“Worth finding”

Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Middletown
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Middletown
Reviewed September 4, 2012

The Middletown area can be difficult to navigate-Routes 84 and 17 intersect there and that creates a number of exits. When you do find this Microtel it is worth the search. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The room was clean and worth the price. New carpets were being installed so they were in great shape. Two suggestions if managment reads this. TVs on top of the clothes area do not make a comfortable location if you watch from the bed. There is a nice handicapped room near parking. The problem is you have to climb a curb to this room.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Courthouse067

Reviewed August 22, 2012

Very clean & Comfortable. Consierge was very cordial & efficient. The front desk clerk allowed us to store some perishable items @ their private refrigerator since our room did not have one.Breakfast was lavish, including fresh fruit.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank ninawebb
gmmicrotelmdltwn, General Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Middletown, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to tell us about your recent stay as well as writing this survey. I am so glad to hear that our staff was able to accommodate you throughout your stay. For future reference, all of our Queen Suites come equipped with a refrigerator and a microwave as well so if you are ever in the area again, give us a call and we’d be happy to get you all set up!

Reviewed August 20, 2012

This hotel is relatively new. The front desk is excellent. I did have to wait but the clerk apologized profusely. Our room was impecably clean. the bed was comfortable. The room is quite spare with two queen beds and one straight chair. The television set was up pretty high on top of the armoire. since we were only sleeping there and spent our time elsewhere, we had nothing to complain about. The coffee in the breakfast room was quite good. Breakfast was adequate. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: We chose a room with two queen beds because the reservationist told me that it was larger than the r...
2  Thank Carkle

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am glad to hear that you had a pleasant stay while in the Middletown area. For a hotel with limited amenities, we work hard to make sure that our staff is cordial and our rooms are spotless. If you plan on visiting us again, feel free to call us directly and we can get you a great rate!

Reviewed August 10, 2012

My husband and I booked this hotel for 3 nights the first weekend in August in order for us to attend a family picnic at the Bull Stone House in Campbell Hall, NY as well as make a day trip to NYC. There are 2 other chain hotels next door to this one but because they were more costly per night, we decided to save the money and stay at Microtel as we believed it would meet our needs. Beds are comfy, breakfast is adequate, location is very good.

I will state that there were major customer service issues during our stay, but the manager made it right the day we checked out.

The first issue was the lack of ANY cleaning of our room after leaving for the day after our first night. We had checked into a first floor room on Friday at 3:30. We left Saturday morning at 9:30 a.m. and returned prior to supper at 5:00 p.m. Our bed was not made, our bathroom still had the used towels in it, the trash had not been emptied, the tip for the housekeeping was still on the bathroom counter. As we likely knew that the staff was not coming to clean our room at that hour, my husband took our dirty towels out to the check in desk and retrieved clean ones. The staff explained that they thought there was a computer error in their system as to why our room was not cleaned. Wouldn't it be reasonable that upon check in and room assignment, they would know what rooms are all occupied and which ones are not? Shouldn't there be a back up to the computer system? What if they gave our room to another guest or if there was a fire or other emergency? Don't you want a fail safe system for safety reasons alone?

On Sunday, we took a 5:20 a.m. train to NYC for the day. The taxi was waiting to take us to the train station at 5 a.m. and I approached the desk to comment to the staff that we were leaving for the day and would appreciate our room being attended to. Since there was no one at the desk, I stood there for a minute and when a gentleman came in through the front door of the hotel, I asked him if he was one of the staff and his body language indicated that he was offended at my question. He stuck his chest out, pointed to his name tag on his shirt pocket to signal that yes, he was a staff member. I said I was sorry but I also thought to myself, you're not behind the desk where we would expect you to be, your dressed in a shirt and tie but that could be anyone couldn't it? The name tag was visible once he pointed it out but not initially upon his entering the building. Customer service - wouldn't it have been just as effective for answering this guest's question by stating, "Yes, how can I help you?" and then grumble to the other staff about the rude guest behind a closed door afterwards. Had our room been made up the day before, there would not have been any need for me to say anything, right? We were pleased and very relieved when we returned late Sunday night that our room had been cleaned.

Our last morning prior to check out, my husband encountered a problem with the orange juice machine at breakfast. When he mentioned it to the breakfast attendant, she told him "there's nothing wrong with the machine." My husband said, "let me show you." and upon him showing her that yes, it wasn't working, she investigated and found that there was a kink in the hose. Again, customer service. Wouldn't it have been just as easy for the attendant to say, "ok, sir I'll check it." rather than arguing with a guest?

I took the time to speak with both the manager as well as a coworker who were both behind the desk after we settled our bill. I very quietly and calmly shared with both of them the importance of customer service and how any of these situations could've been easily addressed without offending guests. I offered that any of us (including myself working in a pharmacy) have our own personal daily challenges with dealing with the public, but is that a good reason for being rude and neglectful to your paying hotel guests? I shared with the two of them that my husband and I attended the William Bull and Sarah Wells Stone House picnic near Goshen, NY on Saturday with 525 Bull "cousins" in attendance. With that event going on, why wouldn't this particular Microtel want all the business from that local attraction alone?

I offered the recommendation that his staff watch a few episodes of Hotel Impossible on the Travel channel to motivate his staff for better customer service. I also mentioned that there are a lot of people out there looking for employment that probably would jump at a chance to work at this hotel without being rude to their customers.

While neither of us expected it, the manager discounted one night's cost of our 3 night stay. Wouldn't the hotel prefer to have all of the money from all 3 nights of our stay with a little bit of politeness and courtesy from the staff to their guests? Won't you go out of business if you have to keep discounting hotel guests stay from your staff's rudeness? How does that help anyone in keeping there jobs when that continues to be a problem nationwide? There's no reason I can think of to not have this property fully booked year round with a little staff motivation in handling various situations. You don't have to become a rug for a guest to wipe their feet on in order to offer a smile and a little common courtesy.

4  Thank Quinnfuzzymom
Reviewed August 9, 2012

We booked this hotel for two nights through Priceline, got a great rate, to do some birding at Bashakill. Great location 30 minutes from Woodbury Commons, 20 minutes to Bashakill, walk to restaurants, five minute drive to mall, grocery store and movie theater.

Katiria the friendly informative, receptionist checked us in quickly. She explained all the amenities and breakfast hours.. Felt welcome the minute we walked into the newly renovated lobby complete with comfy chairs and a large flat screen TV. Wi-Fi, local and long distance calls, USA today are complimentary as is parking. A guest BBQ was available.

As a result of reading trip advisor reviews we requested a quiet room. The bright, mirrored, clean room had two comfy queen beds, older model small TV (cable including HBO), large window that opened, coffee maker, small frig., microwave, Iron/board, blow dryer and basic toiletries. Air-conditioned worked great. Normal volume conversations can clearly be heard from adjoining rooms. Loud noise can be heard from hall and room above.

Breakfast is served each morning in a warm, welcoming, clean breakfast area. Cereals, instant oatmeal, waffles, hard boiled eggs, yogurts, sliced fruit, assorted breads and pastries, donuts, juices and wonderful fresh bagels. No lines for toaster. 24hr. coffee and an ample tea selection. Fresh juicy peaches were served as the afternoon treat. Oh so yummy!

The refrigerator in our room was unplugged while we were out for the day. When we arrived and prepared to have dinner we discovered our dinner had spoiled. This was reported to James Carroll the front desk office Manager and he addressed this issue promptly, professionally and to our satisfaction.

I would recommend this hotel but urge Microtel to investigate the acoustic issue in this otherwise great establishment.

4  Thank Gershwin12
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Very comfortable place to stay, clean and up to date. The beds were great. Price was decent as well. BUT!!!! Lousy free breakfast with little varity. There was a line just to use the stupid toaster. We went out to breakfast instead of dealing with that mess. If the breakfast was as good as lets say the Holiday inn, then I would have rated it 5 circles.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank michael s
gmmicrotelmdltwn, General Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Middletown, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2012

We are so pleased you enjoyed your recent stay with us and thank you for taking the time to write a review. We have recently upgraded our toaster and added an additional one to eliminate this issue all together. Our breakfast includes many choices such as hard boiled eggs, fresh fruit, pastries, bagels and hot and cold cereal. We try to offer as much as possible to accommodate all our guests. We look forward to seeing you here again with us very soon!

Reviewed July 12, 2012

I wasn't thinking when the name of the hotel was Microtel. The rooms were extremely small. The hotel was OK. If there is a choice between this hotel or the other two directly across the street, pick the ones across the street.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
gmmicrotelmdltwn, Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Middletown, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2012

Thank you for taking this opportunity to comment on your recent stay. I'm glad to hear your stay went well and would like to suggest one of our larger rooms on your next visit. Our double rooms and suites are much larger than our single rooms giving you ample room to spread out. We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you again in the future!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Middletown
Sleep Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn &; Suites Goshen / Middletown
Holiday Inn Middletown
Holiday Inn Middletown
#6 of 9 in Middletown

Been to Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Middletown? Share your experiences!