“old world charm”

Ranked #2 of 2 Monroe B&B and Inns
Brooklyn, New York, United States
“old world charm”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

please do not bring it too far into the 21st century. The place has character and the surroundings are magnificent. It reminded me of little hotels in Europe (definitely with the cats)
Absolutely recommend it to my friends.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Anna Z
Carol D, General Manager at Arrow Park, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thank you for your great review. We truelly appreciate it when a guest takes the time to give us a good review. We are so happy you enjoyed your stay here with us and hope to see you again.
Carol Davino

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Holbrook, New York
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Upon arrival, and driving down the long tree lined driveway, I began to think that my wife and I had made the right decision, but then we arrived at the "lodge" we quickly realized that our decision was a bad one. The building looked like a run down maintenance building with bars on the rear windows and upon trying to park in a very small rear p/lot we were greeted by a litter of feral, stray cats which are apparently being fed by the lodge people. I love animals, and this is not what I want to see when arriving at a "resort lodge". Gives you a kinda dumpy feeling about the place. Upon entering the building, there was a small piece of paper on a small desk telling you where to go to check in which was upstairs. The check in office/room appeared disorganized and unprofessional looking. The building itself had old style character but appeared to be a little dark and creepy. We had booked the lakeview king bed room which I will say was very clean and neat and the bed was comfortable but had no TV (no rooms do) and it took a while for the water to get hot, which was not a big deal. Don't buy into the beach by the lake thing,..there is no beach, just, what appeared to be, a sand covered lot with no beach bar or open snack bar. Row boats looked old and the one and only paddle boat did not look any better. Broken basketball hoop, cement ping-pong table that looked like it would fall over any second and volley ball net on bumpy asphalt was no better. Nothing appeared to be maintained at all. Lake swimming area was not very appealing. The main building has a well equipped kitchen but nothing gets cooked..thought breakfast would be in there, but there was no breakfast, only a VERY LIMITED continental breakfast was offered in the dining room. The exterior of the building looked like it hadn't been maintained in decades....chipping paint, dirty wall surfaces, old faulty lighting fixtures, old unmaintained outdoor furniture and weeds throughout. The pictures they show on the website are deceiving...they deceived us. I WILL say that the employees were nice and helpful and its not their fault about how the place looks. A full million dollar makeover, and this place is the jewel of upstate New York...but short of that....total letdown. P.S. our original reservation was for two nights....we left after the first night even knowing that we would lose our money for the second night....couldn't leave quick enough...nuff said.

Room Tip: wouldn't advise staying but if anything, choose lakeside king bedroom...make sure you have your...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Leonard G
Carol D, General Manager at Arrow Park, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are a new to the market and strive everyday to bring our Lodge to a higher level for our guest satisfaction. Our mansion was built in 1909 and we trying to bring her into the 21st century. We have added air conditioning to our rooms.
We encourage potential guests to check our website before visiting as we are a unique property. We have 12 sleeping rooms with 6 rooms that share a bathroom.
Call us direct to get a full description as we want all our guest to have a great experience and know what we are all about.
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

While the park and lodge are very quaint. There were far to many things that should have told us this was a mistake. First was the lack of appropriate parking, then it was a search to find the office, neither was easly. Then came the tour of the house and history, which was impressive. Finally we got to the room.... large beautiful room, no TV(not a big deal), no AC(big deal) especially with it being 80+ degrees there. We asked for and got a fan, vintage is what I called it. The fan lasted 5 minites and broke, we lasted another 20 minutes after hearing they had no others. The night manager was polite and even helped get us into a hotel. He indicated the day manager would call the next day (did not happen!) This was a groupon and the second one we've used to a none standard lodging source. All we can say is NO more groupons to alternate lodging. Experiences have NOT been good.

• Stayed July 2013
Carol D, General Manager at Arrow Park, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Thank you for your review, it is your feedback that helps us improve our property. We have installed air conditioners and we take steps everyday to improve our bed and breakfast for our guests. Please try us again, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
Summit, New Jersey
Reviewed July 3, 2013

The Arrow Park lodge was designed and built around 1900, As we drove through the gates and down a long driveway surrounded by trees I knew we had found a special place. The architecture of the lodge is quite unique and I felt I was in a 1920's mansion. My favorite room is the sun porch, off of the dining room, the view was endless, and while we danced, we felt we were the only people in the lodge. We went hiking along the Arrow trail and found a magnificent waterfall. There were several families there, a single guest, mother and daughter, and somehow it all worked and was still very romantic for us. I am already looking forward to plan our next visit.

Room Tip: Room 10, has a 20 foot high bathroom ceiling with a skylight, which always let in the natural light...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Meljoy52
Carol D, General Manager at Arrow Park, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you for your great review! We hope you visit us again in the near future.
New York
Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

Room was not what was shown.
It is not "beachfront" there was no lifeguard and was told to go in lake anyway but after walking down to the lake...the uncleanliness of the area was uncomfortable. The "beach" was chained off.... If you want shades in your room...good luck. There were none in a king suite and you could see right into your neighbors room. They placed an incorrect charge (a $225 accident) and I was told they would cancel it an it was a mistake. Never happened. Had to go to bank to dispute charges. This place is very unprofessional. I would not suggest it at all!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Nyjamiepd
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Arrow Park does have a lovely setting, that is not an issue. We did enjoy one of the hiking trails, stopping to enjoy a small waterfall. Despite advertising a "beach", we were not able to swim in the lake. We understand there not being a lifeguard on duty, but one section was locked off and the other was so small that there would be no point going in the water.
The lodge itself really could be great, but it just seemed very unfinished. Our room had a very nice view, but there were just some little things that made it seem like it was still under construction. There was a lamp on the dresser that did not work... Because it wasn't plugged in due to there not being an outlet. The ceiling fan did have a light, so we weren't totally in the dark. The room did seem a little bare. On the website you see these gorgeously decorated rooms and then we open the door to an almost plain room. There were two painting on the wall, one of which I actually did like a lot. The bathroom was cute but getting a decent temperature out of the shower was a bit of a challenge. Wasn't a huge problem since it was an older style fixture and I am sure the pipes are older. My girlfriend did have a problem with there not being any blinds or curtains. Yes we are out in the woods, but we'd still like some privacy when changing and showering. The bed was pretty comfortable but if you're not one for super soft pillows, you might want to bring one.
I would still say we're doing okay so far. But here's where it takes a turn. We had stayed with a Groupon offer, which was a very nice savings. Having been a travel agent for over a decade, I have been a lot of places and I was a bit surprised to hear the non-discounted rates for Arrow Park. It is a nice place (but could be much better if polished up), but at almost $300 a night for very little, that's a bit of a shock. We had to pay local taxes but we weren't given a receipt. I didn't think much of it but my girlfriend did say something to the effect of, I hope they don't screw up and charge my card again. Well, upon checkout, her card was charged for over $200. We immediately called the lodge and were told that this was an error and they would call the bank right away to take care of this. It is now a week later when I am writing this and it still has not been rectified. I called a few times, one number goes to a number that is unidentified as the lodge or even a person (which I think is pretty unprofessional), and the other number has been busy often. I emailed the lodge and still have yet to hear back. My girlfriend has called and emailed as well as has gotten the same results. It is just super unprofessional to not get back to clients in the first place, but even more so when you take someone's money in error. My go has disputed the charge with the bank, so hopefully we will have an end to this matter soon.
I am not saying this is a bad place to stay, I am just saying it does need slight improvement to polish it up and make it great (and worth the cost). I mentioned the money stuff because others should be aware of it. In these days, every dollar counts and having a couple hundred dollars in limbo does affect people. We were thinking about going again, but I think this situation has tainted that idea totally.

Room Tip: There are some excellent areas to hike surrounding the lodge. We had an excellent hike in the Walki...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MikeK413
Carol D, General Manager at Arrow Park, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you for submitting your review. We appreciate your feedback and are improving our property everyday. We have installed curtains and training the staff to correctly charge credit cards. We hope you will stay with us again and see all the improvements to our property!
New York
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Room was not what was shown.

• Stayed June 2013
3 Thank Nyjamiepd
Carol D, General Manager at Arrow Park, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
We are very sorry for your unpleasant stay and we appreciate your feedback. We have installed curtains and the beach is open for business. We hope you will give us a second chance and see the improvements we have made.
Carol Davino
Also consider these accommodations in or near Monroe
Hampton Inn Harriman Woodbury
The Thayer Hotel
The Thayer Hotel
#1 of 1 in West Point
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Peekskill - Hudson Valley

Been to Arrow Park? Share your experiences!