“Big difference!!!!”
Review of Super 8 Middletown

Super 8 Middletown
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Middletown
Reviewed December 11, 2009

Not sure what was happening prior to my stay. but my husband and I were pleased with our stay. the staff was very pleasant. Room was very clean. I was to understand from looking at other web sites the hotel was full of homeless people. if in fact that was true, we did'nt see them. Keep up the good work.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
MiddBanta11, General Manager at Super 8 Middletown, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2011

I'd like to take this moment to thank you for your post from your December 2009 stay at the Super 8 in Middletown, NY. While I was not yet on property, I'd like to think that the hotel's ownership was working on the problems that other guests had experienced previous to then.

We will continue to work on items other guests found as shortcomings and reinforce those positive actions that make a significant impact on our guests. Thanks again.

Looking forward to you stopping by again.

Happy Travels,

Reviewed October 5, 2008

This motel was so old I was shocked that they had the nerve to change $80.00 a night! The carpets are run down, there are roaches, I had to change rooms 4 times because something in each room was broken. My wife and I also witnessed a heavyset black woman (who we were told was the "manager") using every curse word you can think of in a lobby full of people, some being children. I will never ever stay here again. I have been to other Super 8 Motels that were very nice, and this one was like a roach motel. Very dirty and run down, not worth the money. Stay away!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank freqtraveler21

I'd like to apologize for the fact that you experienced a poor guest experience. During my short time with the hotel, I've placed a high priority on both cleanliness within the hotel and a professional manner with which my staff must act.

It would be an honor to have you return to our hotel and experience the positive changes we've put in place. Please consider this invitation when making your next travel decision to the Middletown, NY area.

Reviewed October 28, 2007

This place is party centeral for the teens. This hotel is not afraid to tell you at check in that the cops will be called if there are any problems (even if you are not a teen), Not my idea of a welcome and thanks for choosing us. Hotel is however pretty clean, very reasonably priced and Dominos delivers for free. Overall, was not horrible, but could have lived without the cops banging down the neighbors door at 3 am, guess they do not hesitate to call the police as stated earlier.

• Stayed: August 2003, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of the Super 8 in Middletown, NY with other travellers. We appreciate that you could offer honest feedback regarding the things we were doing well and the areas in which we could strive for improvement.

Fortunately, the general environment at the hotel has changed and our staff recognizes the need for the property to provide a safe & comfortable stay for all guests. Resolving issues that arise in a swift and professional manner goes a long way in deterring the unruly guest from disturbing other travellers. We've set new procedures in place to make the property a more inviting place to stop for guests such as yourself.

Don't hesitate to return to the Super 8 in Middletown, NY so you can experience the difference.

Many thanks again,

Reviewed July 3, 2007

Tried to check in early but was told to come back in an hour (2:30). Came back at 3:30 and was told room was not ready. Checkin was supposed to be 3pm. I told the friendly front desk woman that we had to be somewhere and she came up with 2 rooms. The hallways remained dirty for the whole stay and the 2 rooms that were given to us were not acceptable. They smelled and were still somewhat dirty. The foriegn maid quickly (lousily) cleaned the original rooms and we stayed in those although I was tempted to try somewhere else but we had no time to do this. Had to get some towels as the ones that were there looked used and rehung. ICK. Beds were clean and confortable. Behind beds was ugly. My throat hurt for 2 days after this stay. Won't go back and possibly will stay away from this brand all together.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank mikden

I was sorry to hear that your stay was less than satisfactory back in July 2007. I've only been at the property for the last few months and am confident in stating that our guest rooms are ready by the standard check-in time of 3:00pm and more often than not, early arrivals can enjoy getting into a room sooner should their itineraries have them arrive sooner than expected.

Also, while missteps occasionally occur, our housekeeping staff has consistently delivered a clean guestroom product to guests since I've arrived on property.

Please consider staying with us again and making good on our guest service and hotel product. Many thanks for your candid feedback, we feel that it can only help us to serve guests like yourself even better in the future.

Reviewed February 6, 2007

Due to a death in the family, we were on short notice and short money. We needed to pay for two room for four nights and this one appeared the best value. We were wrong. All rooms were suppose to be non smoking, however apparently not the hallways since the stench of cigarette smoke seeped under the door and filled the room. The tub in our bathroom had a large crack in it which was covered with "gorilla glue" which left a white tub with a large yellowed sticky mess that sank down when you stepped in the tub. Bathroom only had 1 1/2 rolls of "John Wayne" toilet paper, the type that is tough of heck and and takes no (---) off anyone.The shower in the second room only sprayed a light mist. There was no vanity in either the bathroom or outside the bathroom so there was no place to put a shaving kit or anything else. We needed an ironing board to freshen our clothing for the funeral,however they only provided a small table top style. The bed was hard as a rock to the point when I woke up the first morning and every day after, I felt as if my hip was broken or severly bruised from sleeping on my side. The floor would have been softer but it was too dirty to sleep on let alone walk on without slippers. The pillows were virtually non existant and had to be folded into three's in order to put any support under my neck. Had to use my bathrobe for more support under pillow. In the second room the television only had one working channel while we were lucky, we had seven out of thirteen channels. The walls and ceiling (2 story) was thin enough to hear everything that went on upstairs or next door. The front desk clerk did not know anything about their wi-fi and couldn't even advise if a password was needed. The "continential" breakfast consisted of donuts and coffee and juice which was in a tiny room that was in the middle of being painted. There was dust and paint debris all over the counter with the food. The exit doors from the hallways to outside did not lock even though there was a key swipe installed for security. The handicap door opener did not work and the door had to be manually opened. Will NEVER stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Florida-girl-7

I can appreciate your frustration with the stay you experienced in February 2007. At the same time, I'm pleased to inform you that the hotel has come a long way in making improvements to our service and product offerings - changes that our guests have asked for and deserve.

To name a few:
* an ample and well-balance breakfast offering, part of Super 8's Superstart breakfast (includes hot & cold cereal, coffee, tea, juices, muffins and bagels. More efficient staffing allows for the breakfast room to be clean and well-stocked during our 3-hour offering. More changes to come!
* Free wireless internet in guest rooms and public areas
* over 60 channels, including HBO
* full-size ironing boards available
* well-maintained guestroom facilities, of course

Also, we're working on a better allocation/placement of guestrooms for smokers & non-smokers alike.

Please consider making the Super 8 in Middletown, NY your stopover choice in the future, we love to have you give us another chance. Call the hotel at 845.692.5828 and ask for me personally - I'd be happy to make your next reservation.

Regards,

Reviewed July 22, 2006

We were returning to Canada from a U.S. holiday, and picked this town as a reasonable distance for our day's driving, with a reasonable price. For what they offer, the price should be much lower.
Part of the parking lot is a construction site, but that's presumably temporary.
More permanently, the (Non-smoking) room REEKED of smoke and/or mold. The carpet (from age or, incredibly from its appearance, cleaning) was in folds and humps all over the room. The bathroom fixtures looked ready to expire from old age, as did the blankets. The continental breakfast was stale doughnuts & coffee.
For the same price, we had spent the previous night in a Red Roof in PA with a pool & a clean, fresh room, and the next night in a Motel 6 in Bangor which was basic, but clean & comfortable--you weren't afraid to put your foot on the bathroom floor.
We aren't wealthy, & don't expect luxury, but we do travel fairly often, & this is the worst Super 8 I've ever seen.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with friends
3  Thank centralNFLD

As the recently appointed leadership at the property, I'd like to acknowledge that your past stay as a series of missteps in a guest service experience. The Super 8 in Middletown, NY has made significant strides in its product offerings and service. For example, our parking lot is well-maintained and well-lit, the continental breakfast is well-rounded and we continually look for items that make sense for our various guests' needs.

Our property improvement plan takes into account carpeting, bedding and linen replacements and upgrades as occupancy allows. We're in the process of revamping placement of smoking/non-smoking rooms to accommodate the distinct preferences of travelers staying at our hotel.

Please consider stopping over with us again in Middletown, NY on trips that take you through the area to/from Canada.

Safe travels,

Reviewed January 18, 2006

HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE!!This was the WORST hotel I have ever stayed in! It was dirty, smelly and if it hadn't been so late and we were so tired we would have cancelled our reservation.

The worst came the next morning when the people at the front desk got their paperwork all messed up and thought we were SQUATTERS in the room! It was about 8 am on a Sunday morning and my husband was in the shower. I wasn't dressed yet either when 3 people started to ferociously POUND on the door screaming GET OUT OF THIS ROOM! I was scared out of my wits. I asked who they were and they screamed OPEN THIS DOOR! I refused thinking that it was some sort of a break in! I was hysterical thinking that they were criminals. My husband didn't hear it because he was in the shower. They kept pounding on the door and demanding that I open it. They said that this room was not supposed to be occupied and we had no right to be in there! When I told them we were paying guests they still kept banging on the door. Then all of a sudden one of them had a master key and started to unlock the door! A large man's arm was inside the door trying to unlock it and I screamed and slammed the door on him! I didn't care that I'd hurt him! At that point I thought our safety was at issue! He yelled in pain and pulle his arm out of the room. I told them I was going to call the police. My husband finally heard all this and came to my aid and called the front desk for help. A woman answered. She claimed that the night clerk had not done her paperwork correctly and they thought we were vagrants! How irresponsible and dreadful!

We dressed and left the room as soon as possible to check out. The manager never offered an apology claiming that our room was "Off Line" and it should not have been offered to us in the first place. That wasn't our fault, we didn't pick the room! We were paying guests. They treated us horribly and kept telling us that they had every right to enter our room because they thought we had not paid for it! All they had to do was to check their paperwork or in the very least called us and asked us to come down to the front desk to straighten this out. They had no right to try to break into our room with us protesting. They could have given an older couple a heart attack! We were further shocked that when we complained to their corporate offices we got no satisfaction at all! They just referred us back to the same --- manager who did not give a hoot or an apology. We will NEVER EVER STAY at a Super 8 Motel again! NEVER, NEVER, NEVER!!!

• Stayed: September 2003
7  Thank LaGenealogista

I deeply apologize for the experience you encountered during your stay at the Super 8 in Middletown, NY in January 2006. There has been a much needed change to personnel since then, ensuring that guests, or even those in question, would never be treated so abruptly. While errors may occur, our guest service approach in today's hotel environment is handled much more professionally and respectfully.

Again, I apologize for your unfortunate encounter and would hope that you might reconsider staying at the Super 8 in Middletown, NY again. If you do, please bring this note to my staff's attention as I would like the opportunity to personally introduce myself to you.

Respectfully,