“OK Italian”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I tried Tony Boffa's on a hunch. The place was packed, which should tell you something. The waitstaff was accomodating and polite. The food was good, but not exceptional. They don't take "off the menu" orders. Overall, not bad.

1  Thank Jeff G

Reviewed June 14, 2013

We had been dining at Tony Boffa's for 40 years and it still is one of the best, if not the best, Italian restaurants in the area. There have been several generations of Boofas that have owned and operated the restaurant. Without doubt, it has one of the greatest sauces in the area. At one time the sauce was sold in the supermarkets. The portions are a very good size. I usually order the Veal Siciliano or the Veal Broscioletteni. The Siciliano is enough for dinner and lunch the next day. The Broscioletteni is a good size for dinner. The Siciliano is veal parmigiana and eggplant parmigiana mixed together. The broscioletteni is veal rolled with mozzarella and prosciutto. We always get the side of linguini with the outstanding sauce.

1  Thank Doug F
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I eat out quite often and usually in the Middletown area but today was my first time at Tony Boffa's. I knew it was there but to tell the truth...the area it's in made me wary. After lunch today I certainly wish I had tried it a very long time ago.....First impression was an old school Italian place, older style, Sinatra like music playing in the background, looked pretty clean from what I could see. A waitress came over to seat us and seemed friendly enough so I thought.....how bad can it be??? Well I was pleasantly surprised. The waitress, whose name was Suzie, was great. The food, from tasty little garlic knots, a well seasoned delicious chicken veggie soup, to baked ziti that I am still thinking about, and eggplant parm that made all other eggplant parms hide their head in shame. It was really an enjoyable lunch....very reasonable, friendly and I can't wait to go back again....give it a try for lunch at least....it's a pleasant surprise (don't let the area scare you).

3  Thank bobbilynn11
Reviewed April 9, 2013

The food here is good, the portions are generous, and the prices are reasonable. Unless you have a really huge appetite, you will probably wind up taking part of your dinner home with you.

I am not Italian but my wife is, and she described the food here as being “old school” Italian American – the old standbys, mostly featuring a very tasty red tomato sauce.

The good news starts off with the basket of bread that they put on the table when you are seated. It is sort of a cross between bread and rolls, seasoned very nicely, and really very tasty. In fact, I would like to get their recipe – it’s that good!

We started off with minestrone soup and pasta e fagioli. Both were very good and tasted homemade. The hot antipasto and the fried calamari appetizers were both good, and the portions were larger than we had anticipated.

I ordered chicken francaise, and my wife ordered shrimp francaise. I love a good francaise, and it isn’t something that we normally make at home. Because the sauce can be tricky to make, I consider a francaise to be a good indicator of the quality of the preparation in an Italian restaurant. I was glad that we made the choices that we did, because we both enjoyed our meals. In fact, I would say that the francaise here ranked among the best that I have ever had anywhere. I had ziti with tomato sauce, and my wife had linguine with garlic and oil to accompany our meals,

We both finished off with cappuccino, and again it was prepared very well. The food is mostly excellent here, and the service is friendly and efficient. The food took a while to prepare, but they do have a sign saying that everything is cooked to order, and that good food takes time to prepare properly. No argument there – it was worth the wait! If you want fast food, go to McDonald’s

I can only think of two things that might keep Tony Boffa’s from getting a perfect score. My wife’s pasta with garlic and oil contained garlic that was almost raw. She likes garlic (more than I do), and she said that it would have been better if the garlic had been cooked longer to make it more mellow. Finally, the desserts were just so-so. Not bad, but could have been better. But, they don’t lose points for this, because like most restaurants, they don’t make their own desserts – they just buy them already prepared and bring them in. Boffa’s would be better served by changing their dessert supplier.

In closing, I am glad that we stopped here. Whenever I am in Middletown, I will probably return here to enjoy some good homestyle cooking.

3  Thank PokeYerNose
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I took my sister and brother-in-law here last night and we were delighted. When I arrived there were just a few tables left in the front room (which seemed a bit noisy) so the owner (I suppose) came over and suggested they find a table in the lounge area. I felt right at home and welcomed right from the start.
We had some delicious starters (although the pumpkin ravioli was too much like pumpkin pie for my taste - too sweet) and very hearty main courses. There was way too much to eat but leftovers are quickly boxed to take home. Try the specials – they are excellent.
The service is friendly and efficient (could seem slow to some but for us it was just right and leisurely)
There was a great live singer too.
Next time I am in Middletown I will definitely go back.

2  Thank TSinParis