ruin montauk

you want real montauk stay somewhere else.

and dont tell anyone in town you are staying at the surf lodge if you dont want bad looks and an earful of how you're part of the problem!

besides that its actualy not worth the money. this is the old lakeside lodge.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends