“RUDE & OBNIXIOUS STAFF, SMELLY ROOM”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Super 8 Middletown

Super 8 Middletown
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Middletown
Rochester, New York
“RUDE & OBNIXIOUS STAFF, SMELLY ROOM”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2010

If you are thinking of stopping by this hotel because you are dead tired and every other hotel is filled, DON'T. It is not worth it, keep on driving. The room smelled horrible, the bedding was unsatisfactory, and worst of all the staff is some of the worst that I have ever encountered in a hotel anywhere. Oh, and watch for that little extra $1.50 charge that they automatically bill to every room because they have a safe "for your convenience".

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
MiddBanta11, General Manager at Super 8 Middletown, responded to this review, May 19, 2011
While not with the property at the time of your stay, I would still like to apologize for the poor experience you encountered while here. I'm pleased to report that considerable steps have been taken to improve both the product and guest service we deliver. We take guest feedback seriously and use it to help us make ongoing improvements to the property.

Friendly service and cleanliness are amongst our TOP priorities. I ask that you please consider using us again in the future. Contact me directly to make these arrangements if you wish at 845.692.5828 to book your next stay.

Thank you for recognizing our desire to serve you better!

Respectfully,
Lisa Wolgamuth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Chania Town, Greece
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2010

Despite travelling to some of the most dangerous countries in the world, this hotel is by far one of the scariest places in my travels. Being that we decided to do a last minute travel to NY we did not have the luxury of planning out our hotels. Running late to a family event we decided to wing it at the Super 8. This was to be a big mistake. Our check in clerk was efficient and kind. Despite being given a non-smoking room we had to switch because the room reeked of smoke. Our second room was a real gem. Despite just being cleaned by a housekeeper seconds earlier (we passed her in the hall) the carpet was filthy and there were crumbs and filth all on the floor.
My wife did her inspection of the bed only to find smudge marks and stray hairs all over the pillows and sheets. It was obvious that the cleaning lady did not change the sheets. Was she saving the hotel money? Was she shaving her workload? We immediately reported it to the head cleaner. She told the maid to strip the entire bed down to the mattress. After that delay we were greeted with a dirty shower with a drooping ceiling tile. The fan vent in the bathroom was covered with grime and hair. The shower was covered with a white tape down the length of the tub. Upon taking a shower it was obvious that there was a huge hole in the tub and the tape was keeping it all together.
In the room we found dirty towels behind the dressers and assortment of pills left by the last occupant. We immediately instructed our daughter to not leave the bed without our supervision. We decided to call it an early night. At 3am we were awoken to a car alarm and loud voices in the parking lot. Two men were fighting over a woman with loud obscenities and threats. The men took their fight into the hallway pushing against doors as they tussled. After bracing on the floor to avoid possible stray bullets I attempted to call 911. The telephone did not have a cord attached. Ok!!!! I quickly used my cell phone to call the police. As if anticipating events at this 'hotel', the police were there in 3 minutes...We decided that we were not going to pay for this room...The next morning we approached the manager who gave us 1/2 price off for our troubles..We decided that we needed to get out of their as soon as possible...so we left to never return to this Super 8 or any other again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank Beans B
MiddBanta11, General Manager at Super 8 Middletown, responded to this review, May 15, 2011
In reading your review of our property, I was disappointed to learn that the Super 8 in Middletown, NY had failed to deliver on its guest service. I've arrived at the hotel since your stay and feel that our staff has changed direction and made great strides in the areas of cleanliness, safety and guest service.

Your hotel stay should allow you to feel both safe and comfortable, we continue to make daily improvements to reach these goals.

If you consider returning to our property, I'd like you to contact me directly at 845-692-5828 to make your arrangements. We'd like to see you again in the future.

Best Regards,
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2010

We stopped at this motel after driving about 18 hours. The clerk said that they had two rooms available. One was a smoking room with two beds and one was a non-smoking room with one king size bed. Since we had our daughter with us we decided to check out the smoking room. It smelled like an ashtray! We told the desk clerk that we decided to take the room with the king size bed. My husband was the first to get into bed and quickly jumped out of the bed! "This bed is all wet," he said. I took off the bedspread and we noticed the flat sheet, full sheet, mattress pad, and mattress were all wet. It was not yellow, (so urine was not the issue.) There was no smell, whatsoever. My guess is that the housekeeper took wet sheets and put them on the bed and figured they would dry while on the bed. Unbelievable!
I called the front desk and told her that all of the bedding was soaking wet. She said that there was no one there to change the bedding and that if we wanted clean sheets, we would have to bring them to the front desk. We took everything, even the pillowcases to the front desk and got another set of clean dry bedding. We were so sleepy and exhausted, but we flipped the mattress over, changed the bedding and went to sleepl. I couldn't wait to leave the next morning. The desk clerk was very understanding and told us to call the manager to complain. We have her card and have tried to get a hold of her many, many times. She is avoiding our call.
If I have learned anything from this experience, it is to look up the hotel online and check out the reviews ahead of time. This whole experience seemed surreal and after reading other bad reviews about this motel, I see we were not alone.
I wish we had known ahead of time what this place was like. What a waste of money. I wish we would have just slept in our car!

• Stayed July 2010
I'd like to offer my apologies for the series of miscues that resulted in such a poor guest experience during your stay in July 2010. Not having been a part of the hotel's team at that time, I can only offer you an assurance that such things wouldn't happen on your return trip. Housekeeping procedures and front desk staff responsiveness are just two of the key areas I've addressed since being on-site.

Please consider another stay at the Super 8 in Middletown, NY. We've simply adopted a different way of doing business.

New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2010

today, i made a reservation with my sisters and I for a night in The Super 8 middletown hotel and we went on this website after the reservation and saw a ll the bad things about the hotel.and then we called the hotel and asked to cancel the reservation about 10 minutes ago and the manager started giving me a very sassy attitude and YELLED at me and I was very offended and then i had to stay on the phone for an hour with the hotel buisness company and they said there was a due date of when you can cancel and it said we had to cancel; at 4:00 and less but we made the reservation at FIVE O'CLOCK!! how could we cancel something if it was 5 when we made the reservation! The manager has a bad attitude and big potty mouth... This place is not family freindly or PEOPLE friendly!!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
While missteps may arise in any environment, the customer service you experienced under former management appears to have been both too rigid and inexcusable. For this, I apologize.

I've tried to exhibit both a fair and practical approach to our cancellation policies, so I hope you might consider trying to stay at the Super 8 in Middletown, NY for a future stay. We'd like you to experience a more inviting way we're doing business.

Regards,
Summitville, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2009

Not sure what was happening prior to my stay. but my husband and I were pleased with our stay. the staff was very pleasant. Room was very clean. I was to understand from looking at other web sites the hotel was full of homeless people. if in fact that was true, we did'nt see them. Keep up the good work.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
I'd like to take this moment to thank you for your post from your December 2009 stay at the Super 8 in Middletown, NY. While I was not yet on property, I'd like to think that the hotel's ownership was working on the problems that other guests had experienced previous to then.

We will continue to work on items other guests found as shortcomings and reinforce those positive actions that make a significant impact on our guests. Thanks again.

Looking forward to you stopping by again.

Happy Travels,
TN
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2008

This motel was so old I was shocked that they had the nerve to change $80.00 a night! The carpets are run down, there are roaches, I had to change rooms 4 times because something in each room was broken. My wife and I also witnessed a heavyset black woman (who we were told was the "manager") using every curse word you can think of in a lobby full of people, some being children. I will never ever stay here again. I have been to other Super 8 Motels that were very nice, and this one was like a roach motel. Very dirty and run down, not worth the money. Stay away!

• Liked — When it was over
  • Disliked — The management and how rundown the motel was, it should be shutdown
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank freqtraveler21
I'd like to apologize for the fact that you experienced a poor guest experience. During my short time with the hotel, I've placed a high priority on both cleanliness within the hotel and a professional manner with which my staff must act.

It would be an honor to have you return to our hotel and experience the positive changes we've put in place. Please consider this invitation when making your next travel decision to the Middletown, NY area.

Yorktown Heights, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2007

This place is party centeral for the teens. This hotel is not afraid to tell you at check in that the cops will be called if there are any problems (even if you are not a teen), Not my idea of a welcome and thanks for choosing us. Hotel is however pretty clean, very reasonably priced and Dominos delivers for free. Overall, was not horrible, but could have lived without the cops banging down the neighbors door at 3 am, guess they do not hesitate to call the police as stated earlier.

• Liked — -
  • Disliked — -
  • Stayed August 2003, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of the Super 8 in Middletown, NY with other travellers. We appreciate that you could offer honest feedback regarding the things we were doing well and the areas in which we could strive for improvement.

Fortunately, the general environment at the hotel has changed and our staff recognizes the need for the property to provide a safe & comfortable stay for all guests. Resolving issues that arise in a swift and professional manner goes a long way in deterring the unruly guest from disturbing other travellers. We've set new procedures in place to make the property a more inviting place to stop for guests such as yourself.

Don't hesitate to return to the Super 8 in Middletown, NY so you can experience the difference.

Many thanks again,
Lisa Wolgamuth
Also consider these accommodations in or near Middletown
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Middletown
HOME2 Suites by Hilton Middletown
Hampton Inn by Hilton Middletown
Holiday Inn Middletown
Holiday Inn Middletown
#5 of 9 in Middletown
Courtyard by Marriott Middletown
Comfort Inn &; Suites Goshen / Middletown

Been to Super 8 Middletown? Share your experiences!