“Great Find on Family Trip to the Island!!!”
Review of Orto

Orto
Ranked #1 of 46 Restaurants in Miller Place
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Honey Lane
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Had a great meal at Ortos we have been to the Kitchen Bistro last year and that was also 5 stars. The great thing about this is you know its fresh with the limited menu. Brought our own wine which we had no problem pouring ourselves (Really)!! the only issue with service was 2 out of 4 of us ordered the same pasta and we only got one. But within a few minutes I had mine.All in all a great place with great food. And yes it would be more benefiial to take credit cards.

3  Thank chifinn

Reviewed September 9, 2012

We came here for a romantic dinner with very high expectations given all of the positive reviews proclaiming this place (and the sister-Kitchen A. restaurants) to be a foodie-haven. The exterior is quaint and has pleasant historic curb appeal. The interior is nicely updated while keeping its historic feel. We brought our own wine and came about 30 min before our reservation and enjoyed some of our wine at the bar. Bartender was friendly. They do not have a corking fee and you can drink your own wine at the bar if you like. I would have liked the service to extend to refilling our glasses as needed.... I think the bartenders must frequently get stiffed by cheap people not tipping while bringing their own wine. Who knows.

So we sat for dinner and had already planned to do the four-course tasting menu... but opted not to do it after learning that the the four courses are a surprise assortment. We just ordered our own selection of 4. The food was really a disappointment. It wasn't bad - it just was by no means as good as it should have been to warrant the reviews we saw on here. Started with the white bean dip - it was fine - pureed white beans with garlic and other spices - nothing really that special.

I had the farm egg over polenta and mushrooms. I was extremely excited for this dish. Everything about it sounded amazing and the bartender had recommended it as one of the most popular dishes. What arrived on the table was just awful! An egg... breaded in panko or some equivalent and deep fried?! Ick! There was a gravy with visible grease floating atop. The polenta was good but had some chunks in it. The taste was okay... but the horrible old-grease taste from the deep fried breading around the egg ruined the entire dish.

The baby green salad with pecorino dressing was less than flavorful. My date had the small dish of gnocchi which he hated. I'm not sure you could call what arrived "gnocchi." There were no individual dumplings to be seen! It was a crock dish with what I suppose was the gnocchi material ladled into the dish and then baked. Either that or the dumplings were too soft and mushed together during baking. It tasted fine to me, but not at all like gnocchi, and to be honest it really did not look appetizing all mushed in the bowl.

The pappardelle bolognese was just like hamburger helper. Barely any tomato base to be seen or tasted - mostly cream and likely plain old ground beef. So you'll like it if you like hamburger helper.

By the time our entrees were on the way, our expectations had seriously been diminished. The duck that I ordered was pretty good and was quite a substantial portion. The skin was tasty and it was a good entree by itself. The vegetable mush surrounding it was lacking in flavor and texture and went untouched. My date ordered the short rib which he enjoyed but said was not memorable.

One final comment: this place only accepts cash. I'm all for the small business doing what it can tax-wise to survive and avoid credit card fees. Usually you see cash-only establishments as small ticket places - i.e. your local deli, small sushi joint or pizza shop. You do not, however, expect a restaurant to hold itself out as four stars, serve two star food and accept payment like the local deli, especially not when the bill calls for you to bring the Benjamins. In this case, I think the Kitchen A. restaurants can afford a 25 cent transaction fee - and they should.

Reviewed June 29, 2012

Once a small French Restaurant, the building has been expanded with more modern larger dining room in addtion to the smaller room..The large room can get noisy with the fair number of guests that make resrvations essential on weekends.No credit cars are accepted. The mneu includes a prix fix dinner .It changes constsantly,so there is always a chance to try something new. The chocolate cake is deicious, but not the largest portion you,ve ever seen.hint hint

2  Thank reisman18
Reviewed June 8, 2012

Thanks to a gift certificate, my husband and I tried this restaurant and were glad we did. Being used to the traditional restaurant with a price fixe that's very limited in choices, it took us a long time to decide from the many creative options on the four-section menu presented to us. From the appetizers, we chose frogs legs and crispy soft-shell crab and then went on to the "primi" of not-your-usual pasta offerings. (The roasted corn ravioli was superb). A friend had raved about the duck-two-ways and we were not disappointed. I chose a delicious pineapple cake for dessert to top off a meal that was a gourmet's delight. One of the best things about dining at Orto is that it's truly a leisurely dining experience. I was pleased that time was taken to prepare each dish so that we could enjoy the ambiance of the restaurant itself. The atmosphere was not at all "stuffy" as I had feared it might be. In a building where several restaurants had preceded Orto, there has always been a charm and intimacy in the layout and decor. A cozy bar off the foyer doesn't intrude on the warmly attractive dining room. Another big plus about this restaurant is that, while they have a full bar, they graciously invite diners to bring their own bottle of wine if they so choose. I think this is not only a plus for diners but also a smart move by the owners. People often get put off going to an upscale restaurant because they have been to places where they've gotten a stingy pour at an excessive price.

At Orto's, the way to go is with one of their two price-fixe options. The three-course offering is $38 and the four-course is $48. As I mentioned above, don't expect the usual price fixe with meager choices. There were fifteen appetizers, seven pasta course and eight entrees on the main menu, followed by a choice of several desserts. At the risk of being too wordy in this review, I do want to point out another "nouveau" feature about this restaurant's price fixe. If you'd prefer, you can skip the appetizer and have a small pasta, entree and dessert or some other combination of the courses. Orto's has brought us into the modern dining scene and we're liking it! This place is definitely a winner and I highly recommend it.

3  Thank ferryboaters
Reviewed April 22, 2012

I love the kitchen bistro theme bring your own wine and fresh food. Orto has a very warm feeling. The service is wonderful. The have a full bar but also BYO policy with no corkage fee which is wonderful. I have eaten here 3 times with my husband and we have not been disapointed with any of the food
You can order ala carte or $37 for a 3 course meal. The staff is very knowldgeable about the food as well

4  Thank firehouse1