“Wonderful atmosphere and service -- and breakfasts!”

Buttermilk Falls Inn & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Milton B&B and Inns
Arizona
“Wonderful atmosphere and service -- and breakfasts!”
Reviewed November 22, 2013

My husband and I lived in this area, just a few miles from Buttermilk Falls and were familiar with this property before it became the inn/spa resort. We have wanted to return to NY and stay there for some time and finally did last week. We were delighted with the old-fashioned, cozy room above the carriage house (Rook's Nest) with working fireplace and the friendly, rescued animals they have on the farm. It's a wonderful place to walk around and each time you do, you can discover new things to see. The full breakfasts were gourmet with wonderful creative choices (eggs fresh from their own farm) and the on-site bakery chef made the best bagels and bialys. I did not try the spa -- next time -- as we have already booked for next October.

Room Tip: The rooms in the Inn are also lovely and cozy, some with their own decks overlooking the pond and th...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ArizonaCarrie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Staff was very nice and helpfull. The food was mediocre at best. The sea bass was served cold and had to send it back to warm it up. Bread pudding with ice cream was not good at all.
I don't think I would go back for dinner.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank farmer2290
buttermilkfalls, General Manager at Buttermilk Falls Inn & Spa, responded to this review, December 14, 2013
Dear Farmer2290,

Thank you for offering your feedback on your recent dining experience at our restaurant, Henry's at the Farm. I am sorry that your meal did not meet your expectations, or our standards. In light of the shortcomings of the Sea Bass Entree and Bread Pudding Dessert, I am happy to hear that our staff responded to your needs enough for you to comment on how great their service was. I will share your feedback with our Executive Chef and see what we can do in the future to ensure every dish is hot (when it should be!) and delicious.

I hope our Staff, which was the brighter side of your visit, is enough to bring you back for a future visit.

Feel free to reach out to me directly if you decide to give us another go.

Best,
CJ
info@buttermilkfallsinn.com
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 5, 2013

I can't believe I have lived so close to Buttermilk Falls Inn (28 miles) and this is the first time I have ever enjoyed the Inn!! My three girlfriends and I stayed in the North Cottage this past weekend and had a perfect getaway! The cottage was so cute and cozy...we thoroughly enjoyed the fireplace and full kitchen. The weather was gorgeous, the setting amazing (especially the sunset and sunrise from our deck) and the animals at Millstone Farm were a joy to see. Dinner both nights at Henry's was amazing (service was great) and the spa treatments were fabulous. I enjoyed the weekend away so much, that I've already booked a return trip with my husband. What a lovely jewel in the Hudson Valley!!

Room Tip: The North Cottage was the most private, we felt like we were far away on a country resort!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Sussex, New Jersey
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Just spent an amazing few days at Buttermilk Inn. We were warmly greeted and shown to our room. It was small, but comfortable - nice bathroom - closet could use a few hangers. We immediately set out with our cameras to explore the grounds. They still had flowers in bloom, and the combination of the autumn leaves, the river view, the farm, the art we were afforded many photo ops. We enjoyed the afternoon tea, which was delicious and plentiful - as was the breakfast prepared by Chef DiPaulis. We didn't take advantage of the spa services this trip, but got to relax and read by the indoor pool, with the sauna and steam room. Again, the staff was wonderful. We will definitely go back, and probably stay in one of the bigger rooms we saw.

Dear Nanlor27,

Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback and share your beautiful photos!
The Autumn Season truly is an amazing time of year to visit the Hudson Valley. I will share your comments with our staff, including Chef DiPaulis. She will be so happy to hear the feedback! Your positive experience is what we all strive to achieve every day!

Happy Anniversary and we hope you consider visiting us again soon so that you can share photos of Buttermilk in every season! :D

Best,
CJ
Springfield, New Jersey
Reviewed October 31, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a really lovely (romantic) weekend. I was enrolled at the nearby Culinary Institute for a Saturday cooking class, and I needed a property that would keep my husband comfortable while I was away. The morning breakfast with a sumptuous buffet and hot specials fills you up until dinner. He wandered the spectacular 75 acre property, read in living room, and in general never missed me! We stayed in the "Sweet Basil" room - it was not so special, in fact, rather small but good enough. The gym is small. The indoor swimming pool was too cold to ever go in. Nevertheless, we stood on the little bridge, hypnotized by the exotic ducks and it was all worth it.

New York City, New York
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Looking for a celebratory weekend get-away we found Buttermilk Falls In, in Milton NY. It was just what we were looking for--a beautiful setting, great service and food.
FOOD: Looking back it seems that we ate our way through our stay. Pumpkin pancakes with turkey sausage, and a selection of fruit and pastries served in a charming breakfast room with views of the garden and the Hudson River. Then pulled pork sandwich with incredible fries, fresh and crisp. Tea with cookies, pies, scones for tea time at the same room. We had a glitch at dinner at Henry's the first night. Husband ordered a medium steak to get a rare one. He sent it back and it came back rare again. I was enjoying a delicious rabbit cacciatore over pasta and he switched to that. We were not charged for the steak but it makes you wonder how a chef cannot know the difference. The second night, a peak Saturday night, service staff was overwhelmed. Even so, they never lost their cheeriness. It took us half an hour to get bread and one hour for our entrees. Pork tenderloin was very good, actually tender, something not easily achieved. Scallops also tender and moist. Minor complaint: soup of the day, split pea, was more like soup of the weekend—Friday night, Sat lunch AND Sat diner.
STAFF: The staff is one of the Inn's best assets: always superb, gracious and helpful.
SETTING: The crisp fall temperature was too low to sit outside for long, but strolls throughout the manicured property, down to the falls, the river overlook and the farm were delightful and just what we wanted, an hotel with expansive grounds that we did not have to leave. A cozy reading room at the inn with deep leather sofas and a working fireplace is a balm. There is a computer there, a good thing, as they had "problems with the WiFi" and none was available.
ROOM: We booked late and at top price and stayed at the Maynor Flat, promptly nicknamed the Minor Flat by my husband. Up 17 steps and across a deck that is also a bridge. Once inside the door you again walk up three steps into the room. Its biggest plus is that it is very quiet, downstairs is the Inn’s office. It is a pleasant room, but it is an attic and its sloping roof makes decor awkward ie all the mirrors and art are too low. Only one lamp on the right side of the bed, another reading light would be appreciated. The sink is in the room, in front of the bed and the bathroom, two steps away. The only source of heat comes from a gas fireplace on the other side of the room. It does warm up area, but the bones of the room were so cold when we arrived that we froze until the temperature rose. We had to leave the bathroom doors open in order for the heat to warm it as there is no heat in the bathroom. We still needed an electric heater, provided by front desk, to warm it up before showering. Marble was so COLD it took hours to warm.
It is welcome to have a skylight over the shower and a porthole window, as it makes the bathroom and the room brighter, but since both have no shades, the morning light shines right onto your bed in the morning. Even if we could have closed the bathroom doors, they are glass French doors with a gauzy curtain that allows light through. As the room is for all purposes an attic, it only has one window, posing a design challenge to allow brightness. The front doors are also French doors with a gauzy curtain, therefore neither privacy nor morning darkness. I understand the problem, but it needs a solution.
I would return only if we could get a better room or the bathroom heat and light situation is fixed, as the rest of the inn gets nothing but praise.

1 Thank tropicalia
NYC and Hawaii
Reviewed October 27, 2013

My husband and I have a weekend place only a short distance from here, but it is so incredibly beautiful, the gorgeously landscaped grounds sloping down gradually to the Hudson River. And Henry's is a wonderful restaurant, with a lovely view of woods and ponds. What's not to like? A great place to spend a few hours. To brides looking for a gorgeous wedding location: This would be a perfect spot!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Operababe33
Also consider these accommodations in or near Milton
Minnewaska Lodge
Courtyard Poughkeepsie
Courtyard Poughkeepsie
#2 of 13 in Poughkeepsie
Best Western Plus The Inn & Suites At The Falls

Been to Buttermilk Falls Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!