“Authentic except the price”
Review of El Bandito

El Bandito
Ranked #25 of 179 Restaurants in Middletown
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 15, 2014

I have eaten here many times since their opening in the 80's when the only other Mexican food around here was from Taco Bell. Because El Bandito was unique, the prices were bearable. In the interim, I moved to southern Ca. and became familiar with Mexican themed eateries.......they surrounded me.......one better than the other...all authentic and INEXPENSIVE!.....When I returned to NY four years ago and ate at El Bandito once again, I was thrilled with the food....really authentic and varied showcasing many of the dishes I had come to love. .....and still more costly than the menu calls for. There are now more restaurants in our area, especially Rockland, offering the same fare at more realistic prices. I still enjoy a meal here with friends but less often than I would were the final bill less daunting.
A nice meal can be had for less than the steak and chop houses that we think of for evening dining. The menu is by nature less "elegant" and more of a family food restaurant ...no longer a rare treat. Its prices should reflect that.

Reviewed April 7, 2014

I had lunch there recently and found it to be a wonderful experience. The staff was friendly and attentive. The food was great. included with the combination lunch was a quesadilla appetizer, chips and salsa , followed by a yummy desert.. The cost was extremely reasonable. Looking forward to many return visits.

Reviewed March 26, 2014

When we want Mexican food this is one of the restaurant that we patronize. El Bandito has been open since the seventies and still going strong. It must be doing something right. Every time we go for a meal at El Bandito, we are warmly greeted and receive excellent service. The food is very good and the entrees are ample. We like the Mexican decor of the restaurant. The prices are slightly higher than expected but they are still reasonable.

Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

I started to come to Middletown at the age of 13 on my first trip to visit my exchange student family. I can't that was now 20 years ago! Anyway I keep coming back every year since then and this restaurant has vacant sort of a tradition for us. So of course I have lots of great memories here.
But let's get back to the food!
I've always gone for the vegetarian platter and it's delicious!! It's also the favorite dish of my American mom who isn't a vegetarian
Service is good and I love the ambiance. I mean the colorful building itself with all those paintings on the wall just take you far away from Middletown :)
Enjoy!

Reviewed January 1, 2014

I consider myself an aficionado of Mexican food. Just spent a week in Cozumel for the 9th time. this place is nothing great.

Been to El Bandito? Share your experiences!