“Great hotel, excellent location”

Courtyard Middletown
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Middletown
Reviewed August 23, 2007

If you're on your way to the Catskills, this is the place to stay enoute. Located right at the junction of I-84 and Route 17 this is a wonderful property. Restaurants located within walking distance. Friendly staff and big, newly decorated rooms.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank CTYankee06820

Reviewed August 5, 2007

We just returned from 2 nights at this Marriott in Orange County, NY. We chose this hotel as it was the "host hotel" for a wedding. There were actually two hotels which the bridal party chose. The other was the Hampton Inn which they said was nearby. Actually the Hampton basically shares the same parking lot. But, as a Marriott Rewards Member we chose the Marriott.

The quality of the room was up to Courtyard standards. The room was clean and the temperature fine. Luckily the King size bed was on the other side of the room from the air conditioning which meant no drafts. The lighting was not great for reading in bed - that's a problem in most hotels now. There is a coffee maker, small refrigerator and microwave in every room.

The hotel has a small pool (60 feet long at most) and a whirlpool. Also exercise room. The lobby is huge with two free Internet access PCs and lots of reading material. There is also a bar which is open in evenings - but not very busy. There are complimentary coffee and tea in the lobby (though there are coffee pots in every guest room) and free cookies in afternoon. Otherwise just a few snacks for sale. The rest of the "lobby" is the "Breakfast area" and this is part of the weakness here and reason for my downgrading my rating. It is open only from about 7-10 am. But it is breakfast buffet which costs $9.995 per person. I asked if I could buy just a bagel and the woman said it was "about $2.95". Meanwhile, all the guests at the Hampton (which was somewhat cheaper) had a FULL breakfast buffet included in their room rate! (The Hampton has a nice outside pool too; but not an inside one or exercise room like the Courtyard). So this made it impractical unless we want to pay a lot for breakfast. As it was, we ended up driving to the next exit (2 miles- Exit 120 on Route 17) for breakfast at McDonalds' or Friendly's. or some other options). Even waiting until lunch, there was a TGIFriday's and a Chilli's across the parking lot but thaey don't open until 11:30am.

Personally, I think folks expect at least Continental Breakfast at most mid-price hotels. Especially when there are no other options within walking distance. I think the Marriott would score a 5 star rating here if they offered it as part of the room rate. So, if you are planning to use the Courtyard by Marriott (versus the Hampton Inn - which is owned by same franchise operator there) I'd stop and bring in some food and hake breakfast in your room. The $9.95 buffet just isn't worth it. On Saturday morning I only saw 2 people eating it., though on Sunday it seemed busier.

Also, if you are heading west on Rt 17 and arrive at hotel, know that there are many dining options as well as a huge Shopping Mall (indoor) and other shopping centers just 2 miles away at exit 120 (Marriott is at 122).

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank SteveinPhilly
Reviewed April 8, 2007

This hotel is one of the nicest place to stay the staff was very helpful and friendly the housekeepers doin there job cleaning the romm was very pleasant and clean rooms and the hole hotle is is in good shape. I felt very relaxed and peaceful stay at this hotel. I,ll come back again and the price,s for the rooms is average but it is worth the stay.

Stayed: April 2007
2  Thank sabrina41978
Reviewed March 15, 2007

Stayed here for three nights and booked into one of the spa rooms which was really nice and a good price.
Was quite surprised when our room was only cleaned once during the whole stay! Had to ask for more towels and loo paper and although they cleaned it on the day we complain, it was certainly not the service i'd come to expect from a Marriott hotel. To top it all, on the last morning, they were hounding us to get out of the room and where generally rude when challenged.
In summary, nice place and cheap rate but v.poor service and poor customer relations skills so not really worth the effort of staying there.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 30, 2006

Easy check in and nice, clean room with loveseat, king bed, desk and refrigerator. AAA rate of $98 on a saturday night. Usual hearing of door slamming and people walking in the hall, but very dark curtains enabled us to sleep in. Nice large counter in the bathroom. Cleaner than most chain hotels.

We were on our way home from Maine and this was a great option for an overnight stay. Not many choices for breakfast in the area though, so keep that in mind.

This was our first stay at a Courtyard and I'll stay with them again due to this favorable stay.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Richelleh8
Reviewed August 30, 2006

We booked 2 rooms at the Courtyard using Marriott points. The hotel was conveniently located, as we were to visit Vassar College and it's about 45 minutes away. The Courtyard is new and the furnishings were very modern. The front desk staff accommodated our request for adjoining rooms, and the room with two queen beds was extremely large! The refrigerators and microwaves were extra nice. Grab bars in the showers were appreciated as well. The new beds are extremely comfortable! It was everything you could ask for in a more expensive hotel. I would stay here again any time!

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
1  Thank kareberry
Reviewed August 13, 2006

I and my 15 year-old son stayed at this hotel for only 1night. We arrived at 4:00 p.m. to an easy check-in. The room was bigger than I thought it would be. Someone suggested getting a room with 2 queen beds because it was bigger than a king size bed room. I'm not sure if that is true or not, but I did get the 2 queen beds room and it was a nice size. The bathroom was large as well. Everything was very clean and the beds were the most comfortable we've slept in in awhile, as far as hotels go. We were going to a concert nearby in Bethel (about 40 minutes away) and this hotel seemed to be the nicest one that was the closest to the concert. I'm glad we stayed here and not in one of the hotels/motels closer to the concert. A little bit of a farther drive didn't bother me knowing that we were coming back to a clean, comfortable room. Also, there are a few chain restaurants right outside the hotel - almost sharing a parking lot. I think they were Red Robin, TGI Fridays and one other that I can't remember. Also, there is a mall (Galleria, I think the name was) that was a 5 minute drive away which seemed convenient. The on/off of the highway (17) was very convenient as well. I wouldn't say that I'm picky, but I do tend to stay at well-known hotel chains because it's all basically the same hotel at a different location. I was impressed with the overall condition of this hotel and the room and the location only added to its appeal. I would definitely stay here again if I'm back in the area for another concert.

Stayed: August 2006
3  Thank jjsmom
Also consider these accommodations in or near Middletown
Hampton Inn Middletown
Sleep Inn & Suites
#4 of 9 in Middletown
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Chester - Monroe - Goshen
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Middletown

Been to Courtyard Middletown? Share your experiences!