“Not bad”

Cuisines: Sushi, Italian, Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed September 7, 2012

We ate there by the bar on the TUESDAY NIGHT BEACH CONCERT SERIES. Was suppose to be Reggae but the band with the Mick Jagger look a like was VERY good. The service by the bar was very slow. The portions were large and good.

Reviewed September 2, 2012

We made a late reservation for 9:45 on Saturday night via Open Table. We were happy to be accommodated at that time. The 4 of us were quickly sat in a nice booth that looked out to the window/water. The restaurant was winding down and tables seemed to be wrapping up their meals. We waited a substantial amount of time before our waiter approached us. In that time, we did notice the crayons in our booth seat, numerous drawings ripped out from a coloring book scattered on the booth, and trays of dirty dishes and glasses. A bus person stood nearby drinking out of a paper coffee cup in the middle of the dining room. Our waiter greeted us in a friendly manner, asking if we'd like drinks to start. We hadn't made beverage decisions yet, so he said he'd come back and asked a bus person for bread and water for his friends (us). We ended up choosing a corona, a flirtini, a bottle of Cali Sauvignon blanc, and a Vesper martini. All but the wine (and no wine glasses either) were brought over about 8 min later by a woman who was not our server. The drinks were auctioned off, as she did not know whose was whose. The vesper martini was spilled a little on our table upon delivery. Flirtini tasted as if it were made of cheap vodka and it went un-drank. Nobody questioned this or offered an alternative. Our waiter came back and asked if anyone took our order (we were curious who else other than our waiter would have taken our order). No specials were mentioned, if there were any. We ordered a Caesar salad, a crab cake, and tomato mozzarella salad for apps. For dinner, we ordered the cioppino, chicken Milanese, penne alla vodka, and goat cheese ravioli. Ordering seemed like a game of Memory for the server, as he pointed at each of us repeating our orders - it was strange.. A minute or two later, the waiter reappeared to tell us the wine requested was not available. No glasses were delivered at this time, and there was no question as to how many were required. We chose the Chilean Sauvignon blanc instead, upon our waiters recommendation. While 3 of us had drinks for 10 or 12 minutes already, the wine finally arrived (no glasses yet). He re-appeared with 4 glasses although just 2 were drinking, a minute or so later. It was poured for my tasting and I kindly disapproved. I decided I'd give it more of a shot, however and did not immediately insist on anything else, (an alternative was not exactly offered) as it was noted that this was the only Sauvignon blanc available that evening, of the 3-4 on the menu. I decided I didn't like it after all, but we kept it for the others at the table as they didn't mind it. I ordered a bottle of prosecco instead to share with one of my friends. The waiter asked if I wanted the champagne, and I repeated that I wanted the prosecco. It appeared to me that he was not fully aware of the difference in sparkling wines. Our apps appeared soon after. The Caesar was a nice portion and tasty. The crab cake was also enjoyed. The tomato mozzarella was a decent presentation however the tomatoes were not impressive, and the cheese itself was nothing to be spoken for. We were not offered any fresh pepper, so we helped ourselves to a nearby grinder. The prosecco arrived at some point during the appetizers, and it was delicious and cold (mionetto). The bottle of sauv blanc was removed and noted it would be taken off the bill, although one of my friends was actually drinking it, because we felt guilty returning it. Before we could finish our apps, dinner was served. Our waiter questioned the food runner as to why they brought dinner out, and the runner said it was because he wanted to ensure we were being served. My suspicion is that the kitchen staff were eager to leave for the night. We came late in the evening but when you're paying premium prices, you expect a certain return. .. The existing plates were not cleared, the table was not crumbed. Dinner, like drinks and apps, was also auctioned off as they were unsure whose was whose. A busser came by to refill our waters. A dj began playing and the music was an appropriate/enjoyable volume. Our waiter came by to ask how dinner was. We said all was fine. No grated cheese was offered for any of the 4 dishes- each of which could have benefitted from a spoonful of Parmesan. The cioppino was not impressive as far as taste, however portion size was substantial. The chicken Milanese - no complaints. Goat cheese ravioli didn't taste like goat cheese but was creamy, decent portion size, and tasty enough. Penne was also a nice sized portion, and was tasty. We asked for dirty plates to be removed, which was strange as we were practically the only table left in the restaurant, and staff were abundant and walking about cleaning up various things. Upon completion of dinner, we were offered dessert menus. The dessert menu was very extensive (20 or so items) however they were out of a couple, as the woman who'd dropped our drinks off had noted. We ordered 3 double espressos and the NY cheesecake. All arrived shortly after. We were given 2 pieces of cake because one of them was a bit small. They looked actually of a decent size to us, however, but we accepted the kind gesture. The waiter offered us sambuca. We accepted, and he brought over the bottle and poured it directly into our cups. I requested just a drop, another of my guests wanted a standard amount, and the other having espresso declined. We found it strange that it didn't arrive in a snifter with coffee beans. It appeared on our bill for $10. The total bill was dropped off shortly after, which was $260. We are happy to pay for a nice dinner, especially at a beautiful waterfront location such as Gurney's. However, we felt the service did not match the cost. It continuously felt disorganized, rushed, and unknowlegeable. Our waiter was never rude, he was outgoing and all smiles, and did make conversation with us - which we appreciated. But at that point in the evening, it became a moot point. We would come back but not for the service. The view is beautiful and the restaurant itself was pretty nice. We'd like to have drinks on the deck and perhaps some light apps, but don't feel that spending $312 (including tip) was necessary here.

Reviewed August 21, 2012

I have been here a myriad of times, and the experience is always to be determined by visit..
I have had some not so good, some o'kay, and one or two pretty good one's. I am a part time resident, and still come here on occasion..

Reviewed August 18, 2012

Fish and chips were delicious. The lobster roll is really big but the bisque soup is very small. Both very yummy. Pink lemonade is tasty and beer nice and cold. Reasonable price. Bizarrely they have no straws???

Reviewed August 17, 2012

Great views nice setting food is overcooked, clam chowder is like from Campbell can, waiters don't know much about food or choices they serve. Come for drinks snacks and views but not for food.