“A GREAT PLACE TO VISIT”

Buttermilk Falls Inn & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Milton B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 28, 2011

This inn, in a small town in upstate NY, was absolutely wonderful....from the staff's helpfulness to the food to accomodations.....have only positive feedback. A real treasure get away. Next trip will be when the wineries are open and will take advantage of the warmer weather to explore the interesting trails.

1  Thank jazzman44
There are newer reviews for Buttermilk Falls Inn & Spa

Reviewed March 15, 2011

My friend and I chose Buttermilk for a weekend away to catch up, relax and decompress. We loved the Gindelle Suite, which gave us plenty of room, a cozy fireplace, and space for two small dogs. The spa was lovely and the treatments were very high quality. The treatment rooms were comfortable, well-appointed and spotless. Demand for treatments seems to exceed supply. I would recommend booking well in advance. Don't expect a lot of flexibility if you change your mind or decide to add treatments at the last minute. On the plus side, they will spoil you mercilessly with wine by the pool, lovely robes, nice lotions, etc. and the view from the spa is truly gorgeous.

The restaurant is new, and they are working out the service and menu kinks, but in general the food was quite good and the service very accomodating. My monkfish was delicious, but my dining partner's pasta dish was fairly pedestrian. The wine selection had some very nice choices and they were reasonably priced. I really enjoyed the citrus tart with fresh whipped cream on the side. It was unusual but delicious.

The grounds are beautiful, and the llamas and sheep are adorable. The breakfast and tea are tasty and generous. Frittatas and hot from the oven chocolate chip cookies were highlights.

I would definitely make a repeat visit to Buttermilk Falls Inn. I would like to come back at a different time of year to see the natural beauty of the area in another season.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 14, 2011

We stayed at Buttermilk Falls for the second time recently and it was, if possible, even better than the first time. The staff was incredibly friendly and the accommodations were so lovely and relaxing. We stayed in the Winterberry room, which has a wonderful deck overlooking the grounds and the river. I highly recommend the new restaurant they recently opened. The service was great and the food was even better. It was really nice to be able to just walk across the grounds to have dinner. Breakfast the next morning was great and the chef was so friendly.
Our only mistake was only staying one night, which we thought we had learned from the first time. Be sure to book two nights because you absolutely won't want to leave after only one.

Reviewed March 7, 2011

I have been in the hospitality industry working with 4 and 5 star hotels for over 30 years. My personal preference to stay for vacations are bed and breakfasts. This Inn now tops my favorite list at the number one spot. This Inn offers comfortable luxury with lots of pampering. The Inn's guest rooms are beautifully appointed each with gas fireplaces.
Henry's is their new restaurant, only opened a week when we had dinner there and I couldn't find a thing they could have done better. Creative and delicious meals, the wait staff knowledgeable and friendly. It is a farm to table restaurant so everything was super fresh.
Every employee we encountered was gracious and did their best to accommodate whatever we asked for.
The spa was as upscale as any NY City spa and the treatments were wonderful.
You can't beat the views from almost anywhere you walk around this 5 acre property.
Oh and the breakfast chef was amazing and attentive. Again, scrumptious and more than plentiful with homemade breads, fruits.
Will go back again and again

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 6, 2011

My husband and I stayed at Buttermilk Falls Inn and we had a great time. We were looking for a getaway from NYC and this place was perfect. We stayed in the Lotus Blossom room in the main house. Because it was during the week, there were not too many people staying in the house so it felt very private. (And we got 20% off the rate!) The room was beautiful and not at all country-kitschy. We had a fireplace and jacuzzi bathtub! We spent a day just walking around the grounds, checking out the animals and reading by the fireplace. What a bonus to be able to use the pool at the spa! The breakfasts and afternoon tea were delicious and the all of the staff were friendly and nice. In addition to all the nice foods they put out, you are given a choice of two hot breakfasts. I like that you can take any beverages you want out of the fridge and that they have different varieties of Polar seltzer. It's the little things like that which make a difference!

I got a massage at the spa and it was fantastic -- highly recommend Tracy. It was opening night at Henry's, the restaurant on the property, so we gave it a try. Beautiful space and overall good experience. (My husband's food was great, my pasta dish was only so-so.) We did go have dinner at the nearby CIA (Culinary Institute of America) which was excellent. We tried the Italian restaurant -- the food is prepared and served by the students. What a great time!

The only complaints I have were that one morning I went to use the pool and a staff member was vacuuming the entire pool area. Hello? So not relaxing! Also, the spa should have an area where you sit and wait for your treatment, you should not have to sit out by the pool in a chair waiting. And there was no water available -- come on, every spa has a pitcher of water with cucumbers in it, right? Check out time at the inn was too early (11am). Noon would be better. Otherwise just a fantastic, relaxing time in the country. I am sure we will be back in the spring or summer!

Reviewed February 10, 2011

My fiance and I spent a weekend at Buttermilk Falls in late January. Even though the grounds were covered with snow, it was still breathtaking! Bonus: the grounds include a duck pond, llamas and an organic garden! Our room was very charming, super warm from the fireplace and had a jacuzzi tub -- everything we look for in a B&B. The breakfast was amazing and included several options, including healthy and organic options. The welcoming and friendly staff made our stay even better. We also took advantage of the top notch spa services - our couples massage was amazing. We can't wait to go back. I highly recommend Buttermilk Falls!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 7, 2011

Have stayed here a few times in past five years. Beautiful in any season. Never get tired of walking around the grounds. The Falls, the farm, the pond, the railroad tracks and most of all, the view of the Hudson. The main house is comfortable; the quality of the breakfast has sufferred in recent years but is still very good. The glass enclosed pool/sauna/steamroom is clean and quiet. The rooms each have their own character; the old graveyard is eerily charming; and there are plenty of nice restaurants to go to if you are willing to travel into New Paltz.

From the other reviews I have read, most complaints are directed at the staff. From my experience, the service has been at times accomodating and at times rude. But the most attractive feature of the Buttermilk Falls Inn is definitely the natural beauty of the property. It wows me everytime I go and it supersedes any minor complaints I could ever have with the service, spa or breakfast.

One other point: I do not dislike children. My wife and I are planning on having children of our own soon... BUT ... when we spend $700 for a serene quiet weekend getaway, our objective is to GET AWAY from the noise of the city. And children are ANTI-SERENITY. When we have children, we won't be going to the Buttermilk anymore. We'll go to Disney and Hershey Park.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Milton
Minnewaska Lodge
The Inn And Spa At Beacon
Courtyard Poughkeepsie
Courtyard Poughkeepsie
#3 of 13 in Poughkeepsie

Been to Buttermilk Falls Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!