“poor customer service”

Comfort Inn & Suites at the Ballpark
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Milford
Reviewed January 10, 2008

after going to our room we realized that our door did not lock properly. informed the front desk. tried to reprogram the lock-still not working. the "night" manager called our room at 5:30 told us to go to dinner and she would fix the door. If she couldn't fix the door she would move us to another room. got back from dinner about 8:30. was told by an employee at the front desk that someone was coming at 9pm to fix our door. at 9:30 asked another employee what was happening. She called the "night" manager at home. The "night" manager asked to speak to me and told me she could not fix our door. so I said ok we will move to another room. Was told by the "night" manager that all the rooms were sold. She said they sold the last room at 7:30-2 hours after she promised she move us to another room if our door could not be fixed. then she informed me that it was to late to call in anyone to fix it. she said they would have a camera the door all night- like we would really know that for sure. had to sleep with furniture up agains the door for extra security. the next morning when leaving we heard a few more people complaining about their doors not locking properly either. I found the "night" manager not very helpful-she should have checked first to make sure there was a room to move us to if the door could not be fixed before she offered that as a resolution to the problem. she also made us feel like this was a non-issue-who cares if you door does not lock and anyone can come walking in. I have contacted Howard Johnson directly and was bascially told that how this was handled was ok by them. I will never stay at another Howard Johnson's again!

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank osfanlt

Reviewed November 26, 2007

I stayed one night at this Howard Johnson to visit the Baseball Hall of Fame. Now I've stayed at my share of HoJo's (family connection for discounts) and must say this one is one of the best I've experienced. It was a new construction, quiet and close enough to the main street in Cooperstown. Our bed was a tad hard, but it was only one night and some people might like that. All in all I'd stay there again.

P.S. Once in town go to this little tiny diner I think it's called the Cooperstown Diner, very small, and extremely cheap, good food. It's on the left side of the road at the beginning of Main St. going towards the Hall.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BCape
Reviewed November 18, 2007

The hotel is fairly new and has what we needed for our family.
The off-season price was right--under $100. It has an indoor pool which is not big nor fancy, but is clean. We requested a "Crayola" room which has bright colors and an easel for the kids. In room fridge and microwave are a plus.
The rooms are clean, although the staff neglected to clean the toilet, but with one phone call to the desk, it was immediately cleaned and then they "refreshed" the whole room.
Free breakfast is very basic (coffee, tea, milk, juices, cereal, toaster waffles, muffins, etc.) but satisfying if you don't need a big, hot meal.
Overall, a clean family place in the middle of farm country, just outside Cooperstown.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed November 7, 2007

This place is a nightmare. Our room was given to someone else so we were were given keys to check out an alternate room. Problem was we walked in to an occupied room. When we finally got a room we had people enter or try to enter twice. The first time an elderly couple came waltzing in (with a key).
The second time we fortunately had the safety latch thrown so the intruder (again with a key) only opened the door a few inches (at 11 pm). This time I ran to the lobby immediately to report only to have the man at the desk tell me "oh..that was me,sorry".
We paid about $250/night to stay and the only compensation they gave was $50 off. We currently have an open "incident" with corporate hojo.
I don't make a habit of slamming businesses but this has been bugging me for a while. These people were not proffessional and were arrogant. They were very unorganized and seemed to adopt a bad attitude to cover for their lack of having a clue as to how to run a hotel.
There, I feel better now.

-NH

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed September 13, 2007

We wanted to visit Baseball Hall of Fame for few days with my school age kids. We were looking for a hotel in the area that had a swimming pool, which my kids seem to enjoy no matter else we do during a trip.

We did not find any inexpensive hotels in Cooperstown this time of year. We looked online at three hotels just outside of town (within 5 miles), including the Holiday Inn Express.

The HoJo one was new, had a pool, and received other good recommendations. Plus it has a basic breakfast included. We enjoyed our stay. The room was clean and bright with Crayola theme. The breakfast was basically what expected with bagels, muffins, cerals, coffee. The pool area was fine, although it is smaller than would like when crowded. Service was friendly and lobby area is bright and comfortable for sitting.

Tip for Hall of Fame: If you're planning to go for at least two days to visit the Hall, I recommend purchasing a family membership before your trip online at [--]. We did this and we cut through the lines outside to get in, received special treatment inside and tickets to members only event, had discounts on purchases at store, and the total cost was about what it would have been if we just purchased two-day passes. Plus, your membership supports the Hall of Fame and its activities.

Bruce, co-author "Watch It Made In The USA: A Visitors Guide to the Best Factory Tours and Company Musuems"

Stayed: September 2007
1  Thank Factory_tour_man
Reviewed August 10, 2007

We stayed for one night. The hotel was very clean. When you walked into the room for the first time it actually smelled clean. The hotel is only a few miles from town. We parked and use the trolley service to go back and forth. Check in and Check out were quick and painless. Free Internet usage from your room. This is a family hotel, lots of baseball teams in town. There were some kids yelling and running around, but it did not last too long. I would recommend this hotel to any one visiting the area.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank mosween
Reviewed July 16, 2007

We stayed one night here in early July 2007. The room was clean and nicely decorated, but small. It was just your basic motel room. I thought it was overpriced, but then we were near Cooperstown. The room had a safe and they actually tried to charge us $1.50 extra for the safe. I refused!!! We had not asked for it nor did we use it. They removed it from the bill.

They have breakfast in the morning - just the cereal, toast, juice and coffee thing. Nothing special at all. We weren't there long enough to use the pool or other facilities.

I'd say if you need a clean, comfortable place to stay then this fills the bill

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank charjer401
Also consider these accommodations in or near Milford
Holiday Inn Express Cooperstown
Holiday Inn Oneonta
Holiday Inn Oneonta
#5 of 9 in Oneonta
Courtyard Oneonta Cooperstown Area

Been to Comfort Inn & Suites at the Ballpark? Share your experiences!