“What a great find!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Merrick
Florida
“What a great find!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

Found this hotel on Columbus Day Weekend on busy Long Island after an exhausting search through another hotel staff member who led us to this hotel.

We called the Gateway Inn and spoke to Kevin, who was an absolute angel. Kevin provided us with exact driving directions to the hotel and upgraded us to a beautiful huge room on the first floor. Kevin even assisted us with our luggage out of the car and even brought it up to our room, this is above and beyond amazing service. After a difficult day of travelling, Kevin made us feel welcome and made sure that we were well taken care of. This is what hospitality is all about!

As for the room, it was spotless. Clean, comfortable king size, comfortable sofa, nice desk and huge window that spanned the length of the wall.

The breakfast area was maintained by a very hard working young man who took such attention to his job that it was a delight to see and experience. The area was spotlessly clean and perfectly arranged with the best bagels and bialys that I have ever tasted. There also was an assortment of sweet cakes, juices and coffees that were equally as delicious. All were of a higher caliber than the standard continental fare included in most hotels.

As far as the location, it was great. Situated on Sunrise Highway within easy driving distance to all parts of Long Island and Queens it was ideal. We only spent one night there as we already had reservations elsewhere, but would have liked to have been able to stay another night.

Would we go back to this hotel? YES! Most definitely yes!
Great location, clean rooms, very friendly staff makes this a delightful place to stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Phoenix33

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

I stayed at the Gateway for four nights. The staff and service are top notch - better than I've experienced in many 5-star hotels! It was a pleasant shock to be greeted by name when passing through the lobby. That's the good part.

My room was upstairs, in the rear of the building, which apparently has not been refurbished yet. The room was a "no smoking" (complete with a "smoke and we'll fine you" warning sign), but there was a deeply embedded smoke stench that infiltrated the room. My suitcase stunk of smoke when I checked out! The room itself was fine and perfectly clean, except for the nearly unbearable smell.

Friends stayed in a room in the main building and that was MUCH nicer. It was fresh and clean and exactly what I was expecting when I checked into my "garden room".

They were working on painting the exterior trim while I was there. I'm hoping that this means an interior overhaul of the "non-smoking" rooms is next!

I would stay again but definitely NOT in a "garden room".

Room Tip: Unless you're a smoker, avoid the garden rooms!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Bottombet
usa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

Went to see Jimmy Buffet at Jones Beach last light. Decided to stay in town, we didn't feel like driving 2 hrs back home. I have to agree with all the other positive reviews. Arrived at 11:00 pm. (By the way there's a 7-eleven next door for snacks) Quick service at the desk . In our room in 5 minutes. Agree with some other reviews the rooms aren't modern. But they are super clean. Bed and linens awesome. Left at 8:30 am. Fresh coffee, bagels and coffee cake in the lobby. I'll be staying here next year.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Newtown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

We stay at the Gateway Inn every August while visiting relatives in the area. The Gateway is a gem of a hotel. The staff are terrific, Kevin the Hotel Manager really cares about the guests & the staff and it shows in how the guests in turn treat the guests & each other. Jeremy who oversees the breakfast is attentive; he is always restocking items that are running low. Rooms are clean, updated and thoughtful. For example, we love the in wall night light in the bathroom. We look forward to visiting every year.

Room Tip: We like the main building the best.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Mary R
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

We stayed at the Gateway Inn last week when we came into town for a concert. We picked this hotel based on the positive reviews and the price. From my first encounter on the telephone I was impressed with the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. When we arrived I was equally impressed with the room. We were on the second floor and chose to pay the additional $5 to upgrade to a room facing the courtyard. Our room was very nice and bathroom was updated and very clean. I thought this hotel was as nice as any mid level chain hotel and what I liked even more was the staff who was friendly and professional. I prefer to stay at independents over chains. I could tell that the owner cared about the guest experience and takes pride in his/her hotel. Especially for the price and location this was a great find!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the courtyard are supposed to be quieter. We trusted other reviews and did upgrade to...
2 Thank greengirl11
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

Second time I have stayed here. The place is not a Hilton, or Ritz Carlton. More like a shade or two below a Holiday Inn. But the place is clean and comfortable. The front desk is super friendly and will try to make your stay as pleasant as possible. Saturday morning all they had was a smoking room. Later that day they had a cancellation and I was able to get a non smoking room. They offer basic accommodations at fair prices. If you want more, please look somewhere else. If you want clean, quiet, comfortable (albeit small accommodations), this is the place. BTW there are not many other places to choose from.....lack of hotels in this area of Long Island. I would definitely stay there again. PS there is also a nice free continental breakfast downstairs.

2 Thank SteveM1
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

Recently we were visiting family on Long Island. We stayed at the Gateway Inn, Merrick NY.

The service was outstanding and the amenities were perfect. Our room was on the 2nd floor very clean and quiet.

The staff could not do enough for us friendly and accommodating. The continental breakfast is a real plus. .

We highly recommend the Gateway Inn.

1 Thank lita r
Also consider these accommodations in or near Merrick
Ramada Rockville Centre
Rockville Centre Inn
Rockville Centre Inn
#4 of 4 in Rockville Centre
Hampton Inn & Suites Rockville Centre
Hampton Inn & Suites Rockville C...
#2 of 4 in Rockville Centre
Red Roof PLUS+ Long Island

Been to Gateway Inn? Share your experiences!