“Amazing anniversary escape”

Ranked #1 of 3 Milton B&B and Inns
Sussex, New Jersey
“Amazing anniversary escape”
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Just spent an amazing few days at Buttermilk Inn. We were warmly greeted and shown to our room. It was small, but comfortable - nice bathroom - closet could use a few hangers. We immediately set out with our cameras to explore the grounds. They still had flowers in bloom, and the combination of the autumn leaves, the river view, the farm, the art we were afforded many photo ops. We enjoyed the afternoon tea, which was delicious and plentiful - as was the breakfast prepared by Chef DiPaulis. We didn't take advantage of the spa services this trip, but got to relax and read by the indoor pool, with the sauna and steam room. Again, the staff was wonderful. We will definitely go back, and probably stay in one of the bigger rooms we saw.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
buttermilkfalls, General Manager at Buttermilk Falls Inn & Spa, responded to this review, December 14, 2013
Dear Nanlor27,

Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback and share your beautiful photos!
The Autumn Season truly is an amazing time of year to visit the Hudson Valley. I will share your comments with our staff, including Chef DiPaulis. She will be so happy to hear the feedback! Your positive experience is what we all strive to achieve every day!

Happy Anniversary and we hope you consider visiting us again soon so that you can share photos of Buttermilk in every season! :D

Best,
CJ

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Springfield, New Jersey
Reviewed October 31, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a really lovely (romantic) weekend. I was enrolled at the nearby Culinary Institute for a Saturday cooking class, and I needed a property that would keep my husband comfortable while I was away. The morning breakfast with a sumptuous buffet and hot specials fills you up until dinner. He wandered the spectacular 75 acre property, read in living room, and in general never missed me! We stayed in the "Sweet Basil" room - it was not so special, in fact, rather small but good enough. The gym is small. The indoor swimming pool was too cold to ever go in. Nevertheless, we stood on the little bridge, hypnotized by the exotic ducks and it was all worth it.

New York City, New York
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Looking for a celebratory weekend get-away we found Buttermilk Falls In, in Milton NY. It was just what we were looking for--a beautiful setting, great service and food.
FOOD: Looking back it seems that we ate our way through our stay. Pumpkin pancakes with turkey sausage, and a selection of fruit and pastries served in a charming breakfast room with views of the garden and the Hudson River. Then pulled pork sandwich with incredible fries, fresh and crisp. Tea with cookies, pies, scones for tea time at the same room. We had a glitch at dinner at Henry's the first night. Husband ordered a medium steak to get a rare one. He sent it back and it came back rare again. I was enjoying a delicious rabbit cacciatore over pasta and he switched to that. We were not charged for the steak but it makes you wonder how a chef cannot know the difference. The second night, a peak Saturday night, service staff was overwhelmed. Even so, they never lost their cheeriness. It took us half an hour to get bread and one hour for our entrees. Pork tenderloin was very good, actually tender, something not easily achieved. Scallops also tender and moist. Minor complaint: soup of the day, split pea, was more like soup of the weekend—Friday night, Sat lunch AND Sat diner.
STAFF: The staff is one of the Inn's best assets: always superb, gracious and helpful.
SETTING: The crisp fall temperature was too low to sit outside for long, but strolls throughout the manicured property, down to the falls, the river overlook and the farm were delightful and just what we wanted, an hotel with expansive grounds that we did not have to leave. A cozy reading room at the inn with deep leather sofas and a working fireplace is a balm. There is a computer there, a good thing, as they had "problems with the WiFi" and none was available.
ROOM: We booked late and at top price and stayed at the Maynor Flat, promptly nicknamed the Minor Flat by my husband. Up 17 steps and across a deck that is also a bridge. Once inside the door you again walk up three steps into the room. Its biggest plus is that it is very quiet, downstairs is the Inn’s office. It is a pleasant room, but it is an attic and its sloping roof makes decor awkward ie all the mirrors and art are too low. Only one lamp on the right side of the bed, another reading light would be appreciated. The sink is in the room, in front of the bed and the bathroom, two steps away. The only source of heat comes from a gas fireplace on the other side of the room. It does warm up area, but the bones of the room were so cold when we arrived that we froze until the temperature rose. We had to leave the bathroom doors open in order for the heat to warm it as there is no heat in the bathroom. We still needed an electric heater, provided by front desk, to warm it up before showering. Marble was so COLD it took hours to warm.
It is welcome to have a skylight over the shower and a porthole window, as it makes the bathroom and the room brighter, but since both have no shades, the morning light shines right onto your bed in the morning. Even if we could have closed the bathroom doors, they are glass French doors with a gauzy curtain that allows light through. As the room is for all purposes an attic, it only has one window, posing a design challenge to allow brightness. The front doors are also French doors with a gauzy curtain, therefore neither privacy nor morning darkness. I understand the problem, but it needs a solution.
I would return only if we could get a better room or the bathroom heat and light situation is fixed, as the rest of the inn gets nothing but praise.

1 Thank tropicalia
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 27, 2013

My husband and I have a weekend place only a short distance from here, but it is so incredibly beautiful, the gorgeously landscaped grounds sloping down gradually to the Hudson River. And Henry's is a wonderful restaurant, with a lovely view of woods and ponds. What's not to like? A great place to spend a few hours. To brides looking for a gorgeous wedding location: This would be a perfect spot!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Operababe33
Glen Rock, New Jersey
Reviewed October 22, 2013

My wife and I were lucky to find a discount on booking at this wonderful inn. Located on the west side of the Hudson River, the property is very quiet and would be a beautiful setting for a wedding. But we are already married and had a relaxing day walking the grounds, enjoying the afternoon tea, a nice nap and a wonderful dinner at Henry's; their farm to table reataurant. the staff was wonderful, the room was a bit small, but had a fireplace and jacuzzi tub, so we can overlook the size. They served us a wonderful breakfast with eggs right from their own farm.

We did not utilize the spa, but will be returning to check that out in the future.

Room Tip: We had Sage Right, which although a little small, was super quiet with it's own fireplace and ja...
2 Thank PigPen54
buttermilkfalls, General Manager at Buttermilk Falls Inn & Spa, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear Recent Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback on your recent experience at Buttermilk Falls Inn & Spa. We value what you have to share about your visit and want to ensure we are providing the service and quality that will keep our guests coming back again and again.

We are so happy you enjoyed your anniversary with us and hope that on your next visit you will be able to enjoy the spa as well.

We look forward to seeing you again soon!
CJ Hartwell, General Manager
Pawling, New York
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I had my Mother and Aunt coming in from out of town. I had called mid week to see if they had any openings for 90 min. massages for us. The receptionist said we got the last appointments. I did call when driving in to let them know we were going to be late (15 min.) we had the remaining 75 min. To our surprise our messages were barley 30 min.....NOT what I requested at time of booking. It took us longer to get there (an hour) and undress then the time we were on the table. The massage was rushed and not worth $390. I have been to many spas and must say this was one of the most disappointing experience I have had. Sadly my Mother and Aunt do not get to have a spa day often and this WAS going to be a real treat for them. My suggestion make sure your receptionist is truly listening to your clients and maybe repeats their request. Very disappointing!!

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Kelly P
Dear Kelly,

It seems we failed to provide a satisfactory service on your recent visit to the spa. This is not the level of customer service we strive to achieve. I spoke with our spa manager to see what went wrong and it looks like you were in fact booked for 60 minute services. Compounded with you running late, it would definitely cut drastically into your service time. I also understand that the remainder of the day was booked solid and there was not any 'wiggle room' available to extend your services. I am not sure where the communication broke down that caused the 60 minute service to be booked instead of the 90 minute, but I will work directly with the spa team to see what we can do in the future to make situations like this better.

Thank you again for your feedback and should you decide to give us a second try, please reach out to me and I will personally help you in making your appointments.

I sincerely apologize to you and your family and hope you can come for another visit soon,

CJ Hartwell
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Buttermilk Falls Inn perfectly met my vision of a charming Inn conveniently situated in the Hudson River Valley. Selecting a place to stay that was located near the center of the Hudson River Valley that still met my high standards for an accommodation and service was no easy task. The staff at the Inn were friendly and helpful without being overbearing. The property itself felt like a charming oasis along the Hudson River. The Inn and it's restaurant Henry's has a farm to table, and since the Inn is also a working farm it is more visible; the breakfast was delicious. The varied designs of the structures on the property from the spa to the restaurant to the rooms are well balanced and maintained. I would recommend Buttermilk Falls to anyone.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Scott M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Milton
Minnewaska Lodge
#1 of 5 in New Paltz
Courtyard Poughkeepsie
Courtyard Poughkeepsie
#3 of 13 in Poughkeepsie

Been to Buttermilk Falls Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!