“Kind of a "Retro" hotel with an awesome staff”
Review of Gateway Inn

Gateway Inn
Gateway Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Merrick
Cincinnati, OH
“Kind of a "Retro" hotel with an awesome staff”
Reviewed September 21, 2008

This was a spur of the moment hotel stay when my friend that I was visiting had the hot water heater go out and I was pleasantly surprised. This hotel could definately use some modernization but overall I was pleased. The rooms were a nice size and VERY clean...I actually stayed in the suite and it was a HUGE couple of rooms for the price.

The front desk staff was very friendly and although I never actually saw the cleaning crew I left and came back and my room was once again immaculate.

The decor of the rooms do kind of remind you of stepping back in to the 70's but I thought that was kind of charming! :)

My only complaint and it's not really a complaint is that this hotel definately needs some new sound proof windows. I had a room overlooking Sunrise Highway and you could hear a lot of "car noise" but even still after a while in the room you learn to tune that out.

Overall my stay here was great and I would stay there again if need be...

• Liked — Clean with friendly staff
  • Disliked — Car Noise from highway
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Montana
Reviewed August 28, 2008

I was very pleased with our overall experience at the Gateway.
I would definitely stay there again. They are in the midst of some room renovations, which are definitely needed, but there wasn't any construction noise while we were there. The front desk, on all shifts, were very helpful and pleasant. The day manager was a very nice guy!
If you aren't familiar with area (which we weren't!), the main advise I would give to anyone staying there is to get a cab from the train station if you are coming in from the airport. Although it is close, pulling luggage and children down the Sunrise Hwy is NOT something I would recommend!!! Also, this is in no way close to the beach if you don't have a car!

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — The age of the bedspreads!!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Edison, New Jersey
Reviewed August 25, 2008

I stayed at the Gateway Inn recently for a concert at Jones Beach. The property sits right on the busy Sunrise Hwy but our room was quiet even though it was on the side facing the highway. I imagine rooms in the back are even quieter. Our room overlooked a peaceful courtyard. The room itself and bathroom were very clean. You cannot beat this location as it is just a few minutes from the Meadowbrook Pkwy and about 15 minutes from Jones Beach. You are also close to what I suppose is downtown Merrick (Merrick Rd) by the train station where there are restaurants - including an Outback Steakhouse -and shops. A 7-eleven is right next door which comes in handy for late night beer and food runs. If you are looking for a safe, clean, cheap, and convenient place to stay, this is it!

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
USA
Reviewed February 23, 2008

The owner of this motel needs to seriously get with the Americans With Disabilities Act. If you are in a wheelchair, do not even think of staying here. There is NO designated handicapped parking, there is only one curb cut, and there is only one handicapped accessible room, which only has one bed. You'll have to pay full price for the second room, if you have more than two in your party. Any handicapped person who travels without an attendant cannot open the doors (they are too heavy and the approach is on a slope, and forget anout having the continental breakfast in the breakfast area. There are stairs. You cannot even check in because the front desk is not accessible.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — The Owner
  • Stayed January 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank WheelerAdvocate
philliadelphia
Reviewed January 30, 2008

i recently stayed at the gateway inn in merrick and it was not pleasent. first the housekeepers spoke not a word of english because i asked them for an extra towel and the girl said no speak english. then mgmnt someone knocked at my door when i was in a lavitory and must have had a key cause the next thing i knew they were in my room. there is alot of youth parties there. i know because i forgot something in my car and there were about 15 teens hanging out in a room. the good things is the overnight staff. one of the desk clerks went out of his way to help me with a heating problem in my room. overall i would not recomend this hotel to anyone who doesn't like alot of noice because thats all i heard was alot of drama.

• Liked — 2 of the front desk people who took care of me
  • Disliked — the room size and the noise
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank travelingguru69
boca raton florida
Reviewed January 28, 2008

I lived in Freeport for 31 yrs. and had seen the gateway on my travels.we moved to fla.but decided to return to LI and needed a place to stay while looking.we decided to stay at the inn since we had seen it and I was very pleasntly surprised.at the time my husband was disabled and they were able to accomdate us with a outside room.they management and staff were more then
helpfull,the breakfast was enough to satisfy,the room and bathroom were clean and overall I would reccomend the inn to my family and friends.

• Liked — the fantastic staff who were able to accomodate my husband who had a disability
  • Disliked — the room does need upgrading a little but room was spotless
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
merrick
Reviewed November 13, 2007

Clean and comfortable
While waiting to close on a house in Merrick, my teenage daughter and I needed a place to stay locally for a couple of nights. Although the Gateway is on busy Sunrise Hwy, it had no impact on the stay-the room was quiet. The room, I must say, was quite dated (could use a good makeover re furniture) but the beds were comfortable and the room was clean; had a sitting area with table, as well. The rooom looked onto a courtyard. One word of caution for the NON SMOKERS--our room was not truly non-smoking as I had asked for (and was told that smokers in non-smoking rooms are charged $100 for the dis-service). I could smell the dank odor of old smoke which I remedied with air spray from a local store.

Also, at first I was concerned about bringing a child to this motel, but was reassured that it was business and family oriented. And sure enough, at breakfast in the lobby area, there were families and business folk. Additionally, the breakfast (included) was more than adequate-bagels, danish, cake , cereals, juice, etc. and the seating area was lovely. - and local newspaper
Overall, a decent experience at a decent price.

Stayed October 2007
1 Thank joan0219
Also consider these accommodations in or near Merrick
Ramada Rockville Centre
Red Roof PLUS+ Long Island
Garden City Hotel
Garden City Hotel
#2 of 4 in Garden City

Been to Gateway Inn? Share your experiences!