“Middle of the road - in every way. Bring good ear plugs.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Middletown

Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Middletown
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Middletown
New England
“Middle of the road - in every way. Bring good ear plugs.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2008

I got a very good rate on the Microtel Web site - better than calling the property or any of the big name travel Web sites that manage to add a small fee.

First the good news -- the hotel is 100% smoke-free. The location is convenient (right off I-84 and Route 17), and the staff was very friendly. That's where the good news stops, unfortunately.

I was traveling solo while en route to pick up my kids at camp. I paid $80 for the night (tax included). While this was a reasonable rate, this was one of the most poorly built hotels I have ever stayed in. You can hear EVERY last sound. When any doors along the same hallway close, you not only hear it, but FEEL it too. Conversations in the next room over sound like they're in bed with you - and they were not being loud.

The staff was friendly and helpful. I finally had my room moved, but the new room was a handicapped access room, and the shower did not work properly. I'm not disabled, except for operating this one shower! There was no way to hang up the showehad, as the track hook was missing. You wind up sitting down and taking the shower while holding the shower head in one hand. Of course the bathroom has now been sprayed while waiting for the tempature to adjust.

It may be a clean, newer hotel with a very friendly desk staff, but the noise level was unacceptable, and I left no more refreshed than if I had stayed up all night.

I supplied the chain with this same review on their survey. I will be interesting to see if they reply.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Noise - you will hear and feel every sound, especially doors closing.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2008

Very nice exterior and interior. Rooms very clean, comfortable. Bed was extra comfortable unlike most motels/hotels. Very nice sheets and comforter. Were not stingy with towls always gave more than enough hand towls ect... Bathroom also clean. The guy at the front desk was very nice and accommodating. Rates were great. Especially the discount they gave my husband for the line of work he does!!
Only one problem was everytime a door would shut it was quite loud. Other than that i would recommend this hotel!

• Liked — value
  • Disliked — could not smoke in room
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2008

After deciding that driving through the night to Ohio was not a good idea, I booked a room at this Microtel for myself, my husband, my parents and our small dog. I had never been to a Microtel before, and quite frankly, never considered staying there. However, my husband had stayed at one and liked it so we gave it a shot.

I was quite surprised at how nice it was for a cheaper hotel chain. It looked exactly like the Marriott next door that was $125 more a night! The front desk staff member was quite pleasant despite it being 3 in the morning. She even put up with my dad's horrible jokes (which are even worse at that hour!). Our room was large enough for the four of us. It definitely served its purpose of being a place for us to spend the night. I would eagerly stay at a Microtel again after this experience.

• Liked — Price, close location to highway
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
southern new jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2008

We had intended to stay three nights but checked out after one. It's the only time we have ever done that. The noise was incredible - not from other patrons intentionally but from a poorly made building. Every time a door closed in our hallway, our door shook. The people upstairs walked ALL night back and forth and kept us up. It didn't seem that they were loud, but that the the flooring was so thin it was impossible to not hear them. Apparently this is an ongoing problem since the gal at the front desk had other numbers for other close by hotels and coupons to use to stay at them! We switched to a Hampton Inn and, thankfully, had some peace.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — noise!!!!!!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sweetrain3
upstate NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2008

We stayed at the Microtel in Middletown as a stop-over after a concert at Bethel Woods Performing Arts Center (about 40 miles away). This place met our needs perfectly, at a good price. The convenience couldn't be beat: it's truly right off the highway, at the junction of Routes 84 and 17. An Outback Steakhouse and a TGI Friday's are just steps away. The hotel is still quite new, so the condition is excellent. Everything we saw was extremely clean. Continental breakfast was better than we expected, with hard-boiled eggs, yogurt, and waffles in addition to the usual fare of bagels, donuts, and coffee. My only criticism of this property is that the walls are kind of thin, and conversation in the adjacent room was audible when the A/C cycled off.

• Liked — Very clean, and located right off the highway
  • Disliked — When the A/C wasn't running, I could hear conversation in room next door.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Oakland, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2008

This place is amazing! It could not have been more tidy and clean. The bed was heavenly and the breakfast quite good.
Although it is a suite hotel, there are no utensils or kitchen ware.

• Liked — cleanliness and the comfortable bed
  • Disliked — no kitchen utensils
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
WashingtonDC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2008

Although I had booked a room in advance, when I arrived I was told that the only room left was a handicap-accessible room. The next morning when I complained about the room I was told that I had asked for a handicap room. Instead of believing me (since I am not handicapped why would I reserve a handicap room?) the staff began to argue with me.

I was on the first floor and heard footsteps above me the entire time I was there. Voices from the next room were also very loud. And the sound of water running was as loud as a freight train.

Spend the extra money and stay somewhere else. Trust me, this place is a dive.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Excessive Noise
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank 1002_Miles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Middletown
Hampton Inn Middletown
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Chester - Monroe - Goshen
Hampton Inn Matamoras
Hampton Inn Matamoras
#1 of 2 in Matamoras

Been to Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Middletown? Share your experiences!