“Comfy beds, loud doors & thin walls”

Melville Marriott Long Island
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Melville
Upstate NY
“Comfy beds, loud doors & thin walls”
Reviewed October 9, 2010

We stayed one night In early October, traveling from the Albany area to run the Diva Half Marathon in Uniondale. Desk staff was helpful and suggested nice place for a casual-but-not-chain-restaurant dinner. Our room was standard Marriott-type with comfy beds and clean, bright bath.

The first inconvenience I noticed was parking. When we arrived back from dinner (9pm, not very late), the front parking area was full. We had to drive around and park well behind the building, where there are no card-access entrances. If guests are expected to have to hike all the way around to the front of the building, the parking lot could use a lot of extra lighting.

Well into the early morning hours, we heard slamming doors every few minutes. I know hotel room doors have to auto-shut, but you'd think they would have found a way to not have them SLAM! so loudly by now. The people in the next room were up most of the night- even though they were using normal tone, we could hear them just fine through the walls. The air conditioning system drowned that for a a few minutes, but when it started turning on-off-on-off-on-off every few minutes, that became just as annoying. We considered turning on the shower to have a little white noise but didn't want to be wasteful. The slamming doors and conversation continued well past 2am, which made us pretty cranky since we had to get up at 530am for our 13-mile run.

Courteous staff and comfy pillows helped to make our otherwise unpleasant stay more bearable. I'd try to avoid staying there again- but if given no other choice, I'd go and bring really good earplugs.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Marlborough, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 7, 2010

You're better off at a Motel 6 than this Marriott. This place 99% facad and 1% room. There was a lot of continuous noise from the indoor pool equipment and I got no sleep. I had reserved a room two weeks prior to my arrival, and Marriott said the type of room I requested was "guarunteed". However, I did not get the room I requested -- they didn't say anything when I checked in. I saw the room and then asked and they said no other rooms were available and they could not do anything about it. I am a Marriott Rewards traveler and expect much more from an expensive hotel. This place is in a lousy area and is a waste of you're valuable time and money. I don't normally complain and have never written a hotel review online.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed October 2, 2010

In our many, many years of travel, this was one of the worst hotel experiences we've ever had. There are only two reasons to stay at this hotel: because you're attending a wedding at the hotel or attending a conference at the hotel. We weren't there for either reason, and we suffered. While we were there, there was a conference going on as well as numerous weddings (one day there were four weddings going on in the hotel in a single day). Two nights in a row we were not able to go to sleep because drunken people were running up and down the halls screaming at the top of their lungs, talking loudly, banging doors, etc. until at least 3:00 or 4:00 in the morning. And if you have a room that overlooks the atrium, noise from the atrium reverberates in your room as well. Despite numerous complaints to the hotel staff, nothing was done to do anything about the noise. Clearly, this hotel has a reputation as a party hotel where people know they will be allowed to behave as wildly as they want, regardless of the fact that others may be trying to sleep. Things got so bad that we had to stay at another hotel one night, even though we had prepaid for the rooms at this hotel. We had to get some sleep, and this hotel was not the place to do that.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Greater Metro NYC
Reviewed September 15, 2010

I stay at this property about 2 -4 times per month. In the last few months, I find my experience is highly dependent on who is on duty at the Front Desk upon check in. My status as a Marriott Elite member - gold approaching platinum - doesnt seem to make a difference lately. My room preferences are frequently not respected and if you check in after 9pm, you risk being put in the least desirable rooms. This hotel is conveniently located off 110 and the "best" of the local properities. They have done room upgrades and the beds are comfy. A number of rooms face into the interior atrium - where the lounge is located - so if you are a light sleeper, you might want to request an "outside" facing room. They have also had a series of incidents in the parking lot with cars being broken into for GPS, ipods, etc - so be sure to stash your valuables BEFORE you get to the parking lot. They do have security that drives around the lot all night. Room Service is ok , but not always consistent with quality of food, temperature, etc. The staff is usually accomodating and they are open to feedback - but as a frequent guest, I don't feel it my responsibiity to reaffirm my preferences each visit. I will say overall I really like the Marriot brand. This used to be a "home away from home" experience for me - but no more. I attribute the change to frequent staff changes.and lack of an excellence in commitment to exceptional customer service. I am disheartened by what this property has become, but hopeful they will be able to rebound to the status of the Marriott brand I have come to trust.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Elmwood PArk,NJ
Reviewed August 22, 2010

It was excellent and paricularly Debbi Smith was excellent because she was taking care
of the personaly and professionaly.As long as you have employee like her people like me will always prefer the marriage party in your hotel.
Party was on 08/21/10

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank uptowndowntown
Herndon, Virginia
Reviewed August 19, 2010

I am a loyal Marriott person--Platinum Elite. I was happy to be greeted (even at midnight due to a late arrival) by a very friendly and courteous front desk staff. The hotel itself is somewhat interesting in that it looks as though it used to be an office building or a Sheraton-type hotel with the "interior" balconies and windows that face the glass-roof lobby and atrium. There was a nice Concierge Lounge that I did use, had friendly staff members but not much to eat at dinner. My room had floor-to-ceiling windows that faced a balcony-type walkway--so I had no privacy unless I closed my curtains all the way. Normally, I prefer to have them open a bit to allow light in the room as I get ready in the morning. Not an option here unless you want to give people a show! The parking was a little on the tight side, although it was free. Although the internet isn't free (typical for full-service Marriotts), it is free for Gold and Platinum members, which was a big plus. The access to NYC is fairly easy and there were some good food options within a short drive.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Albany, NY
Reviewed June 28, 2010

We (my husband and myself) are definitely fans of Marriott hotels but this one was a definite disappointment. it started with the front desk (and ended there as well) clerk who totally screwed up our entire reservation - I had booked 2 rooms - for my daughter and her family and my husband and myself - we had a free night and I paid for the remainder of the trip, including the breakfast package. What the staff did was deduct one whole room charges (3 nights, etc.) using my Marriott points (which I never agreed upon) and making it 'all too clear' they were giving us a 'courtesy' breakfast plan at no additional charge - after explaining this none to clearly, the front desk clerk said everything was find. The following day I checked online only to see that one room had no charges attached and, at that time, went back down to the front desk to get it all cleared up. Assuming all was well, we enjoyed the rest of our long weekend. This morning our bill was left under our door and...what a surprise - still zero charges attached to the bill. Now I was quite annoyed - when I, once again, went downstairs the front desk clerk told me the person who had checked us in was "new" and that's why everything was entered incorrectly. she also advised that I contact Marriott because, even though she "thought" everything was okay with my points, and she would be deducting the dollar amount from my charge card, she couldn't be sure because the points total amount was still deducted - after almost 45 minutes of discussing this, we had to check out to make our flight but i cannot tell you how annoying it is to have staff who don't have a "clue" what's going on - was definitely not impressed with this Marriott at all. The only bright star was the breakfast waitress Maria who couldn't have been nicer!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Melville
Hilton Garden Inn Melville
Hilton Long Island/Huntington
Homewood Suites Long Island - Melville
Hampton Inn Long Island/Commack
Four Points by Sheraton Melville Long Island
Hyatt Regency Long Island
Hyatt Regency Long Island
#1 of 4 in Hauppauge

Been to Melville Marriott Long Island? Share your experiences!