“Can't expect too much for what it costs.”

Howard Johnson Hotel Middletown
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Middletown
Reviewed July 26, 2012

I hadn't been to this hotel in 19 years and was disappointed to see that nothing and I mean nothing had been redone in that time. Same carpets, same wallpaper, same comforters on the beds. The 2 best things about this motel are the girls at the front desk who are quite helpful and friendly and the Perkins Restaurant attached. Otherwise, a huge disappointment. I'm glad my reason for being in town meant I spent very, very little time in the room.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
MiddBanta11, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel Middletown, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2012

Thank you for your candid feedback. I recognize that it can be frustrating to re-visit a property that doesn't appear to keep up with current trends in decor and services. Ownership has begun working on a master plan will include many modifications, but we're asking that our guests be as patient as possible - such large investment takes time to plan properly. We have introduced new bedding in guest rooms and hope to add some additional interim amenities in the meantime.

Hope you continue to stay with us as your travels into the area dictate.

Howard Johnson Hotel - Middletown, NY
845.342.5822

Reviewed June 28, 2012

I stayed here last year (June 2011) and then read the reviews. I should have read them first and then gone some where else. I, like everyone else, have a tight budget. This hotel is certainly budget friendly. I did stay here again just last week. Stayed for a few days on a leisurely trip with my fiance. The pool that was under contruction last year, STILL is not finished and doesn't look like it has had any further work done to it. We were upgraded to the only suite they had because the person they had in our room decided they were staying longer. Only half of the AC Unit worked and mind you it was 97 degrees for the entire time we were there. They also have people who live there. One lady, two doors down, has 4 dogs that love to bark. The Super 8 that is in the same parking lot, doesn't look very welcoming either. If you are staying ONE night, it's tolerable. If you are staying longer, they don't change the sheets, they don't vacuum and the clean towels didn't look very clean.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded July 1, 2012

Dear Traveller:
I know from your review that I had responded directly to your concerns regarding your recent stay. Again, I am sorry that the water conservation program collateral was missing from your room indicating the program that we support as a Wyndham property. I was disappointed that the vacuuming wasn't done along with the basic daily housekeeping services that should have been addressed and I have alerted the maintenance team to the partially working A/C unit. Like you, we are eagerly awaiting further developments on the pool renovation - this capital undertaking by the owners is at their discretion. Please accept my apologies for these things that took away from your overall stay. My team and I will continue to work on issues that are in our direct control.

Howard Johnson - Middletown, NY

Reviewed June 7, 2012

bad room that reeks of cigarettes and the bathtub had cigarette burns all over. this was supposed to be a non smoking room! there was also a large stain on the carpet by the window.One of the worst rooms I have ever stayed in.

Room Tip: go else where
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
MiddBanta11, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel Middletown, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2012

Thank you for your candid feedback. I have begun implementing a number of solutions to this problem that my entire staff will be involved with. From the use of more effective cleaning products and procedures from housekeeping & maintenance to better room inventory management by our front desk staff - we will minimize the negative impact of being a hotel that still allots some smoking rooms to our guests. I hope you will consider utilizing our hotel again in order to have a more satisfactory stay. Thank you in advance for allowing us to be your host hotel in the future.

Safe travels to you this summer.

Reviewed May 29, 2012

I have to agree with some of the other reviews that Perkins is one of the best reasons to stay here. The rooms are comfortable and it is a decent location if you're heading to the NY Renn Faire in Tuxedo. My husband and I have been traveling to this hotel for 3 years now for the Faire. We find it to be a comfortable stay. It is a great place for a budget (hotels.com works with them) too.

Room Tip: If you want a non-smoking room, be sure to ask for it.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends

Thank you for your comments. We are pleased to be able to meet your needs. Our hopes re to continue to working on those things in our control and to enchance services moving forward. Thank you for placing your business with us.

See you again!

Howard Johnson Hotel - Middletown

Reviewed March 17, 2012

This hotel is very low budget. There are people who stay there months at a time because it's a little cheaper than other hotels around. But not by much if you shop around you will see for yourself. The only positive thing i would say is that there is a Perkins restaurant right by it. I think it's even connected. If you don't care about how the hotel looks , then this might be okay for you. Personally for me, I found a better place about 5 min. for my next trip out to Middletown. They also quoted me a different price on the phone then when i got there. I ended up paying more than what i was told. That was disappointing.

Room Tip: Rooms farther to the restaurant are quieter.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Ritzi
MiddBanta11, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel Middletown, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2012

Please accept my apologies for not meeting all of your needs during your recent stay. I hope we were able to resolve any billing issues you encountered. For the local market, we do feel that the hotel still provides a good value for our guests. Plans for the hotel in the coming 1-2 years will have us offering a much brighter look and better services for all travellers who choose our property.

Hope you check back with us in the future.

Regards,

Reviewed February 17, 2012

I stayed here with my family this is the worst hojo we ever stayed at people banging on other peoples doors the smell of pot in the hall ways creepy people walking around smelled moldy the rooms are dated they need an upgrade but the room was clean we stayed the weekend the house keepers we had were very nice i had the pleasure of meeting 2 of them one was a short spanish girl asked her name but she didn't understand me cause she just looked at me and smiled and the other house keeper we had was a white woman when asked her name she said my name is stephanie sir they were very well mannered and cleaned the room well while we were in the room but other than that the hotel sucked you have to give towels to get towels not enough pillows and the pillows that are there are so old they r like sleeping on rocks but again when we asked the girls from house keeping for extra pillows they gave them to us so

Room Tip: Your choice
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Lenny k

I am sorry to hear that we fell very short of meeting your expectations. While I'm pleased to hear that our service staff was pleasant and responsive, I understand we still have plenty of work to do at ensuring that no one guest of the hotel is in some way interfering with the comfort level of any other guest staying with us. We are in the process of revitalizing our guest rooms and hope that the changes in store for the hotel in the next 1-2 years will be a welcome addition to the Middletown hotel market for future travellers.

Best Regards,

Reviewed November 14, 2011

The rooms were clean but it was a section 8 hotel. We stayed one night and in the morning the manager in the Perkins next door, told us that someone got shot in the hotel that night. When the car service picked us up he asked us if we heard about the shooting. It was very disturbing news. I do not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: My room on the ground floor was fine.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank brooklyngirl56

I apologize that you may have been subject to some local media hype surrounding the circumstances of any criminal activity that may have occurred in the hotel's vicinity during your stay. The fact of the matter is that there was not a shooting in the hotel, but an incident occurred near the hotel that involved a guest of a function at the hotel and the hotel staff has done all that they could to assist the local authorities in their investigation. It's unfortunate that some of the details regarding the situation were not known by the individuals who provided you with partial information.

The hotel has surveillance systems in place and have planned some staff training that will better equip my team to continue to provide a safe environment for all of our guests.