“was very impressed”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Merrick
boca raton florida
“was very impressed”
Reviewed January 28, 2008

I lived in Freeport for 31 yrs. and had seen the gateway on my travels.we moved to fla.but decided to return to LI and needed a place to stay while looking.we decided to stay at the inn since we had seen it and I was very pleasntly surprised.at the time my husband was disabled and they were able to accomdate us with a outside room.they management and staff were more then
helpfull,the breakfast was enough to satisfy,the room and bathroom were clean and overall I would reccomend the inn to my family and friends.

• Liked — the fantastic staff who were able to accomodate my husband who had a disability
  • Disliked — the room does need upgrading a little but room was spotless
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
merrick
Reviewed November 13, 2007

Clean and comfortable
While waiting to close on a house in Merrick, my teenage daughter and I needed a place to stay locally for a couple of nights. Although the Gateway is on busy Sunrise Hwy, it had no impact on the stay-the room was quiet. The room, I must say, was quite dated (could use a good makeover re furniture) but the beds were comfortable and the room was clean; had a sitting area with table, as well. The rooom looked onto a courtyard. One word of caution for the NON SMOKERS--our room was not truly non-smoking as I had asked for (and was told that smokers in non-smoking rooms are charged $100 for the dis-service). I could smell the dank odor of old smoke which I remedied with air spray from a local store.

Also, at first I was concerned about bringing a child to this motel, but was reassured that it was business and family oriented. And sure enough, at breakfast in the lobby area, there were families and business folk. Additionally, the breakfast (included) was more than adequate-bagels, danish, cake , cereals, juice, etc. and the seating area was lovely. - and local newspaper
Overall, a decent experience at a decent price.

Stayed October 2007
1 Thank joan0219
Lake Havasu City, Arizona
Reviewed July 25, 2007

I just returned from a family gathering in Merrick, NY. My parents have stayed at the Gateway Inn on previous visits and were extremely pleased with the facility. They highly recommended it. I stayed at the Gateway for three nights and could not have asked for more. I understand they are family owned and operated. They staff is very friendly and helpful. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The continental breakfast in the lobby is very New York. Great bagels, bialeys, coffee cakes, juice, and plenty of coffee. The hotel is blocks away from the Long Island railroad train station so getting into the city is easy. The only improvement I would recommend is the replacement of the bedspreads with the new comforters with duvet covers you find in many hotel rooms today.

I will definately stay at Gateway Inn on my next trip to Long Island.

• Liked — Clean rooms and friendly staff
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank imatravlr
Cape Town, South Africa
Reviewed March 19, 2007

We were a bit worried because we had to stay in Merrick, and this was the only option. Fears soon allayed by wonderful staff. Friendly, competent and eager to please. Rooms were fine, bathroom clean and spacious. Coffee and tea available 24/7. Lovely continental breakfast included in rate. Be back for son's wedding in May - have booked 15 rooms !

• Liked — clean and spacious
  • Disliked — Cigarette smell
Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank cliffordius
Reviewed May 27, 2006

I used this Hotel to avoid drinking and driving. The party was not far from the gateway Inn. I was surprised at the size of the room and the accomidations for a mere $89. It was a week dayThe beds are huge and firm and there is a lovely veiw of the centercourt garden.
They also have cable tv and lots of room for storage. The bathroom hade all the amenities you could think of and the heat lamp was a nice touch. They even lent me a hair dryer after my shower and let me have breakfast even though my signout time was up.
I was very happy with the room and service and would be happy to satay there again as well as recogmend others. I would leave at least 10 to 15 percent for the cleaning woman considering how fresh and clean the rooms are.

• Stayed April 2006
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 6, 2005

Had to change rooms for the heater did not work but ended up in a much better room.stayed a few times was in between houses. if you can tolate noise the 1st floor is ok otherwise i would recommend the 2nd floor courtyard view inside the building easier access then outside.outside rooms about 10.00 cheaper.dont forget to use your AAA card for a discount.

• Stayed January 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 10, 2005

Are there, in fact, any non-smoking rooms at this motel? I'm not sure.

Stifling would be the word I'd use to describe the smoke smell (from a non-smoker). I thought all of NY had a no smoking policy, but I guess it doesn't extend to hotel/motel rooms.

Water was hot, pillows were thin, breakfast was 'controlled' (the attendant was nice, but I didn't really appreciate someone else to tip for walking my danish about 4 feet to me).

For the money, I guess it's OK given that it's western LI - basically an extension price-wise of NYC.

• Stayed April 2005
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Merrick
Ramada Rockville Centre
Red Roof PLUS+ Long Island
Garden City Hotel
Garden City Hotel
#2 of 4 in Garden City

Been to Gateway Inn? Share your experiences!