“Clean and Spare”

Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Middletown
Cincinnati
“Clean and Spare”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

This hotel is relatively new. The front desk is excellent. I did have to wait but the clerk apologized profusely. Our room was impecably clean. the bed was comfortable. The room is quite spare with two queen beds and one straight chair. The television set was up pretty high on top of the armoire. since we were only sleeping there and spent our time elsewhere, we had nothing to complain about. The coffee in the breakfast room was quite good. Breakfast was adequate. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: We chose a room with two queen beds because the reservationist told me that it was larger than the r...
2 Thank Carkle
gmmicrotelmdltwn, General Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Middletown, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am glad to hear that you had a pleasant stay while in the Middletown area. For a hotel with limited amenities, we work hard to make sure that our staff is cordial and our rooms are spotless. If you plan on visiting us again, feel free to call us directly and we can get you a great rate!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Rochester, New York
Reviewed August 10, 2012

My husband and I booked this hotel for 3 nights the first weekend in August in order for us to attend a family picnic at the Bull Stone House in Campbell Hall, NY as well as make a day trip to NYC. There are 2 other chain hotels next door to this one but because they were more costly per night, we decided to save the money and stay at Microtel as we believed it would meet our needs. Beds are comfy, breakfast is adequate, location is very good.

I will state that there were major customer service issues during our stay, but the manager made it right the day we checked out.

The first issue was the lack of ANY cleaning of our room after leaving for the day after our first night. We had checked into a first floor room on Friday at 3:30. We left Saturday morning at 9:30 a.m. and returned prior to supper at 5:00 p.m. Our bed was not made, our bathroom still had the used towels in it, the trash had not been emptied, the tip for the housekeeping was still on the bathroom counter. As we likely knew that the staff was not coming to clean our room at that hour, my husband took our dirty towels out to the check in desk and retrieved clean ones. The staff explained that they thought there was a computer error in their system as to why our room was not cleaned. Wouldn't it be reasonable that upon check in and room assignment, they would know what rooms are all occupied and which ones are not? Shouldn't there be a back up to the computer system? What if they gave our room to another guest or if there was a fire or other emergency? Don't you want a fail safe system for safety reasons alone?

On Sunday, we took a 5:20 a.m. train to NYC for the day. The taxi was waiting to take us to the train station at 5 a.m. and I approached the desk to comment to the staff that we were leaving for the day and would appreciate our room being attended to. Since there was no one at the desk, I stood there for a minute and when a gentleman came in through the front door of the hotel, I asked him if he was one of the staff and his body language indicated that he was offended at my question. He stuck his chest out, pointed to his name tag on his shirt pocket to signal that yes, he was a staff member. I said I was sorry but I also thought to myself, you're not behind the desk where we would expect you to be, your dressed in a shirt and tie but that could be anyone couldn't it? The name tag was visible once he pointed it out but not initially upon his entering the building. Customer service - wouldn't it have been just as effective for answering this guest's question by stating, "Yes, how can I help you?" and then grumble to the other staff about the rude guest behind a closed door afterwards. Had our room been made up the day before, there would not have been any need for me to say anything, right? We were pleased and very relieved when we returned late Sunday night that our room had been cleaned.

Our last morning prior to check out, my husband encountered a problem with the orange juice machine at breakfast. When he mentioned it to the breakfast attendant, she told him "there's nothing wrong with the machine." My husband said, "let me show you." and upon him showing her that yes, it wasn't working, she investigated and found that there was a kink in the hose. Again, customer service. Wouldn't it have been just as easy for the attendant to say, "ok, sir I'll check it." rather than arguing with a guest?

I took the time to speak with both the manager as well as a coworker who were both behind the desk after we settled our bill. I very quietly and calmly shared with both of them the importance of customer service and how any of these situations could've been easily addressed without offending guests. I offered that any of us (including myself working in a pharmacy) have our own personal daily challenges with dealing with the public, but is that a good reason for being rude and neglectful to your paying hotel guests? I shared with the two of them that my husband and I attended the William Bull and Sarah Wells Stone House picnic near Goshen, NY on Saturday with 525 Bull "cousins" in attendance. With that event going on, why wouldn't this particular Microtel want all the business from that local attraction alone?

I offered the recommendation that his staff watch a few episodes of Hotel Impossible on the Travel channel to motivate his staff for better customer service. I also mentioned that there are a lot of people out there looking for employment that probably would jump at a chance to work at this hotel without being rude to their customers.

While neither of us expected it, the manager discounted one night's cost of our 3 night stay. Wouldn't the hotel prefer to have all of the money from all 3 nights of our stay with a little bit of politeness and courtesy from the staff to their guests? Won't you go out of business if you have to keep discounting hotel guests stay from your staff's rudeness? How does that help anyone in keeping there jobs when that continues to be a problem nationwide? There's no reason I can think of to not have this property fully booked year round with a little staff motivation in handling various situations. You don't have to become a rug for a guest to wipe their feet on in order to offer a smile and a little common courtesy.

4 Thank Quinnfuzzymom
Forest Hills, New York
Reviewed August 9, 2012

We booked this hotel for two nights through Priceline, got a great rate, to do some birding at Bashakill. Great location 30 minutes from Woodbury Commons, 20 minutes to Bashakill, walk to restaurants, five minute drive to mall, grocery store and movie theater.

Katiria the friendly informative, receptionist checked us in quickly. She explained all the amenities and breakfast hours.. Felt welcome the minute we walked into the newly renovated lobby complete with comfy chairs and a large flat screen TV. Wi-Fi, local and long distance calls, USA today are complimentary as is parking. A guest BBQ was available.

As a result of reading trip advisor reviews we requested a quiet room. The bright, mirrored, clean room had two comfy queen beds, older model small TV (cable including HBO), large window that opened, coffee maker, small frig., microwave, Iron/board, blow dryer and basic toiletries. Air-conditioned worked great. Normal volume conversations can clearly be heard from adjoining rooms. Loud noise can be heard from hall and room above.

Breakfast is served each morning in a warm, welcoming, clean breakfast area. Cereals, instant oatmeal, waffles, hard boiled eggs, yogurts, sliced fruit, assorted breads and pastries, donuts, juices and wonderful fresh bagels. No lines for toaster. 24hr. coffee and an ample tea selection. Fresh juicy peaches were served as the afternoon treat. Oh so yummy!

The refrigerator in our room was unplugged while we were out for the day. When we arrived and prepared to have dinner we discovered our dinner had spoiled. This was reported to James Carroll the front desk office Manager and he addressed this issue promptly, professionally and to our satisfaction.

I would recommend this hotel but urge Microtel to investigate the acoustic issue in this otherwise great establishment.

4 Thank Gershwin12
Oceanside, New York
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Very comfortable place to stay, clean and up to date. The beds were great. Price was decent as well. BUT!!!! Lousy free breakfast with little varity. There was a line just to use the stupid toaster. We went out to breakfast instead of dealing with that mess. If the breakfast was as good as lets say the Holiday inn, then I would have rated it 5 circles.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank michael s
gmmicrotelmdltwn, General Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Middletown, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
We are so pleased you enjoyed your recent stay with us and thank you for taking the time to write a review. We have recently upgraded our toaster and added an additional one to eliminate this issue all together. Our breakfast includes many choices such as hard boiled eggs, fresh fruit, pastries, bagels and hot and cold cereal. We try to offer as much as possible to accommodate all our guests. We look forward to seeing you here again with us very soon!
Reviewed July 12, 2012 via mobile

I wasn't thinking when the name of the hotel was Microtel. The rooms were extremely small. The hotel was OK. If there is a choice between this hotel or the other two directly across the street, pick the ones across the street.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
gmmicrotelmdltwn, Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Middletown, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Thank you for taking this opportunity to comment on your recent stay. I'm glad to hear your stay went well and would like to suggest one of our larger rooms on your next visit. Our double rooms and suites are much larger than our single rooms giving you ample room to spread out. We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you again in the future!
Fallston, MD
Reviewed July 11, 2012

I drove from Baltimore non-stop and arrived at this "hotel" around 11pm to check in on June 15th, 2012. I was exhausted from driving and was looking forward to getting checked-in, settled, check my email and have a nice relaxing sleep. NONE OF THIS HAPPENED. I checked in, was given a room and key card, and this is where it all started. I proceeded to my (1st) room and the room was not bad, but it was directly across from an insanely loud nightclub. I tried to stay positive and thought the air conditioner might mask the noise long enough for me to fall asleep. Well, the A/C didn't work. I called the front desk and talked with the desk manager and he said he would be right up. He did come up and verified that the A/C was not working. He told me he would get me another room and that he would be back. I repacked my things and met him downstairs. (keep in mind this is after I filled the ice bucket, got something to drink, got changed into PJs, etc. I had to get redressed, and repack, etc. So, downstairs I told him I would like ANYTHING on the rear of the building, away from this crazy-loud nightclub with booooooming music. (Even sit behind a car with booming music at a stop light??) I could actually make the songs out from the room. I told him I would pay for ANY ROOM, ANY SIZE, suite, double bed, didn't matter, even though it was just me. He told me that he had NOT ONE ROOM available on the back of the facility, even though the parking lot was not full (and yes, I did drive around the facility when I arrived).

He then assigned me to a second room. This room was right below the first room and again was directly across from the Nightclub. I went into the room, got settled, checked the A/C, fetched another bucket of ice, etc. I then started to hear a bunch of noise from the neighbor, sounded like loud talking into a phone, profanity, etc. At this point I packed my things up and proceeded down to the front desk. I told the desk attendant that I was disgusted with the whole experience and was going somewhere else. It was now about 12:15AM and I was exhausted from first the drive and then dealing with all of this nonsense. He pleaded with me to let him get me another room and I was ready to walk out, but I was tired and the last thing I wanted to do was go on a hunt for another room. I should have left!

So, he assigned me to a 3rd room. Even after the unfolding of this entire debacle, he still would not assign me to a room on the back of the facility. I figured at this point I might have had a good chance, but I was wrong. This time he assigned me to a ground floor room, again almost directly across from the nightclub. (In fairness, the desk attendant was professional) At this point it was about 12:45AM until I got in and started to get settled. This room had a very bright light outside of the window, although the room-darkening curtains did seem to block most of it...and at this point I did not have the fight remaining in me. I had to get some sleep because the next day I had a 10 hour event to attend and then had to drive back to Baltimore, directly after the event. I finally got to sleep around 3AM. I did not sleep well at all, if fact I was 1.5 hours late for my event the next morning.

Note - Regarding the rooms, the carpet appeared to be "damp" in two of the rooms, walls are very thin, rooms are small. Old tube type TVs. Wifi speed was not fast. Elevators looked a little worn. In seeing some of the tenants in the hallways, I also got the impression that there are long term occupants in some of their rooms, which was a little strange I have to say. One good thing...Water pressure is good! And, the breakfast bar was not bad.

Upon checking out, I asked to speak with the manager. The current desk attendant (different from the one when I checked in) told me the manager was not there and would be in later. I then explained what had happened (to the new desk attendant) and that I was totally disgusted with the experience. While she did appear to listen with interest, the only thing she would offer is a 10% discount. I told her that I thought that was ridiculous, and again requested for the manager to contact me. I did not hear back from the manager, still to this day.
They sent an automated survey to me by email and I ignored the first request. The system must have automatically sent me another one and I did not respond for about 10 days. I decided to fill it out thinking that someone might actually respond. That was a few weeks ago and I have not heard a thing from anyone! My survey response was accurate, concise and complete, much like this review. I still to this day have not heard a word from this location, their manager or Microtel corporate. Do yourself a favor and avoid this place!

Room Tip: Choose another hotel!!!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. I was concerned to hear of the issues you had during your stay and have taken some time to review with our front desk staff the proper procedures should something like this happen again. James advised he spoke with you and was able to come to an agreeable resolution with which you were happy with. I'm happy to hear we were able to accommodate you. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 26, 2012

We were in the area for a wedding -- checked in, changed and left. Returned to sleep, had breakfast and checked out, so really didn't use the hotel to its potential.
The room was very clean and comfortable, though small, and the breakfast was more than just carbs and coffee -- yogert, fruit, bagles, toast, even a hard boiled egg.
Very convenient location, maybe one minute from Route 84. I would use Microtel for an overnight again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Middletown
HOME2 Suites by Hilton Middletown
Holiday Inn Middletown
#5 of 9 in Middletown
Comfort Inn &; Suites Goshen / Middletown
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Chester - Monroe - Goshen

Been to Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Middletown? Share your experiences!