Buttermilk Falls Inn & Spa
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Poughkeepsie Inn(Poughkeepsie)
View Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Poughkeepsie(Poughkeepsie)
Mercury Grand Hotel(Poughkeepsie)
Vassar Alumnae House(Poughkeepsie)
View Hotel
All reviewsthe main househudson riverfarm to tablegas fireplacesauna and steam roombreakfast and afternoon teagrounds are gorgeousworking fireplacesweet basilrelaxing weekendonsite restaurantindoor poolliving roombreakfast was deliciousfull kitchennorth cottageculinary institute of america
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 7, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed with another couple in the Gindele Suite for New Years Eve. The property was beautiful and well-kept. We had no issues with parking and the staff was extremely friendly and accommodating throughout our stay.

The Gindele Suite was sizable with basically anything you'd need-- kitchen tools and applicances, large sitting room, nice bathroom. My boyfriend and I were sleeping on the sleeper couch in the sunroom while the other couple had the master bedroom. This sleeper couch may have been the worst I've ever stayed on. My boyfriend and I are both small people and we felt like we might fall through the middle of the bed during the night. Management desperately needs to get a new mattress for this bed. The couches in the living room were fine too, but could use an updating as well.

We had dinner at Henry's, it was okay. The food was fine, I didn't love my dish but others enjoyed their food. The service was great though.

My favorite part of our stay was the breakfast. Great choice of juices, pastries, and many menu items to choose from.

We also loved the massages at the spa. The spa itself could use some updating (the locker rooms were tiny) but we enjoyed our services. Since its such a romantic inn, I think a couples massage room would be a great addition to the spa.

Overall, other than not getting quality sleep for two nights, we enjoyed our time at Buttermilk Inn and would definitely go back.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Rachel W
Reviewed January 7, 2014

We rented a lovely house on the property for our 50th Wedding Anniversary. The house had 5 bedrooms, each with it's own bathroom. So gorgeous, and the views were amazing. The property also had a farm with Llamas, goats, sheet, a peacock..all which my grandaughters just loved.

Breakfast was served each morning in the Inn and it was outstanding, All baked goods are prepared by the bakery chef. Choices of frittatas, omlets, pancakes, waffles as well as a buffet of lox, salads etc...were served each morning.

The spa was so special. Five of us took part, and we all LOVED IT.

My children planned a dinner party for 25 people on Saturday evening in the Inn diningroom. The food was outstanding, ambience was lovely.

We couldn't ask for a nicer celebration for our 50th. Having family together was just perfection in a setting that was amazing.

Room Tip: Private rental homes are the way to go. Can not comment on the rooms in the Inn.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
buttermilkfalls, General Manager at Buttermilk Falls Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2014

Dear upupandawaygrammy,

Thank you for sharing your positive experience with the Tripadvisor community! Feedback like yours reminds us what this is all about and why we in the Hospitality Industry do what we do. A special anniversary or other celebration is meant to be memorable and everything you so wonderfully described.

I am so happy to hear that our staff and service provided an amazing experience and that your special anniversary was all you had hoped. Our team strives to ensure our guests enjoy all our property has to offer and feedback like yours is very appreciated.

Congratulations and we hope to see you and your family for the 51st!

Best,
CJ Hartwell

Reviewed January 6, 2014

I was really excited to stay here, but when we arrived, the woman at the desk took us to a room that was about 5 feet from the kitchen. So, each morning, we would wake up at 6 am to the clanging of pots and pans and dishes as they set up. The room itself was fine, but the walls were so thin, we could hear every person who walked by, every dish that was set on a countertop, every time someone got up from a chair. It was terrible. We complained and they didn't really try to help, but to be fair there was nothing they could do. Overall, the room we stayed in should not be rented out as a guest room given the feeling that you're sleeping in the kitchen and the lack of privacy. The massage I got at the spa was pretty good, and the meal at Henry's was

Room Tip: Don't stay in Foxglove - it's basically in the kitchen.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank amysho

Dear amysho,

I am sorry that you were unhappy with your stay at our Historic Inn. Foxglove is one of our rooms that was renovated from the original 1764 Anning Smith House. In order to keep some of the charm and history, we did save some of the original structural architecture during renovations including the original door and hand hewn beams that you may have noticed in the hall to your room. It's location is close to the kitchen and breakfast area, but we do have sound proof doors that are closed for this reason. I will personally remind our early morning team of the importance that these doors be closed while they prepare our farm fresh breakfast each morning. Many guests have stayed in that room with no issue and have complimented on its charm and preservation of the original House. Aside from the structural items you brought up in your review, I'm not sure what brought the service you received to became 'terrible'. It would be very helpful for me if you could share some additional information on where our staff fell short of your expectations. I am happy to hear that you were able to enjoy your massage as well as dinner at our restaurant Henry's at the Farm.
Please feel free to reach out to me directly with further feedback so we can be sure that we don't miss the mark in the future.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback on your stay and I hope you would consider trying us again, possibly in one of our carriage houses which are stand alone buildings away from the main inn.

Best,
CJ Hartwell
info@buttermilkfallsinn.com

Reviewed January 4, 2014

My husband and I decided to give this place another chance. This time we stayed in the Grand Laurel. The room is very spacious, has a lovely fire place, four poster bed and views of the lake. I noticed the management have placed a sign on the entry doors to the guest quarters asking people to be quiet - and I didn't hear a peep even though it was New Year's Eve. The facility and grounds are really lovely, the breakfast is great. We got massages at the spa and the massage therapists were trained high quality professionals. We even ate at Henry's on the grounds - they were very accommodating to dietary restrictions which was nice. All in all, the service felt much better than my last visit. I would recommend this place for a weekend getaway from the city - a nice tranquil escape.

Room Tip: Grand Laurel has a view of the lake, a fireplace and lots of room to lounge.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 12, 2013

I wrote this letter back in the summer to the owner. It is winter, and I have not gotten a response.

Dear Mr. Pollock,

I am writing about my recent stay at Buttermilk Falls. While the staff was friendly and the breakfast delicious our room left a lot to be desired.

On July 16th-18th my husband and I stayed in the Rook’s Nest. Our first complaint is the advertising that states the bed is queen sized. It is not. It is a full size. That is a major difference. The price should not be be the same as the other rooms with real queen size beds. The staff denied it was a different size. We measured to be sure as we have a queen in our home.

Secondly, there were several problems with the bathroom. The sink was clogged and had a very slow drain, the toilet handle was broken and there was a small sliver of glass in the shower. I cut my toe on it.

My last complaint is about Henry’s. The food was well prepared and tasty, but the staff was over worked, which was surprising as 90% of the dinners were Inn guests. What I found most shocking, however, was the lack of local wines. There was not a single bottle on the list. Our server said local wine is too expensive to serve. We had just been to White Cliff Vineyards and had wonderful, well priced wines. I don’t know how a “farm to table” restaurant could omit local wine. We were actually looking forward to reading the wine list and learning about a local winery we hadn’t visited.

I hope your website can correct your advertising of the Rook’s Nest bed, and I hope you consider adding local wine choices to your wine list. Lastly, I think that it is important that your staff service the bathrooms at your inn better.

Room Tip: The massage therapist said she "knew what to do" and didn't take guidance.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank julie S
buttermilkfalls, General Manager at Buttermilk Falls Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2013

Dear Julie S,

Thank you for offering your feedback on your experience in July. I apologize that your expectations were not met and that communication was lacking on behalf of our Management Team. I do want to let you know that I have recently returned to the property as General Manager (as of September of this year) and have already addressed some of the maintenance concerns that you brought up. Broken glass on the floor is unacceptable and I will personally discuss this issue with my Housekeeping team as a reminder of how essential their attention to detail and thorough upkeep is.
I also apologize that the owner did not respond to you directly. He is not a 'working owner' and does not keep an office our hours here at the Inn. You will be happy to know that our restaurant is offering local wines and micro-brews on the drink menu.

I would love to discuss your stay further, as I was not managing the property at the time of your visit. Please reach out to me directly so I can assure this doesn't happen again.

Thank you again for taking the time to offer your feedback.

CJ