“A Marriott with the architectural flair of an old office building...interesting”

Melville Marriott Long Island
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Melville
Reviewed August 19, 2010

I am a loyal Marriott person--Platinum Elite. I was happy to be greeted (even at midnight due to a late arrival) by a very friendly and courteous front desk staff. The hotel itself is somewhat interesting in that it looks as though it used to be an office building or a Sheraton-type hotel with the "interior" balconies and windows that face the glass-roof lobby and atrium. There was a nice Concierge Lounge that I did use, had friendly staff members but not much to eat at dinner. My room had floor-to-ceiling windows that faced a balcony-type walkway--so I had no privacy unless I closed my curtains all the way. Normally, I prefer to have them open a bit to allow light in the room as I get ready in the morning. Not an option here unless you want to give people a show! The parking was a little on the tight side, although it was free. Although the internet isn't free (typical for full-service Marriotts), it is free for Gold and Platinum members, which was a big plus. The access to NYC is fairly easy and there were some good food options within a short drive.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business

Reviewed June 28, 2010

We (my husband and myself) are definitely fans of Marriott hotels but this one was a definite disappointment. it started with the front desk (and ended there as well) clerk who totally screwed up our entire reservation - I had booked 2 rooms - for my daughter and her family and my husband and myself - we had a free night and I paid for the remainder of the trip, including the breakfast package. What the staff did was deduct one whole room charges (3 nights, etc.) using my Marriott points (which I never agreed upon) and making it 'all too clear' they were giving us a 'courtesy' breakfast plan at no additional charge - after explaining this none to clearly, the front desk clerk said everything was find. The following day I checked online only to see that one room had no charges attached and, at that time, went back down to the front desk to get it all cleared up. Assuming all was well, we enjoyed the rest of our long weekend. This morning our bill was left under our door and...what a surprise - still zero charges attached to the bill. Now I was quite annoyed - when I, once again, went downstairs the front desk clerk told me the person who had checked us in was "new" and that's why everything was entered incorrectly. she also advised that I contact Marriott because, even though she "thought" everything was okay with my points, and she would be deducting the dollar amount from my charge card, she couldn't be sure because the points total amount was still deducted - after almost 45 minutes of discussing this, we had to check out to make our flight but i cannot tell you how annoying it is to have staff who don't have a "clue" what's going on - was definitely not impressed with this Marriott at all. The only bright star was the breakfast waitress Maria who couldn't have been nicer!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 10, 2010

Large comfortable room, great bed and bedding. Staff very helpful. Only negative was the shuttle service could not be relied on for timeliness

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed October 29, 2009

Although 20 dollars a day more expensive than the Hilton the rooms really are superior and worth it too!
The fitting and general look of the rooms is more up market than the Hilton down the road
This hotel has an open plan atrium style design and the central bar can get noisy at night especially if there a wedding on.
Good for families and some rooms overlook the pool
The gym is average but could do with more individual pieces as it could get quickly filled
On the plus side 3 treadmills!
Again no safe I’m not sure why but seems to be the norm in the states
Nice to be in a hotel that the heating still works in the autumn as more stingy operators tend to leave it turn off for an extended summer mode

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Masspecguy
Reviewed August 27, 2009

I was hesitant to stay here after reading the other reviews. However, choice is limited in Melville. I was pleasantly surprised. The rooms were big, in good condition and clean. The lobby area was nice. The temperature of the pool as indicated by others was too hot (but the kids loved it). Of note, the pool area is locked up unless you specifically ask them to open it. The front desk staff were not as friendly as I have come to expect from Marriott. However, they were not rude. The other staff were very nice. The parking seemed a little far until we found a back door entrance. Then not too bad. Overall, I would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank singsongs
Reviewed August 12, 2009

I've come to expect a lot from the Marriott name, and this facility did not meet my expectations. As many other people have indicated, this is a big facility, which means the majority of the rooms are a long distance from the lobby / parking facilities. The facility has a foul odor, somewhat of a cross between chlorine and a musty basement. I was "fortunate" enough to have a room on the indoor atrium side, and suffered from the noise and odors that others have described.
On the flip side, I cannot complain about the service. The food was definitely passable, although I have become immune to Marriott's high priced menus. The service staff were all friendly.
As someone else wrote, internet access wsa $10+/ day, which seems excessive.
I only wish I had read the reviews prior to booking / arriving at this Marriott. I would have stayed elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank btravel2
Reviewed August 11, 2009

It's a very clean hotel and my room was very clean - typical of Marriott. The staff were very friendly and helpful - typical of Marriott. However, the hotel was having air conditioning and ventilation problems during my visit. The hallways were uncomforably warm and parts of the Atrium/Lobby area were very warm and humid. The ventilation system in the Atrium/Lobby was very noisy and not typical for a hotel lobby. Fortunately, my room was comfortable and pleasant. The fitness center and indoor swimming pool were excellent and the staff will give you recommended outside walking and jogging paths. The hotel is ready for some updating and some needed maintenance. The nightly coporate rate I paid was was excessive for the value I received. I've paid much less for hotels with a better experience. This had the most negative effect on my rating. I can recommend this hotel, but with caution.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Melville
Hilton Long Island/Huntington
Hilton Garden Inn Melville
Homewood Suites by Hilton Melville - NY Hotel
The Inn At Fox Hollow Hotel
Four Points by Sheraton Melville Long Island
Viana Hotel & Spa, BW Premier Collection

Been to Melville Marriott Long Island? Share your experiences!