“Strangers not welcome”

Colonial Diner
Ranked #24 of 184 Restaurants in Middletown
Cuisines: American
Reviewed December 24, 2010

As soon as we stepped into the restaurant, we saw many empty tables, but we had to stand at the door for at least 5 minutes waiting for the hostess to seat us. It was one of those situations where they know you're standing there, but just don't care. After we ordered, the waitress brought us 2 "Pepsi's" to drink but told us we should taste them because she may have mixed them up with someone else's order and given us Dr. Pepper. Our salads were not brought out immediately, but were held and brought with the entire meal. I ordered the roast beef dinner which was ok. My son ordered the hot roast beef sandwich with mashed potatoes and carrots as the vegetable. He could not eat it. They had one cooked slice of roast beef on top of the open faced sandwich which covered several slices of raw meat. It was so raw that the bread it was placed on was actually pink from the blood coming out of the meat. The waitress did no come back to check if everything was alright so I had to call to her to get her attention. She took the plate back to the kitchen and brought out a new plate with cooked beef on it. This plate was only the hot sandwich and potatoes - no carrots for the vegetable which were on the original plate. While we were sitting there we noticed when some "regulars" came in, that they were greeted and seated immediately. One table in particular that came in after us got their food, ate, and were gone before we could even get our check. When I paid the check, the hostess/cashier never said a word except to count out my change - no "how was everything" or even a "thank you". I've eaten at a lot of restaurants over the years, but this one rates with the worst for both service and food quality.

6  Thank 46Dad

Reviewed October 12, 2010

As I don't like to eat at chains while traveling, the desk clerk at the Days Inn recommended Colonial Diner. The menu was large, the service good, & the food tasty. However, it is a diner & crowded & noisy. If you want good enough food but don't care about the atmosphere, this place is fine.

Reviewed September 6, 2009

We stumbled on the Colonial Diner after our GPS took us to two chain restaurants that don't exist any more in Middletown NY, and we were SO glad! The restaurant was recently renovated and sports wonderfully updated, clean, 50s-deco furnishings and lighting. The portions are generous and the food is excellent, with good soups and both hearty and light entrees. I had a shrimp salad that was delightful with big shrimp and just a touch of mayo. The owner and servers were friendly and helpful, and urged us to sit awhile until an evening thunderstorm passed by. It's restaurants like this that make traveling a pleasure.

1  Thank JLinVA